Low calorie drinks at the bar....Recommendations?

Options

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Not only is red wine is full of heart-healthy benefits and antioxidants, it’s also low in sugar in comparison to white or rose. A small glass has around 75 calories, depending on levels of sweetness
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Fit4MyKidzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like this idea!!
    My standby is always vodka, water, with a few lemon and lime slices. Or I'll ask for vodka with half cranberry juice, half water.

• Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Great idea!!!
    Light Vodka Cranberry! Vodka, then equal parts club soda and light cranberry juice. Or, if they don't carry light cranberry, get mostly club soda and about a shot's worth of regular cranberry juice.

• Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    I don't think I ever can either! lol..I just need something a little less calories since I am a long island girl!
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Aaand white rum with diet ginger ale.

I will never give up drinking!! haha

Oh and vodka-soda, with a splash of cranberry. Lemon wedge optional.

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Sailor Jerry with diet coke or vodka tonics. That's what I would do if I wanted to drink low-cal.

But when I drink, I wanna drink. I'll have an old-fashioned, please.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I drink Vodka with diet 7up and a "splash" of cranberry juice.
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    I'll be trying this!
    I'm a vodka gal too.... I stock up on all the various flavors of seltzer for at home drinking (they're 0 cal) but in a bar, I go Vodka with Club Soda, extra limes (and juice the limes really good into the drink).

• Fit4MyKidzz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Forgot about that. I could do a vodka water and add mio or like the liquid crystal lights! Awesome!
    I drink my shots with diet soda, plain water, or water mixed with a water enhancer (mio or something of the sort, they are 0 cals). Husband looks at me like I have two heads. *shrugs*

• Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    never had it..defiantly will be trying it :)
    Why don't you just drink vodka with diet coke?

• Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    vodka contains alot of calories too which I learned the hard way...
    All alcohol has calories.
    When i drink with friend,s its usually half a bottle ot a full bottle of vodka. I think half a bottle was aorund 700 calories?
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    in because alcohol threads always go smoothly. LOL

Drink what you like, log it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My only advice is CHECK YOUR PORTIONS!!! Most beer entries on here are for 12 oz., while many bars or restaurants will offer 16 oz. pints or 24 oz. mugs. Most shot entries include calories for 1 oz. shots (approx. 65-70 calories), while most bars pour you 1.5 oz. (closer to 100-105 calories) or more (bars in Chinese restaurants, at least the ones in Portland).
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going out, do some extra work to earn the calories.

I know when my wife and I are going to have a date night. I plan accordingly. Extra walking that day, maybe another 30 minutes at the gym.

Better to earn the extra calories and enjoy the drinks, IMO.
  • JeepJeep87
    JeepJeep87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Beers can be a good option (light beers can be around 100 calories) but they can add up. If I want to have a buzz then I'll go with something stronger like vodka and diet coke or diet Sierra mist. Just keep in mind that bartenders "eyeball" shots so you may be drinking more calories than you think.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    These threads are annoying. Drinking itself is a bad choice already and then you want to watch what you drink to stick with diet? Just freaking drink. The last thing on my mind when I'm out to have a good night is watching what I drink/eat because it's already a bad choice to drink alcohol itself.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a beer girl myself. Forget the light beer crap -- life's too short. I create room in my calorie budget for craft beer and I usually stick to tasters that I share with friends so I can try a lot of different beers in small quantities.

I also enjoy a glass of wine with dinner sometimes. I try to limit it to one, though.

If the occasion calls for a cocktail, I'll usually go for vodka-soda with a twist and stop at one. If I'm in a place where there's social pressure to drink, I can often get away with ordering just club soda after that and people assume I'm keeping up drink for drink when in truth there's no more vodka in mine. (I know, I know, why not just tell them I'm not drinking? But usually I don't want to open up a whole discussion about it. So that's my fall-back.)

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    These threads are annoying. Drinking itself is a bad choice already and then you want to watch what you drink to stick with diet? Just freaking drink. The last thing on my mind when I'm out to have a good night is watching what I drink/eat because it's already a bad choice to drink alcohol itself.

That's exactly the wrong way of looking at it. Drinking itself is no more "bad" than eating pizza or chocolate cake is. These things are fine in moderation. Calorie counting is power: You have the power to budget these things into your life without completely derailing yourself or going over. It's easy with a little practice. The minute you start shaming certain foods, you're setting yourself up for a binge cycle because you go out and start drinking without any plan and the next thing you know, you're several thousand calories into the night and you've undone a week of progress.

Of course, I'm not talking about circumstances where someone has a problem with alcohol abuse. I'm talking about adults who drink socially in moderation without any problems.
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Take that negativity elsewhere! I asked what can I drink when out and about because YES I do enjoy socializing with friends and having a few drinks! I think it is a good thing that I am trying to find something with less calories so that I don't completely have to say NO to a few drinks here and there..No to nothing, Everything is moderation is what I go by..What you go by is your business!

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well...no. We encourage moderation, good habits and watching calories here. So that's bad advice. Many of us here, myself included became overweight, because we said, screw it, just drink it/eat it, have fun in life. I justified eating and drinking whenever with that mentality and was way overweight because of it.

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    LinseyGill wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    LinseyGill wrote: »
    I am a vodka girl. YES, I know that alcohol doesn't help with weight loss, however there are going to be times that I will be with friends at the bar. What are some good suggestions? I really like vodka but vodka and oj or pineapple juice can add up on calories as well as sugar. Not sure that I would like tonic water or anything like that because it is flavorless.....Anyone? I am not a dark liquor drinker.

High in the flavour stakes & requires no mixers - whiskey! You also won't drink to much, it's impossible.

What do you mean?

I mean you won't overdo the calories by drinking too much of it. It's a drink to be savoured

Never been a whiskey drinker, but I'll have to try it this weekend when I go out with friends.