Carb Free, or Everything in small Portions???

Options
So, I am struggling with creating a food plan. I have always been a horrible judge of food and how much of something I can or can not have. I have been cracking every cell of my brain on what is the better route to go. I have done weight watchers a long time ago but I found myself saving my points in order to eat the worst items possible. My mom is telling me that Atkins is the way to go. So, please some advice in this category would help me tremendously. If you must be brutal that is fine I can take it, just try to be constructively brutal lol..

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as good or bad foods. The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you can decide on a diet that works for you. I eat anything I want in moderation, but some people love eating a low carb diet. Low carbs doesn't = weight loss though, so keep that in mind.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit.

That's it. No gimmicks, no long term meal plans where you eat the same thing constantly, etc. Fad diets don't work, calorie counting does.

The rest is about nutrition; and as an adult, you likely know how that works. Aim to hit your hardest to hit macro first (for most of us that's protein).

Also, it's impossible to go carb free and eat a nutritious diet. Fruits and veggies? They're carbs too.
  • AllOfTheStars77
    AllOfTheStars77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good to know, thank you. Before I was just eating a lot smaller portions of anything just not doughnuts and things like that. It worked, I am not looking for a quick fix that is for sure. Since it took me ten years to get this big I am sure it is going to take me sometime to get back to where I should be. Thank you so much though I appreciate it.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Just balance your diet and eat in moderate portions that fit your calorie goal. I use 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat with great success. Figure out your current BMR and use that as your goal as you lose. It's just that simple. Your brain needs those carbs to function!! If it doesn't get them and has to struggle to create energy, it can affect your metabolism. (I have a friend who is a respected scientist currently researching this and it has been proven that the brain will reallocate resources to itself when needed) ... don't skrimp on nutrition. Eat whole foods first, get your nutrition (protein!) and then have a few treats with whatever calories are left over. ... GOOD LUCK!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Eat all foods in moderation.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Atkin's can be good if you have a metabolic reason for eating low carb (such as hypoglycemia, any blood sugar issues, PCOS, etc). Other then that though, it's just a way to restrict. When you cut out sugar/carbs, you kind of naturally remove about 99.9% of junk food from your diet. If you find you enjoy eating mostly meat and vegetables, then go for it, but some people feel fatigued, and it just isn't worth it for them.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an everything in moderation kind of person . . . but it's totally up to you to find what works for you. I don't feel as though there are any good or bad foods, per se, just too much of anything is really not good for you.

Feel free to add me if you're looking for friends :)
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    Gosh, thank you that is very interesting to know. So, 40, 30, and 30. That seems simple enough
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So, I am struggling with creating a food plan. I have always been a horrible judge of food and how much of something I can or can not have. I have been cracking every cell of my brain on what is the better route to go. I have done weight watchers a long time ago but I found myself saving my points in order to eat the worst items possible. My mom is telling me that Atkins is the way to go. So, please some advice in this category would help me tremendously. If you must be brutal that is fine I can take it, just try to be constructively brutal lol..

Eat what you want but eat at a deficit. Pretty simple. Let's not make it harder than what it is.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Small portions. Atkins only works if you stick with it forever. If you ever start eating carbs again, your weight will go back up. It DOES work well and quickly, but it doesn't teach you portion control or maintaining after the fact. Plus, depriving yourself of an entire food group is really difficult and a lot of people feel very sick on Atkins. It's difficult to stay with, especially for forever!

On the other hand, you can eat whatever you want, just smaller portions of it. You know what is healthy and what isn't. But if you really want that burger and fries once a week, you can budget it into your calories. You probably won't be able to eat it every day, so you'll find healthier alternatives. Calorie counting teaches you how much you should really be eating and because you're not deprived - you can eat anything, just maybe not every day or huge amounts of it - it's much easier to stick to.

Good luck!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that portion control is the answer. Calories in Calories out. I refuse to be on a diet for the rest of my life. Stay in a calorie deficit and eat what you like. Who wants to go without carbs for the rest of your life. Just fit the carbs in. Eat less and move more. Log everything which will make you accountable. It's amazing when you start seeing the results. :)
  • DeeDeeS13
    DeeDeeS13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of what folks have said, be smart, be sure to get a decent amount of protein, moderate amount of fat and carbs. Eat 'right' 80% of the time and you'll be able to indulge a little in the less healthy things you like 20% of the time. There's no magic, be smart about how you eat and create good habits (lean protein, a lot of vegetables, few carbs, a little bit of fruit, some sweets or snacks in small portions). Good luck, you can do it!
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I will say Low carbs & Low Sugar has worked for me. I have lost over 70 pounds since the middle of November 2014. That said I do Believe what has helped me the most is knowing my BMR Number Then setting my calories under that by 500-1000 a day. My BMR was about 2580 when i started and i focused on 1500-2000 a day. lowered my carbs and sugars also. The key thing about your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate ) Its the amount of Calories you need to have to not gain or lose weight if you laid in bed all the time. So the fact you get up and go to work or go do anything burns calories so your deficit becomes bigger even more. As Lemonsnow Said Low Carbs don't equal Weight loss You need to really create a lifestyle that works for you. I have cut breads and pizza out of my life all my liquid carbs and sugars other than my smoothies. i reward myself with a nice nacho night once a month but when i hit the 250s witch is soon for the first time in about 25 years i plan to go out eat pizza with friends :) Good Luck you can do this I believe if i can focus and create something that has worked for me anyone can with the right passion and purpose :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want that meets your calorie goal. Don't demonize any foods.

You may notice that certain foods make you feel fuller longer. Eat more of those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit.

That's it. No gimmicks, no long term meal plans where you eat the same thing constantly, etc. Fad diets don't work, calorie counting does.

The rest is about nutrition; and as an adult, you likely know how that works. Aim to hit your hardest to hit macro first (for most of us that's protein).

This is what works for me.

Understanding what I need to do to lose--eat at a certain number.

And then focusing on eating in a healthy and balanced way.

For me, doing this helps me feel satisfied on fewer calories and not obsess about restrictions, since there are none. I enjoy my diet, and if I want ice cream or a cookie, I can find a way to fit it in, but do so without sacrificing my overall nutrition goals or calorie deficit. Again, for me, that makes it sustainable over time, and since I started with lots to lose and now hope to maintain it has to be something that I will enjoy over the long haul, that has some flexibility.
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    Thank you everyone so very much for everything, It looks like I will be eating what I want and making sure I figure out my bmr. I am assuming I can look this up online?? I will figure it out. If anyone can use more friends please feel free to add me. I tried adding a few people and they declined stating I wasn't the kind of friend they were looking for, so; I won't be trying to add more friends myself lol oh well. good luck to you all and thank you so much
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My dad swears by Atkins and low-carb style weight loss. He does it every year, in January for their biggest loser competition and usually loses 30lbs or so each spring. It does ramp up the carb consumption, so you aren't completely carb-free for long.

Here's the problem. He does this every year. So, he's gaining the weight back in the fall. I mean, the guy was a military officer for two decades, you'd think he'd notice something. I know he doesn't have to make weight anymore, but oy.

I wanted to start the way he did it at first, because I only saw the results. But, it wasn't for me. Especially in the summer (BERRIES!!!) and in the winter (COOKIES!!!) I have to still have all of the things.

So, what's worked for me (still working on it!) is moderation of everything. Learning that a plateful of food is not really what I need. I can eat a few fries and get the satisfaction of eating them, but not eating the whole bag. Lots of movement.

I started three years ago on Memorial day at 237. I dropped as low as 193 last year (did a Disney vacation and totally went off track afterwards!), went back up to 220 in January and am back down to (as of this morning) to 201.4 (so close!!) I just had a handful of M&Ms to go with my turkey sandwich, apple and cheese, and don't feel the need to eat the whole 14oz bag anymore like I did before. I think I found my comfort zone again, and can easily eat like this for the rest of my life. I think that is the key.
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    wow rogstar that is fantastic, so from what I have understood Atkins only good for people who want to loose a quick amount of weight and not worried about putting it back on like for a wedding or party or something like that, portion control is for a lifetime/lifestyle change. I love all of you for all of your wonderful thoughts and being pretty cool about sharing your thoughts and ideas
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    One of the things MFP really helped me with was learning portion sizes. For over a year I logged very religiously i.e. every bite of food and every drop of drink that went into my body. I weighed high calorie foods. By doing this, I've gotten much better at portions and can now estimate pretty well how many calories are on my plate.

As for macros, I found that consciously trying to eat more protein had a number of advantages for me: I seem to feel full longer, fewer cravings, better mood, and less acid reflux. I agree with the others about not demonizing particular foods and eating what you want in smaller portions. That said, I have some foods I avoid when I'm losing because I have a difficult time controlling myself with portion control on those specific foods. But I'm clear that it's not that the food is bad, it's that I have a weakness there and it's easier for me to just avoid situations where that food is my only choice whenever I can.

BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Based on your description, it sounds like your issues are not really around which foods you choose, it is around portion control. This is by far the most common problem, but people don't want to admit this and deal with it.

To lose weight, you will have to eat fewer calories. Changing which foods you eat alone will almost certainly not make a big difference in the total number of calories you consume. It may shave a few off, sure, but not enough to reduce your calorie surplus to a substantial enough calorie deficit to lose weight.

If you want to be successful at weight loss, you're going to have to practice portion control. Admitting that you are "a horrible judge" of how much of something you are eating is a good first step. Now you can start making your choices about how much to eat more mindfully and start measuring your portions.

Before you say "I don't want to measure my food, that sounds obsessive" (because LOL we hear that all the time) bear in mind that if you're a bad judge of portions, you will frankly NEVER LOSE WEIGHT until you become a good judge of portions. And you'll at least temporarily need to measure for a while (in your case, given your history, a LONG WHILE) to get better at it.

Once you have settled on how many calories you should be eating per day to achieve reasonable goals, here are some tips for eating within your goal.

1) Start measuring your food and logging everything honestly right now. Today. Not tomorrow. This is something you can do before you make any decisions or investments. You don't need to shop for new food or use up leftovers or buy tools, you don't need to research your BMI or TDEE, you don't need to decide if you're going to eat different foods or change your diet. You can do this starting with the very next meal you eat.

Why is it so important to do this immediately? Because it will start teaching you more about what effect your food choices make on your daily calories. You will very quickly start building up an understanding of how many calories are really in your standard sized servings of the foods you typically eat every day. And that information is power. Power to make good decisions.

2) Measure your food. I'm serious. I'm gonna keep harping on this. No guesstimating. No eyeballing. None of that. You have to measure food for a while, or there's no point given your history of not judging how much food you can eat or are eating. For most people, this means weighing. Because weighing is more consistent than using measuring cups for everything but liquids. But if you don't have a food scale right now, today, then use measuring cups RIGHT NOW. No excuses, no procrastination. It's more important to try to measure AT ALL then to worry about the method. But yeah, I strongly endorse kitchen scales, and if you don't have one, look into getting one. Digital ones are cheap, easy to use, easy to store, don't take up much space on your counter or in your cupboard. And did I mention they are CHEAP?

3) At the end of each day, scan your food diary and look at the items with the highest calorie values. Were those foods nourishing and healthful? How did you feel after you ate them? Physically? Mentally? You may find that some quick assessments like these can help you identify foods you might want to cut back on because they don't make you happy enough to justify the calories. Or they may do the opposite: help you better identify foods that help you meet your goals for nutrition and satiety.

4) Start pre-planning / pre-logging. At the end of each day -- maybe even once a week -- sketch out your food plan and fill in your food diary for the upcoming day (or several days) to meet your calorie and nutrition goals. I tend to fill in 80% of my calories at least the day before, leaving myself a cushion for snacks / treats at the end of the night or for things that surprise me when I measure them. Not only has this helped me meet my calorie goals (and lose >175 lbs over 2 years), it's also helped me waste less food, use leftovers better, take advantage of grocery store sales, and has saved me money. Worth it. And it certainly helps you again, better build those skills around knowing how much you can eat.