critiquing my diary

Options
new to this whole weight loss thing. i was wondering if someone could take a look at my diary foods and see if i am doing the right thing. btw i take in the most carbs at breakfast because i usually go to the gym after breakfast.

Replies

• HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me! How much do you weigh? With that large of a deficit, you'll want to keep protein high/adequate to minimize lean body mass loss... although over a 100g is a great start! If you are weight lifting, you may want to consider up to 1g per lb of body weight, but really, getting over 100g a day is really good.

I struggle to get near 90 myself, so I don't know how people do it...
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? I see mixed entries for cups, ounces and grams so I can't tell, but moving to a food scale will really help you tighten up your entries. I weigh whatever I can - all solids and then stuff like peanut butter, yogurt, protein powder, etc. The calorie-dense items can really add up. I bought mine on Amazon for $15 and have no complaints.

Good luck!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You’re not weighing everything on a food scale: fruit, pasta, peanut butter. This can really add up, so I’d recommend you weigh all your solids.

Getting protein isn’t that hard - I get around 130g every day within 1000 calories (leaving me 400 calories for ice cream and related yummies).
  • Luisc82787
    Luisc82787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    manders_b wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale? I see mixed entries for cups, ounces and grams so I can't tell, but moving to a food scale will really help you tighten up your entries. I weigh whatever I can - all solids and then stuff like peanut butter, yogurt, protein powder, etc. The calorie-dense items can really add up. I bought mine on Amazon for $15 and have no complaints.

Good luck!

yea i got a food scale and i have been using it. ive been trying to weigh everything in grams!
  • Luisc82787
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    You’re not weighing everything on a food scale: fruit, pasta, peanut butter. This can really add up, so I’d recommend you weigh all your solids.

Getting protein isn’t that hard - I get around 130g every day within 1000 calories (leaving me 400 calories for ice cream and related yummies).

ive been weighing my fruit and also been using USDA to see how may grams to put in.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You're not weighing everything on a food scale!? O, the sacrilege! You're in big trouble now.

No, actually, weigh your food if you want to, but there is no such requirement.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If you are weight lifting, you may want to consider up to 1g per lb of body weight, but really, getting over 100g

That's a myth
    . You likely don't need anywhere near that much.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Luisc82787 wrote: »

ive been weighing my fruit and also been using USDA to see how may grams to put in.

Oh, so for Banana - Dole, 1 medium banana (126g), Strawberries - Raw, 1 cup, halves, Shoprite - Frozen Tropical Fruit Blend, 3/4 cup, etc, you verify the weight but log in cups? That works!
  • Luisc82787
    Options

Oh, so for Banana - Dole, 1 medium banana (126g), Strawberries - Raw, 1 cup, halves, Shoprite - Frozen Tropical Fruit Blend, 3/4 cup, etc, you verify the weight but log in cups? That works!
    yea lol im still trying to get used to all of this lol!
  • Luisc82787
    Options
    You're not weighing everything on a food scale!? O, the sacrilege! You're in big trouble now.

No, actually, weigh your food if you want to, but there is no such requirement.

sometimes i go over like 5 or 6 grams i doubt it will kill me
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    You eat a lot of fruit and drink a lot of juice (OJ). The juice is pretty high in sugar; you might want to up your protein and cut back on the juice. Also, I don't know if the day's over yet for you, but you could eat more since you're quite a bit under on calories.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think under 1500 is rather low for a male. I only see two days logged but one was 1200 and the other 1400-something.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I do the same thing you do - my diary has many entries that are in cups, but I do my weighing in grams. I'm just too lazy to keep digging through entries for one with grams or edit existing ones all the time. If a serving is 1/2 cup (28g), I'll weigh out the 28g, then look for an entry with the correct calories, etc, even if it's listed as 1/2 cup instead of the 28g.

I know I'm doing it right so I'm not worried about my diary being "wrong."

~Lyssa
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I do the same thing you do - my diary has many entries that are in cups, but I do my weighing in grams. I'm just too lazy to keep digging through entries for one with grams or edit existing ones all the time. If a serving is 1/2 cup (28g), I'll weigh out the 28g, then look for an entry with the correct calories, etc, even if it's listed as 1/2 cup instead of the 28g.

~Lyssa

I do this too. I think some people can't wrap their heads around the fact that some of us measure out 1 serving exactly and log it as a cup or tablespoon.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

I do this too. I think some people can't wrap their heads around the fact that some of us measure out 1 serving exactly and log it as a cup or tablespoon.

I think it's also due to many people using the cup or tablespoon measurements and then coming here asking why they're not losing/losing as expected.

My 1 cup of chopped carrots probably won't be exactly the same amount as someone else's, but if we both weigh it out, it won't matter what the food is in. Being a little off with veggies wouldn't do too much harm, either, but once it's more calorie-dense stuff, that causes issues.

~Lyssa
  • Luisc82787
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I think under 1500 is rather low for a male. I only see two days logged but one was 1200 and the other 1400-something.
    only time i drink juice really is in the AM with my shake
  • Luisc82787
    Options

~Lyssa

trying to do grams sometimes is a pain in the *kitten* lol
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Just here for the parade of folks who weigh in grams but often log in cups or spoons. I have found my people! (I am trying to get better about changing database entries to log in grams, but sometimes I'm lazy or busy and just go with the easiest entry.) Every single thing in my diary has been weighed out by gram, but if I've weighed exactly a serving I'm comfortable logging it as such and moving on.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    If you are weight lifting, you may want to consider up to 1g per lb of body weight, but really, getting over 100g

That's a myth

This is the second best news I heard all day!
  • Luisc82787
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

That's a myth

This is the second best news I heard all day!

i dont really know how to get a lot of protein in