geezes myfitnesspal... the sugar....

Options
ienieelf
ienieelf Posts: 2 Member
Eat a banana, a bag of green beans and a bag of bell peppers and a salad with a few beet slices and MFP acts like you've just gorged on twinkies. It is annoying.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Track fiber instead.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Track fiber instead.

Yep, I track fiber instead of sugar too.
  • ienieelf
    ienieelf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • bcfast
    bcfast Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar weather it is natural or processed
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Fibre and iron for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    bcfast wrote: »
    sugar is sugar weather it is natural or processed

that may be true, but MFP's sets its sugar total based on amount of added sugar, according to RDA, or some other body, but at the same time does not distinguish in the diary what is added or natural.

best thing to do is ignore sugar unless you are diabetic. Sugar is a carb, and you already track those.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Double check MFP info. The other day I created a recipe that supposedly had 20K calories in half a serving! Ends up, MFP said that 1 medium banana had 10K calories. I've seen other foods that were a mess as well.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal would cry for me if it were a person. It suggests I consume only 32 grams of sugar a day... Saturday I consumed 168.2 grams!
    However, whenever I get blood work done my blood sugar is always where it should be. Go figure.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't even ave sugar on my list of things I see anymore. I traded it for potassium, as I recently had a bout with it being low (holy tiredness and leg pains, batman!) Today was a mcmuffin, some grape tomatoes, 5 green grapes, and a smart ones frozen meal which had BBQ sauce. 10 bucks says I'd be over already, lol.

I try to stay under my calories, meet my protein, and stay "around" my fat and carbs.

• fishsquisher
    fishsquisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    Myfitnesspal would cry for me if it were a person. It suggests I consume only 32 grams of sugar a day... Saturday I consumed 168.2 grams!
    However, whenever I get blood work done my blood sugar is always where it should be. Go figure.

How much sugar you eat per day has nothing to do with blood sugar levels, except immediately (as in up to an hour) after you eat. Insulin does its job and stores those unused calories as fat. The problem with eating large amounts of sugar has to do with the long term cellular effects of blasting your body with the massive levels of insulin required to frequently process large numbers of carbohydrates. Limiting sugar is good for your long term health, and to guard against type 2 diabetes, not to mention your waistline.

It matters little whether that sugar is processed or not, but including some fiber when you eat sugary foods such as bananas can help slow down the digestive process, which will draw out the insulin response over a longer period (which is good for your body). Tracking fiber, however, is not an appropriate substitute for tracking sugar if you are interested in long term health or weight loss.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I dont worry about going over on sugar as long as I know its healthy sugars. It hasnt effected my weightloss one bit
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical reason to really watch your daily sugar intake, I would ignore what is listed for sugar and focus instead on what you find to be more important for your health needs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I track sugar and fiber. I don't believe that unlimited sugar is a good thing. It seems to catch up with you later in life.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options

How much sugar you eat per day has nothing to do with blood sugar levels, except immediately (as in up to an hour) after you eat. Insulin does its job and stores those unused calories as fat. The problem with eating large amounts of sugar has to do with the long term cellular effects of blasting your body with the massive levels of insulin required to frequently process large numbers of carbohydrates. Limiting sugar is good for your long term health, and to guard against type 2 diabetes, not to mention your waistline.

It matters little whether that sugar is processed or not, but including some fiber when you eat sugary foods such as bananas can help slow down the digestive process, which will draw out the insulin response over a longer period (which is good for your body). Tracking fiber, however, is not an appropriate substitute for tracking sugar if you are interested in long term health or weight loss.

Blah, it's so easy to get consumed with scale and test numbers I always forget to consider the more scientific long-term side of it!
    Do you happen to watch your sugar? How many grams do you average a day?
    I find it just about impossible to stay within the recommendation, I don't know how people do it - EVERYTHING has sugar it seems! Please please please give me a sample day for you if you actually do this!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I track sugar and fiber. I don't believe that unlimited sugar is a good thing. It seems to catch up with you later in life.

No one says unlimited sugar. Sugar is a carb and you have a carb goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I track sugar from time to time and personally try to keep my added sugars to about 5% of calories just as a general preference for my diet, but I don't see any need for overall sugars to be 15% or less of calories. Since my calories aren't that low I'm rarely over that anyway, when I track, but if they were lower fruit and veggies and dairy could easily put me over, so if being over stresses you out I'd switch to something else.

Fiber is a good choice because you track carbs already and getting enough fiber tends to be an indicator that those carbs include a good amount of nutrient dense options, like fruits, veggies, legumes, and whole grains, and not so much of the lower nutrient/higher calorie options.

My guess is that if someone focuses on eating a good diet overall and keeping their calories in check that they aren't going to be eating unlimited sugar anyway.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

No one says unlimited sugar. Sugar is a carb and you have a carb goal.

I don't believe having all, or even most of, your carbs come from sugar is a good thing.
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a battle to get my carbs under control and get my proteins up. I'll worry about tracking sugar again once my macros are more in line with the generally accepted guidelines. I'm happy for those able to make big changes in a short time, but for my mental health it's a baby step here and a baby step there. And I don't need the MFP sugar column rebuking me perpetually while I get there.

I do want to get my sugars down in the end - but for now, working on getting the carbs/fats/proteins in closer balance first.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Blah, it's so easy to get consumed with scale and test numbers I always forget to consider the more scientific long-term side of it!
    Do you happen to watch your sugar? How many grams do you average a day?
    I find it just about impossible to stay within the recommendation, I don't know how people do it - EVERYTHING has sugar it seems! Please please please give me a sample day for you if you actually do this!!

@hgycta I've just recently managed to do this, even on a relatively low calorie and low carb plan, so take heart, it is possible! Although on some days too much dairy can put me slightly over. Sunday 17 May would be a good example in my diary.

Sugar is a huge problem for me so I'm determined to get a grip on it. My daily goal is 45g (that's total, not free sugars).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ienieelf wrote: »
    Eat a banana, a bag of green beans and a bag of bell peppers and a salad with a few beet slices and MFP acts like you've just gorged on twinkies. It is annoying.

so track something else. MFP's sugar recommendations are for ADDED, refined sugars