Popcorn?

Options

Replies

• lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have popcorn and I love it. As another person here mentioned, you can look for the 100 calorie bags and they are usually enough to satisfy a craving. I don't add anything to mine as I love it just the way it is plain. When the holidays come around, it's another matter. I have to be careful not to overindulge in the kettle corn that's drizzled in chocolate and caramel. It's my favorite snack during that time of the year.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have a maple syrup and bacon popcorn. It is 69 calories for 15g which is oceans for me and I enjoy every mouthful. :lol:
  • ivylaurenolsen
    ivylaurenolsen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Loved reading all your opinions everyone! Totally going to try the 100 calorie bags like some of you said.
    Of course, moderation is still very important. But yay! Popcorn!
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Avoid movie theater popcorn. I work at a theater. The kernels are okay, but the "buttery topping"...I have no idea what it is
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Don't the cals absolutely depend on if it's buttered, cheesed, sugared, carameled, plain, etc?
    Yes, but the post said it is kettle corn, so it is made with salt and sugar.

Really? Huh. I had no idea there was a difference.

I thought pop corn was on the lower side, calorie wise. Still sounding like a good snack alternative though. For some good mindless munchin' lol. I'm gonna do some research on it.

Kettle corn is a flavor of popcorn and is buttery, salty and sweet. It's really good.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Hence my appreciation for the 100 calorie bags. 1 bag = 1 serving, easy enough for a dummy like me to figure out :)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Pop Secret microwave popcorn may be 35 calories per cup, but it also contains 2.5g of fat. So 23 out of 35 calories are from fat. I'm not a low-fat eater but I do try to watch where my fat calories come from. That's way too high of a percentage of fat for me. I prefer to make my own so I can control the fat and salt content. Air poppers and the Whirly Pop aluminum old-fashioned crank-style poppers are my favorites.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with popcorn....I grew up on "skillet popcorn" my dad would put oil in a skillet on the stove and pop the kernels...yum!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Microwave popcorn math is insane - but 35 calories of kettlecorn wouldn't be much more than a few kernels. I think you're doing the math wrong. I only buy the 100 calorie bags because I can't handle the math. They're pretty small.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I pop my own and add seasonings. My current favorites are Cajun seasoning and Olivio spray butter or a half tablespoon of melted real butter with a teaspoon of brown sugar and some cinnamon mixed in. I usually pop 3 tablespoons of kernels to get about 5 cups of popcorn.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I pop my own and add seasonings. My current favorites are Cajun seasoning and Olivio spray butter or a half tablespoon of melted real butter with a teaspoon of brown sugar and some cinnamon mixed in. I usually pop 3 tablespoons of kernels to get about 5 cups of popcorn.

I do to :) have all the kind of taste from kernel seasoning and make some myself
    and i have the butter stprays too...but there is one butter spray called Winona...and that one is goooooood very taste full.

• TheMicheleLea
    TheMicheleLea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A snack size bag of Skinny Girl popcorn is like 24 calories. I eat them every once and awhile. It's not awesome, but good enough when you're hungry and don't have many calories left.
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn too! However, I don't do microwave. I pop it myself on the stove. It's quite easy and so much more crunchy! It's much cheaper that way too! Plus, no chemicals or preservatives.

Tastes... fresher than anything in a bag. I do try to control the amount of oil I use. I salt the oil, instead of salting after it's popped. I don't use butter because I find popped in oil is enough.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I bought an air popper and buy the kernels from the grocery store. 4 cups of popped corn that way = 120 cals. FOUR CUPS. Melt a tbsp of olive oil margarine = 120 cal and add a little shaker seasoning (~ 12cals)

this lasts me two days... sometimes more.

And way better for you in terms of the crap they put in the microwave stuff... plus it's fluffier and light and fun to watch. :smiley:
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    So I cannot be trusted with a whole bag of popcorn so I get the 100 calorie bags and just eat one of those so I am forced into serving size.
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    will post later on my bowl of popcorn....and remember i am not ashamed at all to eat that all on my own :p lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    will post later on my bowl of popcorn....and remember i am not ashamed at all to eat that all on my own :p lol

I just finished off a huge bag of my own, after a serving of ice cream and a serving of frozen yogurt.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    yummieeeeeeee well i have some fruit and almonds ready to go too also. Maybe i should swap the almonds for some yogurt...hmmm? thinking.....your fault...now i have to decide.
    what to do?

what to do?.......................
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    yummieeeeeeee well i have some fruit and almonds ready to go too also. Maybe i should swap the almonds for some yogurt...hmmm? thinking.....your fault...now i have to decide.
    what to do?

what to do?.......................

haha almonds are fun but they are so little for so many calories. I mixed my yogurt/frozen yogurt with pb2 and cocoa powder...mmm