Women Below 5 ft tall..Starting weight & Daily Calorie Goals??

Options
Hi there Ladies! Trying to see how many "shorties" of us there are. I am only 4ft 10 and started a new mfp page yesterday for a new start. I am currently 225 lbs and mfp suggested me to start at 1490 calories a day. Seems high for me but if I eat anything below like 1350 a day I am really hungry. If you are under 5 ft, what was your starting weight and current weight and also do you go off of the mfp recommendations?

Replies

• 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 ft 11 just. I'm on 1150 cals a day and works for me. Not hungry often and got plenty of energy. Started 162 lbs and now 141 in just under 6 months. Not exercising yet so that is next step. Cooking meals from scratch and health so much better. Low cholesterol and sugar.
  • GonnaCrackIt
    GonnaCrackIt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm 4'11 and on 1200 but struggling a bit. Start weight 146 now 140 2 1/2 wks but now slow. Considering exercise next so I can increase cals. Always loved being short till I started dieting lol x
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Fit4MyKidzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok so both of you ladies are quite smaller than me so a smaller calorie range is probably better. Some say us shorter women don't need more food but I think it is really based off what you weigh...
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft and aim for about 1150 a day- without excerise cals. I started at 126lbs and am now about 109lbs.
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Ok I see. You are way smaller than me though so I can understand that.
    I'm 5ft and aim for about 1150 a day- without excerise cals. I started at 126lbs and am now about 109lbs.

• GonnaCrackIt
    GonnaCrackIt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok so both of you ladies are quite smaller than me so a smaller calorie range is probably better. Some say us shorter women don't need more food but I think it is really based off what you weigh...

Haven't been on here long but lots of posts I've read have advised your BMR is based on weight as well as height so starting at about 1490 may be right. Is this what mfp recommends? Wishing you best of luck x
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not only does height count but your age and exercise setting make a difference. Younger people tend to burn more calories. As far as exercise setting, you may have yours set to lightly active wheareas other may have theirs at sedentary.

You can always double check it. Go scooby's workshop website. There is a accurate calorie calculator. Input everything (gender, weight, height, age, activity and how much you would like to cut). This will give you 3 numbers bmr (calories needed if you did nothing), tdee (calories for you to maintain your current weight and your goal according to how much you want to cut (20% as an example).

• jojo1979xxx
    jojo1979xxx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a shortie and would love some new friends on the same journey sharing our struggles xx
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    I used the TDEE calculator before and felt it gave me way too much to eat, but thanks for the advice. I gained with that method
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    Not only does height count but your age and exercise setting make a difference. Younger people tend to burn more calories. As far as exercise setting, you may have yours set to lightly active wheareas other may have theirs at sedentary.

You can always double check it. Go scooby's workshop website. There is a accurate calorie calculator. Input everything (gender, weight, height, age, activity and how much you would like to cut). This will give you 3 numbers bmr (calories needed if you did nothing), tdee (calories for you to maintain your current weight and your goal according to how much you want to cut (20% as an example).

• Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Yes mfp suggests 1490 for me at 37 yrs old, 4 ft 10 & 225 lbs starting weight.

Haven't been on here long but lots of posts I've read have advised your BMR is based on weight as well as height so starting at about 1490 may be right. Is this what mfp recommends? Wishing you best of luck x

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I used the TDEE calculator before and felt it gave me way too much to eat, but thanks for the advice. I gained with that method

Did you eat the TDEE calories?

• Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    No I ate at the deficit it gave me for 20% off

Did you eat the TDEE calories?

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Hi there Ladies! Trying to see how many "shorties" of us there are. I am only 4ft 10 and started a new mfp page yesterday for a new start. I am currently 225 lbs and mfp suggested me to start at 1490 calories a day. Seems high for me but if I eat anything below like 1350 a day I am really hungry. If you are under 5 ft, what was your starting weight and current weight and also do you go off of the mfp recommendations?

I am 4'11 and also 37 years old!
    I am 130lbs now. I think I was 136 lbs when I seriously started using MFP (but have been losing weight for the past 2 years...my highest was 155 after my youngest child)
    MFP sets me at 1250 a day for a .5 lb loss. I usually exercise to eat around 1400-1500 most days. It is working!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5" and MFP sets me for 1200 a day because I'm 56 so as an older person, I have a lower metabolic rate. You're younger and also larger, so 1490 might be about right for you. I was 140 lbs. at my highest (pre-MFP) and am around 120 now. You'll probably lose on that without really starving because MFP builds in the deficit. I actually set my "base" at 1000 because my metabolic rate at sedentary is only around 1100, but I use a fitbit and that adds in calories for activity. I average between 1300-1500 a day, but I also exercise. I have an open diary, if you find that helpful on how to space meals and eat foods that are high nutrition, lower calorie. Just don't look at yesterday when I ate at my mom's!
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for replying..Glad it is working out for you :)
    jaga13 wrote: »

I am 4'11 and also 37 years old!
    I am 130lbs now. I think I was 136 lbs when I seriously started using MFP (but have been losing weight for the past 2 years...my highest was 155 after my youngest child)
    MFP sets me at 1250 a day for a .5 lb loss. I usually exercise to eat around 1400-1500 most days. It is working!

• Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Thanks for the info. This is my 3rd mfp acct and I have never went with what mfp suggests so I figured I could give it a try this time & see if it helps
    rosebette wrote: »
    I'm 5'1.5" and MFP sets me for 1200 a day because I'm 56 so as an older person, I have a lower metabolic rate. You're younger and also larger, so 1490 might be about right for you. I was 140 lbs. at my highest (pre-MFP) and am around 120 now. You'll probably lose on that without really starving because MFP builds in the deficit. I actually set my "base" at 1000 because my metabolic rate at sedentary is only around 1100, but I use a fitbit and that adds in calories for activity. I average between 1300-1500 a day, but I also exercise. I have an open diary, if you find that helpful on how to space meals and eat foods that are high nutrition, lower calorie. Just don't look at yesterday when I ate at my mom's!

• leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you feel like 1490 is too high you can also go lower as long as you feel full enough.

I no longer track calories but at 5" 21 years old, 130lbs I was at 1300 calories. If you aren't moving a lot it works fine, but if you work out you'll probably need about 200 calories more.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    The calorie recommendation from MFP takes into account your height, weight, age, and activity level. The taller you are, the more you weigh, being male, or being more active means you get more calories. The 1490 sounds about right. Remember, with the MFP method that you should eat back some of your exercise calories. Most recommend 25-75%, depending on trial and error and your own progress.

Good luck!
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am currently not exercising due to health problems but I will definetly stay under my 1490 allowed. Thanks for replying :)
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    The calorie recommendation from MFP takes into account your height, weight, age, and activity level. The taller you are, the more you weigh, being male, or being more active means you get more calories. The 1490 sounds about right. Remember, with the MFP method that you should eat back some of your exercise calories. Most recommend 25-75%, depending on trial and error and your own progress.

Good luck!

• Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Exactly what I was thinking. Once I start working out, I will probably bump it to like 1690-1700
    leahraskie wrote: »
    If you feel like 1490 is too high you can also go lower as long as you feel full enough.

I no longer track calories but at 5" 21 years old, 130lbs I was at 1300 calories. If you aren't moving a lot it works fine, but if you work out you'll probably need about 200 calories more.