great job at ruining a good moment!

Options
Friday I had a very good doctors appointment for my yearly physical. I was told I have lost 25lbs since I last saw them 3 months ago when I had to visit them for a sinus infection. Of course this is great news!

Anyway, yesterday I had a family picnic. One of my cousins came up to me to congratulate me on my weight loss so far so then a few more family members joined in asking about my success. Everything was going fine until one of my aunts decided to join in and say to me "where did you loose the weight, because to me it looks like you gained" SERIOUSLY?!?! :mad:

I didnt let her see that it bothered me, but as soon as I got home I cried. And I dont even know why I cried because she has no right to say anything seeing as though shes about 100lbs heavier then me.

Just thought id share, needed to vent

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    She's jealous. Pure and simple and she was nasty enough to want to take away your happiness with everyone complimenting you. Chalk it up to her being a mean spirited person and move on. You've lost weight and you feel good and look good. Don't let ANYONE tear you down!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    WOW, I'm so proud of you for holding your tongue and head high. I'm such a smart *kitten* I would of told her "Nope, I'm sure I lost 25lbs... are you sure you didn't find it?"

But that's beside the point. This is your life, your choices. You are becoming a healthier, sexier more confident person. That doesn't mean everyone else is on board. There are tons of people out there who will try to take you back down. See how far you have come, and know how far you want to go!

By the way: It is an awesome job loosing the 25! That is such an amazing accomplishment, that not everyone can do.
  • glenliz
    glenliz Posts: 1
    Options
    I can tell you I am a victim of such attitudes every day! There really are people out there that do not know how to share in other's success and bring them down... You have obviously been doing a fantastic job and are doing what you want! Keep up the positive attitude and keep moving forward. Do NOT let anyone or anything bring you down!

God Bless and congrats on your weigh loss!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Wow kudos to your self control

I would have lashed out lol

But it's definitely jealousy. I'm sure 2 months from now she'll be bragging about her new diet and how she lost 5lbs...
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I agree - if EVERYONE else noticed you lost weight she's upset and jealous - you should've kept your cool and said "oh no I definitely lost I feel great in my clothes now - you should join!" :wink: or "no the way my clothes fit is proof enough for me...hey everyone aunt soandso said I gained weight...does it look like I did" and let them all say it to her...she's straight jealous and envious!!:grumble:
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    WOW, I'm so proud of you for holding your tongue and head high. I'm such a smart *kitten* I would of told her "Nope, I'm sure I lost 25lbs... are you sure you didn't find it?"

:laugh: we def are long lost siblings lol

I am so sorry she was that nasty to you, but she is just jelly, so no worries. you look great!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Friday I had a very good doctors appointment for my yearly physical. I was told I have lost 25lbs since I last saw them 3 months ago when I had to visit them for a sinus infection. Of course this is great news!

Anyway, yesterday I had a family picnic. One of my cousins came up to me to congratulate me on my weight loss so far so then a few more family members joined in asking about my success. Everything was going fine until one of my aunts decided to join in and say to me "where did you loose the weight, because to me it looks like you gained" SERIOUSLY?!?! :mad:

I didnt let her see that it bothered me, but as soon as I got home I cried. And I dont even know why I cried because she has no right to say anything seeing as though shes about 100lbs heavier then me.

Just thought id share, needed to vent

Congratulations on your success! You deserve to be proud of yourself, so hold your head high.

People who are not ready to address their own weight issues will be nasty when others succeed in managing their weight.

Your aunt has a million excuses, whether or not she shares them with others, concerning why she is so heavy and 'just can't lose weight'. We all have or had them. When someone like you comes a long and loses the weight, all of that person's excuses look as flimsy and irrational as they really are and then they feel bad about themselves. So they lash out.

I wish I could tell you that your aunt is the only person with such an attitude that you'll encounter, but there will likely be a few others along the way. Take their comments for what they are--the desperate attempts of someone who hates themselves to feel slightly better. It's really got nothing to do with you.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Girl please shake that mess off! I sent a picture of myself to my "friend" in a dress that you can visually see the difference in, and she said what is that? So being outspoken like I am, I said "oh I guess your blind to the fact that I am losing weight" but it's okay I don't need your approval!
    So then she reply's and says....OH I guess I better get to exercising, I said do what you want!
    LET YOUR HATER's Be YOUR MOTIVATOR's!
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    That's terrible! I agree with the others, I'm sure she was jealous that you were getting positive attention for your weight loss. Don't let her put-down's bring you down!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    That's pure jealousy! I'm so sorry that she did that to you. Some people are just sour souls.

I had a friend that when I was at my 15 lb mark and telling her how much I had lost, she responded by telling me that while using Nutrisystem she learned that you should never go by the scale because a pound is like a poop. You can lose a pound just by going to the bathroom and that it wasn't how much you weigh, it's how your clothes fit. I looked at her and reminded her that I had lost 15 LBS, so I was pretty sure that it had nothing to do with my digestive tract and that my clothes were fitting more loosely and thanked her sarcastically for being such a great supportive friend.

Do you know how bad I wanted to remind her that I've lost more weight than her in a 2 month period and I did it on my own without having to pay Nutrisystem a dime so I can "learn" how to eat healthy by eating nothing but prepackaged meals. I didn't, because I knew she was happy with the results she saw.
  • imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate.....that was a terrible thing she said when she KNEW it not to be true..she was trying to get under your skin.
  • gusto80
    gusto80 Posts: 28
    Options
    Jealousy is a horrible thing. Don't let that get to you!! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Good grief! I would have cried too. She is jealous and when you reach goal maybe you could invite her over for dinner and serve crow.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!! Don't let haters get you down. I know how hard it can be to have to deal with mean people, but she is obviously just a jealous and bitter person, especially since she's got a ton of weight to lose. Overweight people who don't want to acknowledge their unhealthy situation remedy themselves by bringing fitter, healthier people down.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    And I dont even know why I cried because she has no right to say anything seeing as though shes about 100lbs heavier then me.
    You cried because someone was deliberately cruel to you, and that's never easy to come to terms with.

She sounds spiteful and frankly if you're the one doing the invites next time, I would "forget" to tell her about your event. Family or not, with an attitude like that, she doesn't deserve the pleasure of your company.