oatmeal

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftForRevenge
    LiftForRevenge Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    tha.ks everyone. you have been so helpful!!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A dash or two of milk, and a pinch or two of salt are essentials for me, but aside from those I've enjoyed grated apple, mashed ripe banana, dried cranberries, cinnamon, peanut butter and flaked almonds in mine (not all at once of course). A bit of coconut oil I also like a lot these days too, as well as a bit of brown sugar/ maple syrup. Treacle is supposed to be a nice alternative sweetener too, but never tried it in my porridge yet.

Overnight oats/ bircher muesli, with a tbsp of chia seeds, oats, yoghurt, fruit (berrries/ grated apple) and flaked almonds works well too. Want to try to (successfully) make steel-cut/ pinhead oatmeal one of these days too, but my previous efforts have been disastrous, and I haven't been inclined to persevere, as I can make my current oatmeal/ porridge on autopilot in 5- 10 mins on the hob as things stand.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Plain oatmeal... how do I make this taste better without adding salt, milk or butter to it. suggestions anyone?

I eat oatmeal the way they do in India ( google " oatmeal upma) with left over, or quickly sauteed vegetables, cilantro and/or parsley and a couple of spritzers of lemon/lime juice. You don't need to put all those indian spices, or you can just chose what you like.
    I could not eat sweet oatmeal and this way I get all the nutritional benefits without gagging from all that sweetness ( sorry, I know I must be the only person on this planet who does not like anything sweet or chocolate ....:o)...).
    If you don't like the texture of oatmeal, don't force yourself. Just chose another grain, pulse/legume if that is what you would like to eat. I have made the same dish ( upma ) with plain cooked barley, millet , brown rice. I think everyone should enjoy what they eat, especially when chosing more healthful options.
    Good Luck !

• msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, walnuts, bananas, and thawed frozen berries. My breakfast every morning.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the crockpot, on 'warm' overnight with 3/1 water to milk ratio. It just doesn't taste right without the milk. Then I'll either do savory with a little cheese and a fried egg or sweet with...well pretty much anything mentioned above.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I add 1/4 blueberries and 1 tbls walnuts to mine its great
  • Mandaarce
    Mandaarce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any protein powder with unsweetened almond milk. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and peanut butter!!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get yo'self some Chocolate whey protein concentrate (nice and cheap, though this will contain lactose...)
    Add some Natural Peanut butter and the protein powder and voilla... A nice bowl of Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal (you could also use cacaoa instead of chocolate whey and, if you desire, some sweetener).

Then, optionally, you could also add cinnamon or...
    Go all out and add some banana as well :smile:
    Costs some calories, but worth every single one of them (it's healthy that way as well)
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Not much that hasn't been said before, but the wife & I do chia seed, PB2, and berries.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Nutella ;)
    It makes everything better.
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    mixed berries
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of overnight oatmeal with steel cut oats. The recipe I follow does have milk, salt, and sugar. It's 2 cups oats to 8 1/2 cups water. I use butter to coat the crock pot before serving, it takes about 1-2 tablespoons. It makes 12 servings so the calorie count is 157 per serving. When I eat it I add plain 2% Greek yogurt (Fage brand) and some fruit--right now I have a batch of rhubarb sauce I am using. The recipe I use calls for 1/4 c brown sugar, 3/4 cup milk, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Spread over 12 servings this is negligible. I have also made a muesli with 1 cup old fashion oats to 2 cups milk and add some cinnamon, nuts, and a tablespoon of honey. This makes 5 servings and I will add plain yogurt and fruit to each serving. Is there a medical reason you are avoiding salt, butter, and milk?
  • ChiaraLovesLifting
    ChiaraLovesLifting Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i use almond milk (unsweetened), cacao (unsweetened), chocolate whey protein, goji berries, aronia berries, mulberries and chia seeds. if you like it very sweet then add stevia or chocolate syrup from walden farms.
    sometimes i also add some fresh fruits.