getting closer to fitting in goal dress

Options
I bought my goal dress 6 years ago on sale. They didn't have my size so I bought the smaller size thinking I'd lose the weight. In hindsight I should have bought the bigger size as I would have had much more wear out of it!
But it's getting closer and closer to fitting. Can't quite zip it up, but I'm hoping it'll fit by the end of July!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    keep on going, you can do this :smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    6 years -- that's a long time! Think how good it will feel when you're finally able to rock that dress.

Personally I tend to avoid buying 'goal' clothes and instead, I focus on buying things that fit and make me feel fabulous at whatever size I'm at. I've found that, if I buy goal clothes, often by the time I get down to fitting into them, they're out of style or they just don't fit the way I want them to. Sometimes I even overshoot and my 'goal' stuff would end up being too big on me. So, not worth the money IMHO: Buy the clothes to fit your body. When you get smaller, buy smaller stuff.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    congrats....have fun in that fab dress.

I always hated it when I had dresses I bought and loved and had to give away as I lost weight...I had a great white clavin klein dress that was stunning...had to give it away last summer...*cries*
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I always hated it when I had dresses I bought and loved and had to give away as I lost weight...I had a great white clavin klein dress that was stunning...had to give it away last summer...*cries*

I hear ya. I'm refusing to part with some of my favourite items of clothing even though they're now miles too big. Most of them are hanging in the closet in the spare room. I'm gonna try to take in whatever I can, and the rest, I'll get rid of when I'm more emotionally ready. For now, there's some part of me that things, okay, but what if I gain the weight back? Won't I be happy I saved these things?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

I hear ya. I'm refusing to part with some of my favourite items of clothing even though they're now miles too big. Most of them are hanging in the closet in the spare room. I'm gonna try to take in whatever I can, and the rest, I'll get rid of when I'm more emotionally ready. For now, there's some part of me that things, okay, but what if I gain the weight back? Won't I be happy I saved these things?

That's why I didn't save them...the clothing I have fits..and with it I can tell if I am gaining a few pounds...I tighten up my logging.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Guy here. Similar story with a suit that I've had for about 8yrs. I wore it for a while but it was snug, then got to the point where I couldn't even pull the trousers all the way up, never mind zipping and buttoning them closed and breathing. Started here back in October with the goal of wearing it to a party this coming Memorial Day. Took it out this past weekend cause I realize that I'll need to have it cleaned and pressed if I wear it, and it fits! I can breath and bend over and evertything. I'm very excited.
  • catinamess
    catinamess Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a goal dress at the time, I managed to wear it once but was very tight! I did get rid of most of the clothes that no longer fitted me, but kept that one. I didn't think I was going to head the other way weight wise, or I would have bought the bigger size :-)
  • catinamess
    catinamess Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @freeoscar congrats!! I can't wait for that!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You know, gaining the weight back happens, despite all our determination, etc. For some people (ME!) it does happen. Personally, I am glad I kept a few items from my weight-loss "mid-point" a year ago. I lost 27 pounds and hit my goal weight, then slowly I gained 1/2 the weight back. I tried to lose it when I noticed the scale going up but heck it was just a few pounds and I was so "done" with losing weight by then, so it came back. A good lesson for this time. But in the meantime I am glad I had something to wear that fit properly.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I'm the opposite. I got rid of my larger clothes right away every time I got into a smaller size. It was the right choice for me, because when I recently had a bad few of months, and gained back 10 lbs, I had nothing to wear so I had no choice but to get back on track.
  • whmscll
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm the opposite. I got rid of my larger clothes right away every time I got into a smaller size. It was the right choice for me, because when I recently had a bad few of months, and gained back 10 lbs, I had nothing to wear so I had no choice but to get back on track.

Yes, that's what forced me back on track as well. But what did you wear before the weight started coming off again if you had nothing to wear? I was glad to have at least a few things to wear to work.
  • nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great job it will fit in no time! I never buy goal dresses and I usually don't attain them :( but back in September I bought a red dress that was way too small , now last month when I tried it on it fit like a glove. It made me so happy. I didn't even think about the dress as I was losing weight but decided to try it on for kicks lol I was ecstatic when it actually fit!
    Good luck to you and take pics once your dress fits
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You'll get there soon :smiley:

I recently fit BACK into a pair of pants that I haven't been able to wear in over 13 yrs. Cute, button-fly, boy-fit khakis that I'm wearing to Seattle in a couple of months. I can't believe I kept them this long, but I looked so good in them, when they fit, that I couldn't bear to let them go. I AM giving away my too big clothes, though. I'm want to (going to!) follow Stef's lead and nip weight gain in the bud instead of going so far that I need new clothes.

My goal size is below what I have in my closet, though. Not sure what I'll do with my favorite pants, then!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Keep up the good work. I actually kept a dress that I wore in HS (Jackie O style) coast and dress set. I always thought about getting rid of it over the years but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I got into that dress a few weeks ago so you can do it if you set your mind to it.

Good luck!
  • whmscll
    Options
    Congrats! Keep up the good work. I actually kept a dress that I wore in HS (Jackie O style) coast and dress set. I always thought about getting rid of it over the years but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I got into that dress a few weeks ago so you can do it if you set your mind to it.

Good luck!

That is awesome!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    catinamess wrote: »
    I bought my goal dress 6 years ago on sale. They didn't have my size so I bought the smaller size thinking I'd lose the weight. In hindsight I should have bought the bigger size as I would have had much more wear out of it!
    But it's getting closer and closer to fitting. Can't quite zip it up, but I'm hoping it'll fit by the end of July!

Keep up the good work!! :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I'm going out to a semi-formal thing tomorrow night, and just last night it occurred to me that I could probably wear a dress I stuffed in the back of the closet a year ago because I looked like a sausage in it.

I haven't tried it yet ... but I have lost about 7 or 8 kg since the last time I wore it ... :)