Calculating Carbs etc

Options
I started MFP a couple years ago but wasn't dedicated enough. Well I'm back with a better attitude. I have discovered Clean Eating and Paleo. I'm loving it and I believe I can do this! In fact since January, I've dropped 20#'s. My problem, I don't remember where I got my calorie, carb, protein goals from. My current goals on MFP are Calories=1200, Carbs=165, Protein=45, Fat=40, Fiber=12, Sodium=2300. I'm a female, 60 yrs, 190#'s, 5'2", Sedentary Activity, and I'd like to get down to the 130's. Recently I was in a group of women and when I mentioned my Carb goal was 165, I was boo'ed. I need to make sure I'm doing it right. How do I calculate the carbs I need to loose weight, still be healthy, and feel like I'm starving?

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Why did they boo? Did they think it was too low or too high? Clean eating and Paleo don't necessarily have to be low carb. Paleo just eliminates grains and junk food, doesn't it? It still allows vegetables and other carbs.

At 190 lbs, 1200 calories would probably be a bit low for me. As for the carb/protein/fat macros, that's kind of a personal decision. I believe the MFP macros are set at USDA recommendations. I know from experimenting with my diet that I feel better when I eat more fat and fewer carbs than that.

You'll probably need to play around with your diet a little to find where you feel best. You really don't need to calculate carbs to lose weight - you'll need to calculate the amount of food you're eating. And then within that calorie level, you'll want to find the amount of carbs that makes you feel satiated and energetic. Usually protein and fat help you feel fuller.
  • RebeccaLynea
    RebeccaLynea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They thought it was to high. Thanks for the reply
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    They thought it was to high. Thanks for the reply

I'd find a new group of women to hang out with.

Ultimately, you'll have to find the macro breakdown that is going to 1. help you meet your goals and 2. is sustainable for you.

At only 1200 calories, you don't give yourself much wiggle room or margin for error.

That all said, I might suggest trying to up your protein just a bit, probably at the expense of some of the carbs.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I started MFP a couple years ago but wasn't dedicated enough. Well I'm back with a better attitude. I have discovered Clean Eating and Paleo... How do I calculate the carbs I need to loose weight, still be healthy, and feel like I'm starving?

OP; you DO NOT NEED TO CUT CARBS TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Cut your calories.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your protein is pretty low for your weight. I would at least double it to be 90g. That will also help you not feel like you are starving.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit. Doesn't matter how many carbs, how 'clean' you eat etc etc. Calories and math, simple as that :)
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Scientifically, the ratio that controls insulin the best is 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats. I can't hack that though, so I use 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fats. Either of those is a good start, but you can adjust a little either way. You need a lot more fiber than 12 g; 25-35 g is usually recommended. Take care of your gut and it will take care of you. Actually, when my fiber intake is included, my carbs are closer to 45%.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You should eat less carbs and more protein. Protein will keep you full, carbs generally don't unless they contain a lot of fiber, and you aren't eating much fiber. You can feel full on 1200 calories...I ate that for a while. But you need to choose very filling foods. Protein and fat keep you full for hours. Carbs make you hungry again soon after you eat.
  • RebeccaLynea
    RebeccaLynea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the information. You've given me a lot to "chew" on ;) I'm going to read your answers again