i hate my legs .......

Options
I know im sorry peeps im being very negative but I have just found out Ive gained five pounds and whilst and holiday all I could think was i hate my legs!!!!

There short ( im only 4ft10)

thighs never seem to slim down just bulk up!!!!

I exercise at least 3 times a week , yet they still look chunky

I obseeively watch what I eat, ive treated myself three times this week as I was on holz

Just want them to slim down, so fed up.

HELP!

Any ideas? x

Replies

• slimrb2011
    slimrb2011 Posts: 122
    Options
    I understand! I am 5' 3" and no matter how much I lose, my legs are always bigger! I have been told lots of squats and lunges help. Good luck!!
  • gusto80
    gusto80 Posts: 28
    Options
    I would start to focus on more leg work outs. Maybe do it every other day or every three days. Try using some of the machines at the gym that focus on inner and outter thighs. Good luck to you!
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    ive talked to people who have the same problem and say that the only thing that makes them look better is just to exercise and get down to lower, healthier weight

good luck :)
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have also always hated my legs! They are so stubby and chunky I hated hearing shorts. Running has worked wonders. (I started to tear-up the day I noticed my thighs didn't rub when I ran....)
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I am 5'7" so quite a bit taller, but I DO have issues with bulky thighs and calves. Do you run? One thing I have noticed - when I started running, my thighs got even bigger (with muscle I believe!), but as I kept up with running my muscles seemed to get longer and more lean, they are not nearly as bulky as they were when I first started. I focus on cardio, cardio, cardio - I love the stair climber and also take a step interval class once a week.

Also - we are our own worst critics, perhaps you are being too hard on yourself. I suggest you have someone take pictures of you and your legs in various poses, then check out the pictures for yourself - that is exactly what my husband did for me when I told him I thought my legs weren't changing, and I was pleasantly surprised with the photos :bigsmile: Of course, I still have a lot of work to do, but it's nice to see progress!
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and carry my weight in the upper legs, and lower belly. I didn't think they were getting smaller so I changed up my exercise. Cardio 3 times a week, strength training for legs one day, and for arms a second day. One day of aerobic and one day of rest. I started taking body measurements once every three weeks. I began losing inches. It helps to see that tape measure move even if it's just 1/4 to 1/2 inch every month. I weigh myself once a week. There are some weeks where the scale may not move but the measurements get smaller. The strength training to help firm really does work.
  • Brunette_Babe
    Brunette_Babe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from!

I'm 5'3 and i'm fairly slim and no matter what i do, i have stupidly chunky thighs.

Nothing i've ever done has changed them. Sort of starving myself, there is no way i can change their shape without being drastic.

Even when i went down to 120lbs, there was no way i could ever wear short skirts (which are really in fashion right now in England) I looked too skinny everywhere else like my collar bone sticking out, but my legs were still chunky...

I think some of us just have a body shape that wont change. It's just the way we are.

Maybe try and focus of the bits you love!

Stay positive! :O)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Totally feel you! I'm 5'10 so a lot taller than you are but my thighs are still HUGE!! Much smaller than they were 20 pounds ago but I just can not seem to ever get them under control. My thighs have always given me problems. I think DH and I are about to start saving for a workout machine; hopefully that will help.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bike and p90x has done great things for my wife in the legs. You do lots of lunges, wall squats, stretching, leg lifts, and more.

I think you could improve with wall squats and lunges.

Good luck
  • CharityAngel
    CharityAngel Posts: 111
    Options
    Simply Woman's tight and toned DVD has a great section just for the lower body, focusing on legs and glut's. Also build up to running 6 days a week for 45 min a day. It will melt off.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    *obsessively
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm also short (5'0") and have stocky legs. I think it's just my build, and I'm sure being in gymnastics as a kid didn't help any. I have had to come to terms with the fact that they will never be skinny. Instead, I go for toned. It's particularly tricky, as my hips, thighs, and butt are where all the weight goes first and leave last. It may be the same for you, you may have to loose most of the weight before you see a big difference in your legs. Just keep going, and don't forget muscle toning exercises (I like squats with a gym ball and walking lunges best for toning) as well as cardio.
  • angiebruen
    angiebruen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lowering your carbs?

I'm a 5' 3" pear shape and found that while doing low carb my legs got thinner just from cutting out white food including sugar.

I read somewhere that if you store fat mainly on your lower half (as I do), you will benefit from less carbs to lose inches in that area. The only drawback is it's hard to stick to low carb, having one or 2 days off a week helps!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have also always hated my legs! They are so stubby and chunky I hated hearing shorts. Running has worked wonders. (I started to tear-up the day I noticed my thighs didn't rub when I ran....)

I agree. Littlelol, I don't know what you do for cardio, but I would consider running if you don't already or increasing it if you do.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks you can't spot reduce. Here are some things that may help though:

1. Fiber and protein are key - fiber keeps your body lean and protein boosts the effects of your exercise!
    2. Jump rope/exercise bike/spinning/swimming/jogging are best for thighs and all over weight loss.
    3. Avoid interval training and stick to long duration cardio instead if you feel like your legs are muscular.
    4. SQUATS & LUNGES
    5. Yoga and Pilates will make you leaner!
    6. Wear high heels!

Generally women see thighs and legs start to get skinny at around 18% body fat... HOLD ON IN THERE!
  • RaeLynn_3
    RaeLynn_3 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am not a big fan of running but maybe should start after reading everyones comments!! I have big thighs and a big butt for that matter!! Some of mine is that it runs in the family!! My mom and three of my sisters r skinny (really skinny) but they have bigger thighs and bubble butts!! Just saying...I am going to try to put my running & wall squats & lunges into my workout! Thanks for all the info!!
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    bump
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Options
    I hate my legs as well! I am 5'7" and my thighs drvie me crazy!!! But, within the last week I found pilates online and have done a few leg workouts and I can already tell a difference! I hope it continues to improve for me and I hope you find what works for you!:wink:
  • Oliversmummyx
    Options
    So Glad I'm not the only one to have her legs! I swear sometimes I feel obsessed.
    I'm also petite at 5ft.....would it be cheeky to ask exactly what is classed as 'chunky / big on small ladies (thighs in ")

Thanks x
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10" too and I too have fat legs.

I don't hate my legs though, I hate the fat that's covering them and I'm doing something about it.

All the exercises in the world won't make fat legs slim, only losing the fat off them will do that.