Need some encouragement

Options
Hi, I am a middle aged, peri menopausal woman who is hypo thyroid and have had a problem with my weight ever since they diagnosed me as hypothyroid 20+ years ago. Currently my naturopath & Dr. are adjusting my medication down. One of my numbers is fluctuating between the negative and then over 10, for those that follow it...I don't understand it, sadly. It has resulted in me gaining 10lbs & my leg measurements are bigger than when I started exercising 10 years ago. I am looking for somebody with the same dietary issues perhaps & struggles. I am SO discouraged at this point. I just feel like why bother trying, as it doesn't seem to make any difference. I am currently logging my food daily - writing it down, as I don't always get to the computer. I wish I had somebody close to me to exercise with me, etc. I asked someone & all I have so far is 'log your food'. I think I need more than that. How do I get through this? :(

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food with a scale? How do you know whether you are at defiit or not? When did you start your diet? Am sure there will be groups and many users with thyroid issues, but start with getting the basics of weight loss correct. Most people who dont make progress just arent doing the basics correctly.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It is discouraging - and you do need to be able to answer that question, "Why bother trying". Having an answer will not stop that discouraging voice, but it will enable you to connect with what really matters to you. An exercise buddy is a good idea. How to do that depends on where you live and what resources there are. Feel free to add me as a friend, ask questions and bounce ideas. Just don't ever give up.
  • robbypink
    robbypink Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Dear djmdjw I am so sorry you are struggling. I feel your pain. I had thyroid disease and eventually had it destoyed with radiation and am now on medication. It is very, very important to get your meds in check. Be proactive with this. Take as much time and ask as many questions of your docs until you have a better understanding of your condition. Do as much research as you can via the internet and if you can't always have access to computer go to the library and use theirs. Once you start feeling in more control of your health it will give you confidence to take control of your healthy eating plan (I prefer not to use the word diet) and your life. Establish you daily calorie intake and be diligent about measuring and logging your food. Go for a walk every day if you can even if you have to go alone. Take this time to meditate and think abou what your land mines are that are getting in your way. I am 60, didn't sleep for 10 years due to menopause, binged ate in the middle of the night and gained about 50 pounds due to the thyroid thing and the menopause. When I turned 60 in Jan. I decided I needed to get healthy and embarked on a healthy eating plan and life style. You need to really search you soul and decide to really make the change. I will friend you if you want. Let me know and hang in there!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You don't need to just "log your food", you need to be in a caloric deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I believe what she meant was that she was looking for an exercise buddy and the response was 'log your food'.

djmdjw - where are you located?

I'm peri menopausal too. C'mon menopause and goodbye fibroids!
  • djmdjw
    djmdjw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies - Ok - so I have no idea how to `friend`anybody so I can answer your questions...I friended 1 person & now I can`t find out where they are! LOL - will work on that...I guess one of the biggest problems is, how do I know what my calorie intake is supposed to be - one place tells you one thing, another site tells you something else...I would like to try follow the diabetic calorie intake because my husband is diabetic & has to be wheat free, so if I am cooking that way for him, then I might as well eat that way too. I am aiming for between 1500 - 1800 calories a day. I do measure some things...I I don`t measure a premade hamburger or stuff like that...I have been measuring my salads & makings, etc...we do eat very simplistic because of our dietary needs...people have no idea what hypothyroidism is & what it does to you...especially when your numbers are jumping around like a yoyo as it can`t be regulated...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    djmdjw wrote: »
    people have no idea what hypothyroidism is & what it does to you...especially when your numbers are jumping around like a yoyo as it can`t be regulated...

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and take Synthroid + Cytomel. I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

PS. MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    djmdjw wrote: »
    Hi, I am a middle aged, peri menopausal woman who is hypo thyroid and have had a problem with my weight ever since they diagnosed me as hypothyroid 20+ years ago. Currently my naturopath & Dr. are adjusting my medication down. One of my numbers is fluctuating between the negative and then over 10, for those that follow it...I don't understand it, sadly. It has resulted in me gaining 10lbs & my leg measurements are bigger than when I started exercising 10 years ago. I am looking for somebody with the same dietary issues perhaps & struggles. I am SO discouraged at this point. I just feel like why bother trying, as it doesn't seem to make any difference. I am currently logging my food daily - writing it down, as I don't always get to the computer. I wish I had somebody close to me to exercise with me, etc. I asked someone & all I have so far is 'log your food'. I think I need more than that. How do I get through this? :(

My sympathies.

My advice?

Ditch the naturopath.

Anyone can call themselves a naturopath.

http://skepdic.com/natpathy.html

It's a totally bogus practice based on unscientific beliefs and outright nonsense.

If your doctor is OK with you seeing the naturopath, get a new doctor. They don't sound like they've been doing you any good.

Kind regards.