3-Day Military Diet

Options
Does anyone here have experience/good results with the 30-day military diet plan?

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    People in the military don't eat like that.

Keep it simple: Reasonable calorie deficit for weight loss, hit all your macros, a lifting program to retain LBM, some cardio so you can eat pizza.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, hot dogs and saltines are not the building blocks of a healthy meal plan.
  • denniskelly06
    denniskelly06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice 3bambi3. Thus far, I've been on a pretty strict, low calorie diet I just came up with myself. I eat lots of spinach salads, protein shakes, and fruit and veggies. I also exercise at the gym at least 5 days per week. I'm just used to losing weight extremely fast but its just not happening that way this time. Maybe its my age- I'm 37.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Thanks for the advice 3bambi3. Thus far, I've been on a pretty strict, low calorie diet I just came up with myself. I eat lots of spinach salads, protein shakes, and fruit and veggies. I also exercise at the gym at least 5 days per week. I'm just used to losing weight extremely fast but its just not happening that way this time. Maybe its my age- I'm 37.

Eh. Weight loss is really all about the deficit. Are you logging properly? Do you weigh and measure your food? Lots of the time, people are under-estimating how much they are eating so they don't have as much of a deficit as they think.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Does it work? Sure, you will lose weight because you're eating low calorie. But you can eat low calorie and not follow this 'diet'.

If there anything magic in the combo of foods? God, no. seriously? Tuna, hot dogs, saltines and ice cream??

Does it have a single solitary thing to do with the military? NOPE. Unless we're talking about a small force of soldiers stuck behind enemy lines with nothing to eat but what they can pillage from a 7-11.

It is genuinely one of the silliest 'diets' I've ever heard of. It blows my mind that it gets so much press.

Work out a calorie goal, eat that calorie goal.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Have you considered the fact that there may be a problem with how you go about losing weight?

Forget fad diets, forget crazy food restriction. Find something sustainable, long term.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    This is like the 5th post in 2 days about this diet. :|
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    As a vet, I can attest: we never ate like that.

Shame it's called the military diet. Sounds like it was invented by a hobo.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    This is like the 5th post in 2 days about this diet. :|
    Seriously. SEARCH function, people. Actually, not even search - just read the thread titles.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You're 37 years old?? Oh my God! How are you still walking around???? Please, tell us what it was like when dinosaurs roamed the earth. ;)

Sorry....I just crack up every time I someone uses their age as a possible reason for slow weight loss....and they're in their 30s.

I didn't start being serious about weight loss til I was in my 40s. I just turned 50 and I'm still losing. I know people who made it to goal in their 60s and 70s.

You don't need some silly fad diet to lose weight. Just eat at a deficit and have patience. Lots of patience.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I lost weight in Boot Camp. That was partially because the food sucked and partially because I was walking and running a lot more. The food didn't look anything like on http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/though.

This is just a low calorie diet. http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-how-it-works/

• denniskelly06
    Options
    You're 37 years old?? Oh my God! How are you still walking around???? Please, tell us what it was like when dinosaurs roamed the earth. ;)

Sorry....I just crack up every time I someone uses their age as a possible reason for slow weight loss....and they're in their 30s.

I didn't start being serious about weight loss til I was in my 40s. I just turned 50 and I'm still losing. I know people who made it to goal in their 60s and 70s.

You don't need some silly fad diet to lose weight. Just eat at a deficit and have patience. Lots of patience.

Wow! I just joined this community so take it easy on me. I actually don't have much patience as I'm ADD and also just take after my dad. I'm also sorta in a hurry to lose weight as our neighborhood pool is about to open and I'd like to take my kids without looking disgusting in a swimsuit. I appreciate your response and if you have any better tips on how I can lose weight fast, I'd love to hear from you.
  • denniskelly06
    Options

Have you considered the fact that there may be a problem with how you go about losing weight?

Forget fad diets, forget crazy food restriction. Find something sustainable, long term.

Well, this is the first time in my 37 years I've had to diet/exercise to lose weight. I've always weighed about 100 pounds at 5'1. Now, I weight 121 and want to get back down to at least 105. If you have any advice on how to do this, I'm all ears.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here have experience/good results with the 30-day military diet plan?

I didn't gain or lose in boot camp or AIT, and the "weight loss diet" prescribed for me 8 years and 2 kids later by an Army physician only worked as long as I could run 8 miles a day. There was no nutrition training other than eat as low fat as possible, and eat anything else you want, including soda.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Well, this is the first time in my 37 years I've had to diet/exercise to lose weight. I've always weighed about 100 pounds at 5'1. Now, I weight 121 and want to get back down to at least 105. If you have any advice on how to do this, I'm all ears.

Your post said you are used to losing weight quickly but it's not happening this time which made it sound like you have dieted before. More than once.

It's already been suggested, find a reasonable calorie deficit and stick with that.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Well, this is the first time in my 37 years I've had to diet/exercise to lose weight. I've always weighed about 100 pounds at 5'1.

Does not compute.

• 3bambi3
    edited May 2015
    Options

Wow! I just joined this community so take it easy on me. I actually don't have much patience as I'm ADD and also just take after my dad. I'm also sorta in a hurry to lose weight as our neighborhood pool is about to open and I'd like to take my kids without looking disgusting in a swimsuit. I appreciate your response and if you have any better tips on how I can lose weight fast, I'd love to hear from you.

No matter how much you weigh, you will never look disgusting in a bathing suit :)

I understand wanting to lose quickly, but slow and steady wins the race in this case.

ETA: I'm an example of the above. Crash dieted my way down to 135 and still didn't like the way I looked. Back up to 160 a few years ago and hated life. Then I decided to get serious, start paying attention more to body composition rather than just weight and now, at 145, I look WAY better than I ever did at 135.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you burn. That's my advice. Eating a balanced diet is great for overall health but a caloric deficit is the key to weight losd.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No.
    No one can help you lose weight fast.
  • denniskelly06
    Options

Your post said you are used to losing weight quickly but it's not happening this time which made it sound like you have dieted before. More than once.

It's already been suggested, find a reasonable calorie deficit and stick with that.

I was thinking about losing my baby weight after having my two kids