Giving up soda , for good

Options

Replies

• kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Good luck.

Aspartame isn't toxic. Stop with the fear mongering.

OP, I drink a Coke Zero a day...sometimes two. And sometimes I'll throw in some rum with Diet Coke if I'm feeling frisky.

I regularly brush my teeth and floss (granted I probably floss less than my dentist would like to see), but I've never had a cavity, the enamel on my teeth is good, and my dentist has never told me to give the stuff up.

How much are you drinking that you need to quit drinking diet sodas?

I drink around 2-3 a day. It's just a fear of losing my teeth as my mother who is now 60 and has drank 1-2 a day her entire life almost has no teeth left from it. Hoping to stop the issue before it becomes one
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking soda almost four weeks ago. I went cold turkey. I was drinking enough caffeine daily that I knew I would have headaches. So each day I drank a LOT of water and waited until I could feel the first signs of a dull headache starting in my temples. Then, I would take two Aleve and all was well. The second day I did take a nap because I was initially very sluggish as well. After about three and a half days the headaches stopped and I've been fine since. I've replaced it with water. I drink filtered water from the fridge when I am at home. When I'm at work, though, I splurge on the liter sized bottles of Evian because I love the way it tastes.

I haven't had a drink of anything other than water since I gave up the cokes. There are plenty of things I enjoy drinking such as wine, or Izze fruit drinks and I have no plans to give them up...I just haven't had anything else I guess because I have been so focused on drinking more water and staying hydrated.

Good luck! If you are "addicted" enough to caffeine the headaches really do suck but you can head them off at the pass!
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just gave up Diet Coke in January! Before that I had about two 20-ounce bottles per day for 20 years. I drank caffeinated tea instead. Republic of Tea makes a Tea called something like Hi Caff that has the equivalent of a cup of coffee's worth of caffeine per tea bag. The French Toast flavor is out of this world. Now that I'm through the transition, I drink water mostly. I actually crave water now, and don't miss Diet Coke at all. BTW, I actually took it to another level - I gave up all artificial sweeteners (incluiding in foods like yogurt). I didn't lose weight just from that, but after two or three months, my appetite was gone. No more food cravings, or desire for second. For those headaches, you could try Excedrin Migraine. It's a combination of aspirin and caffeine and might help. If nothing else , mastering any addiction - even to something as mild as Diet Coke - is worth doing. Good luck!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings

...Intuitively, people choose non-caloric artificial sweeteners over sugar to lose or maintain weight. Sugar provides a large amount of rapidly absorbable carbohydrates, leading to excessive energy intake, weight gain, and metabolic syndrome [15,16,17]. Sugar and other caloric sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup have been cast as the main culprits of the obesity epidemic. Whether due to a successful marketing effort on the part of the diet beverage industry or not, the weight conscious public often consider artificial sweeteners “health food” [6]. But do artificial sweeteners actually help reduce weight?

Surprisingly, epidemiologic data suggest the contrary. Several large scale prospective cohort studies found positive correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain.

Read more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • AnitaHardin
    AnitaHardin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. Had headache for a couple of days. Now I drink mainly water. Sometimes I'll have tea, but very seldom. This may be tmi, but all the gassiness and diareah have stopped. I can tell a difference in the way I sleep also. I'd stay up until 1 or 2 every night because the caffeine kept me hyped up. Now I do good to make it to 11. And it's definitely changed my appetite. Just not as hungry now. Good luck, it will be one of the best decisions you can make for your health.
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. Had headache for a couple of days. Now I drink mainly water. Sometimes I'll have tea, but very seldom. This may be tmi, but all the gassiness and diareah have stopped. I can tell a difference in the way I sleep also. I'd stay up until 1 or 2 every night because the caffeine kept me hyped up. Now I do good to make it to 11. And it's definitely changed my appetite. Just not as hungry now. Good luck, it will be one of the best decisions you can make for your health.

Ah yay definitely not too much tmi. Makes me wanna quit even more . Looking forward to the energy and not the need for a soda to wake me up
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    chelsmaee7 wrote: »
    My fiancé was able to cut down on soda a lot by replacing it with the mio with caffeine. I cut it out easily but I found that I like lipton diet green tea with citrus when I want something other than water.

so basically he replaced soda with flat soda.

fwiw, until last week, I drank 2 gallons of soda a day. My teeth are fine. I'm not even super picky with my oral hygiene...
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Aspartame and sucralose are harmless. The fizz will eat away your teeth though.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've decided after a trip to the dentist that it is time I give up my diet -coke addiction for good. I've tried to stop before but get headaches after a day or two cold turkey . Has anyone given up sodas ? Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks
    To help with the caffeine withdrawal, you could use green tea in decreasing amounts over a few days. In my own experience getting off diet coke, it took a week of migraines and fatigue. If you were drinking sugar, too then you'll have withdrawal from that. If you tough it out for a week, drink lots of water and try to have the best schedule/sleep you can. You can do it!

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly cutting down my Coke intake for years. I first stopped buying them for the house so I only had them in the afternoon. Then I stopped getting the large soda when I went out to eat. Then I stopped getting the refill. Now I only have one on a rare occasion. Very rarely do I miss it. If i go out to a nice restaurant I may get a coke...but not always. I an now a water drinker. I don't like the taste of diet sodas.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with soda or diet soda. The people with teeth issues should pick up a toothbrush or go to a dentist every now and then.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings

...Intuitively, people choose non-caloric artificial sweeteners over sugar to lose or maintain weight. Sugar provides a large amount of rapidly absorbable carbohydrates, leading to excessive energy intake, weight gain, and metabolic syndrome [15,16,17]. Sugar and other caloric sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup have been cast as the main culprits of the obesity epidemic. Whether due to a successful marketing effort on the part of the diet beverage industry or not, the weight conscious public often consider artificial sweeteners “health food” [6]. But do artificial sweeteners actually help reduce weight?

Surprisingly, epidemiologic data suggest the contrary. Several large scale prospective cohort studies found positive correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain.

Read more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Correlation does not equal causation.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are no bueno. They actually mess with your blood sugar! Your brain gets the sweet signal from the tongue, and tells the liver that "sugar is coming, so stop releasing sugar into the blood stream, and start storing it!" So your blood sugar decreases because the drink was devoid of sugar, and you get HUNGRY. This hunger lasts for hours, too.
    So if you drink diet soda, you'll have to remember to ignore the hungry feeling.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are no bueno. They actually mess with your blood sugar! Your brain gets the sweet signal from the tongue, and tells the liver that "sugar is coming, so stop releasing sugar into the blood stream, and start storing it!" So your blood sugar decreases because the drink was devoid of sugar, and you get HUNGRY. This hunger lasts for hours, too.
    So if you drink diet soda, you'll have to remember to ignore the hungry feeling.

No, none of this happens.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

This is all very incorrect. In fact, I feel fuller after drinking a diet soda. Explain that.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

No, none of this happens.
    Yes. It does lol

• Justygirl77
    Options
    If you drink a soda, the acidity makes your enamel soft, so rinse your mouth with water before you brush them!
  • Justygirl77
    Options

This is all very incorrect. In fact, I feel fuller after drinking a diet soda. Explain that.
    Ummmm.....your tummy expanded?

• lemonsnowdrop
    Options

Ummmm.....your tummy expanded?

Exactly. I didn't have any of the intense sugar cravings you implied. I've never seen scientific proof of your claims.