Am I drinking enough water?

Options
i was told I needed to drink around 176oz a day, but that seems impossible. Is it really that important to drink that much water?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. Drink enough to satisfy your thirst. The best way to judge if you're drinking enough is to make sure your urine is a pale yellow in color.
  • BrianMiller88
    BrianMiller88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • BrianMiller88
    BrianMiller88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    And I was wrong im only supposed to drink 128oz but it is still a lot more than I'm capable of
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    That isn't really a lot of liquid.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Get a 44oz fountain drink cup, fill with water 3 times a day, drink with a straw! There's your water for the day!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    And I was wrong im only supposed to drink 128oz but it is still a lot more than I'm capable of

Yeah, it's nothing to stress over. You get fluid from everything you eat and drink, so as long as you go by that chart above, you're good.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

16 glasses? Why so much?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you are thirsty, drink something. Otherwise, the obsession with hydration is a lot of hype, mostly promoted by bottling companies.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Are you thirsty?

Yes? You should probably take a drink.

No? You're fine.

Arbitrary quota of water is arbitrary and useless, right?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If your pee is light to clear you're hydrated. I can do that with about 100 oz. of liquid.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    1 gallon of fluid really isn't that much. You probably already drink this if you are counting drinks other than water. Coffee, tea, cola....all count toward your fluid consumption. Plus we get most of our fluid through our food anyway. Don't drink a gallon just because someone told you to. If your urine is the proper color then you're fine. If not, drink something.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    qxu6fopvmk8k.jpeg

I love this chart. Here is one that was given to me when my nephew was in the Boy Scouts and I keep in my backpack I agree, if your urine is a good color, you are good.
    BSA_Urine_Color_Chart_zpsoubuxodo.png
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of fluids from all your food and beverages but water is the only thing that really flushes your system as it doesn't have anything in it to metabolize. I have always heard the recommendation of 8 cups of water a day. Now I am seeing different recommendations. It is not hard to get that much water into your day. If you really want to measure it, get a gallon container, fill it with water and put it in the refrigerator. If you drink out of this during the day you will get that much water. I drink water with most of my meals plus I have a 32 oz "cup" that I fill with ice and water to take to work. I can usually fill it at least twice, if not three times throughout the day.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    While the "color charts" above are a helpful guide, you should also be aware that too much water can be a bad thing. Too much water can mess with the electrolytes in your body and cause a variety of medical problems. In fact, there was a case about a year or so ago where a woman actually died from drinking too much water!
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/#.VVyEi03bI50
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i normally drink 20 cups of water a day (more when i work out). this was a gradual process from drinking maybe 2 or 3 cups a day. i wonder if it is too much....but i feel fine.