thyroid issues

Options
My thyroid. Tsh is up and down and my meds are up and down. I find it very difficult to lose weight. I have been on a 1,000 calorie diet for 3 weeks and have lost 6 pounds. 1,000 calories a day is not very much, so it is hard. I was just wondering if anyone else has thyroid issues and what can help.

Replies

• LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of us with thyroid issues in the hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism group so you'll probably find a lot of people in a similar situation there. Here's the link if you're interested.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism. It can make it a bit harder to lose weight, so you need to make sure you are on the right dosage. Make sure your doctor is testing you and prescribing meds based on your testing. Also 1000 calories is a little too low. You should up your calories to no less than 1200, and even that is low. Remember as you do exercise, you also want to fuel your body. Many people lose weight eating 1500 calories worth of food. I stay at 1300 only because I haven't been feeling well lately. First things first though, fix your meds, then up your calories. You will feel better and probably help your metabolism as well. Good luck to you :)
  • coleseyes
    coleseyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, at 1200 or 1300 calories my weight just seems to stay the same. I feel like all I want to do is sleep and feel tired and sluggish all the time. I am 66 yrs. Old and my husband and I are both trying to lose weight together, so that is good. I am going to keep trying, thanks for your respones.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You may be sluggish because you are not on the correct dosage. Once that is correct, you should start losing. Just make sure to log everything you eat. Keep us posted :)
  • coleseyes
    coleseyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went to a new endocrinologist a couple of months ago and he said my dosage was good even though my tsh was very high. He said for my age a 9 is in the normal range, I had never heard that before. My blood test said it was high, I did not like that Dr., I am hoping I can get another opinion. It worries me because a couple of years ago I went to the emergency room having afib and they had to shock my heart, they said it was because I was getting too much thyroid medication, so you can see why I am concerned and wonder how other people deal with it.
  • sampanzee75
    sampanzee75 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Keep advocating for yourself and make sure you get that medicine to the point where you need it to be :) I have hypothyroidism and it's taking me atleast 7 to 8 months to get the medicine in order.

I agree with the other post. That calorie goal might be a little low. Gotta make sure to help your metabolism as much as you can with your diet! Best of luck. Add me if you'd like :)