diet restrictions weight gain

Hi guys! I work in holistic medicine and would like to work out to gain weight and lean muscle, but wants to eat mostly organic, non-gmo, hormone/antibiotic free, whole foods and lean meats. I understand it can't always be so because it gets expensive... but as close as possible. So if anyone has any great recipes, tips, recommended supplements, etc., that would be awesome! And I will try to help you in any way I can!

Replies

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    No offense, but why? You realize the word organic means something contains carbon chains, correct? I could grab a piece of PVC pipe and slap an "organic" label on it and it would be technically correct. There are zero additional benefits to eating foods toted as "organic"; it is a marketing gimmick. Don't fall for the trap, OP.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited May 2015
    Brolympus wrote: »
    No offense, but why? You realize the word organic means something contains carbon chains, correct?

Don't forget those benzene rings in aromatic chemistry ;)
    lean muscle, but wants to eat mostly organic, non-gmo, hormone/antibiotic free, !

I didn't know organisms could develop lean muscle and 'fatty muscle?'.
    No offense, but why? You realize the word organic means something contains carbon chains, correct? I could grab a piece of PVC pipe and slap an "organic" label on it and it would be technically correct.

This guy right here.

OP how do you know that these hormone/antibiotic free foods are actually good for you?

It's funny that you are suddenly accepting recommendations for supplements, but you are eating organic? Surely, supplements aren't organic? Eg whey protein?
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oats, peanut butter, and raw milk if you can find it. These are all relatively simple whole calorie dense foods that I'm sure are still relatively cheap. If you combine them, one cup of oats, a cup of milk, and a serving of peanut butter will be like 600+ calories easy with a good amount of protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy monounsaturated and polyunstaturated fats
  • Ziels12
    Ziels12 Posts: 2 Member
    No offense, but why? You realize the word organic means something contains carbon chains, correct? I could grab a piece of PVC pipe and slap an "organic" label on it and it would be technically correct. There are zero additional benefits to eating foods toted as "organic"; it is a marketing gimmick. Don't fall for the trap, OP.

Actually, there is evidence that organic food is better for you. Organic in the sense of pesticide free, non-gmo, farm raised beef, etc like it used to be before the big food corporations took over. People used to live longer and not have all the diseases we have today! Do yourself a favor and get educated before you make ignorant comments. It's also a lifestyle choice...I don't want to put chemicals in my body that we don't have enough research on to know the long term side effects.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Ziels12 wrote: »

Actually, there is evidence that organic food is better for you. Organic in the sense of pesticide free, non-gmo, farm raised beef, etc like it used to be before the big food corporations took over. People used to live longer and not have all the diseases we have today! Do yourself a favor and get educated before you make ignorant comments. It's also a lifestyle choice...I don't want to put chemicals in my body that we don't have enough research on to know the long term side effects.

Link?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

Please don't make such outlandish claims without at least one source to back it up.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member

Please don't make such outlandish claims without at least one source to back it up.

While we wait for those claims to be backed up (I'm especially excited to hear about how we used to live longer, since you know, this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy)

I went ahead and found some stuff for everybody to read about why organic has no additional benefit over foods produced with modern-day farming techniques.

washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/is-organic-better-for-your-health-a-look-at-milk-meat-eggs-produce-and-fish/2014/04/07/036c654e-a313-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I don't get why this is even a topic. It's not like you have an actual medical condition that would limit your choices on a bulk and would require discussion or additional information -- you have a way that you want to eat, so go for it. Eat your organic, non-GMO food, just eat more of it. They make organic ice cream and toaster pastries (not pop-tart brand, but the same thing), FFS. Eat those.

My one tip is that truenutrition.com allows you to customize your protein shakes, so you can get plain, grass-fed whey protein if you want.