What's the point in working out?

Options
Missycvt
Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
So I put on my workout clothes, workout shoes and am here in my garage: staring at my treadmill and bike. I took a shower and came out looking in the mirror and thought to myself..."Okay, it's time. Go workout." My body needs work. I've lost about 50 pounds since 2010...and I am still over weight and have loose skin that bothers me. I need to tone up I know. Within the past few years I have worked out here and there. Nothing persistent. I have joined MFP 5 years ago and have been logging my food and exercise daily. I haven't worked out since last October really. To get to my goal weight is about 10-15 pounds. But I know the muscles need to be toned in order to feel comfortable. I am 5'3...147...goal weight is 130-135. I need a program where I will see results. And I'm not looking for fast results. I can aim for 6 months to give myself plenty of time. I usually do HIIT on the treadmill and bike. I also use resistance bands for strength training. No motivation here right now. Even with my friends on mfp, there isn't any inspiration for me. I am looking for help to boost me up.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The more exercise i do, the more i can eat. This is more than enough motivation for me :bigsmile: :+1:
  • coleeastanglia
    coleeastanglia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Similar to Christine, the more I work out the more beer I can drink, : ) doing Shaun t insanity workout every day and watching food intake on here lost nearly half stone in a week hope it helps x
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Is there something you might enjoy more than the same-ol' routine? If you mix things up a bit you might find something that suits you better.

For example, you could... find a workout partner, join a sporting team, workout with a YouTube video to guide you, try some yoga or pilates, join a bootcamp, gt outside and go for a walk....

As for the tightening up part, a good strength training routine will be absolutely the best option. But overall, just keeping the calorie balance in check and doing something to get you moving each day is great!
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is more inspiring for me especially if it's sunny. Also motivational music makes all the difference for me. Pulling the belly button in when walking is supposed to be as good as sit ups .. However I can't be bothered today either! Was looking for motivation on here!
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Consider your other option.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy your muscles will grow and that is a faster and more visible change than just following your diet. Take a before picture of you so you will be able to see the changes.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The more exercise i do, the more i can eat. This is more than enough motivation for me :bigsmile: :+1:

This.

My recommended intake without exercise is 1330. Which is... not a lot. So when I'm feeling a bit "meh" and can't be bothered, I just think to myself whether or not I *REALLY* want to be eeking out my remaining 800 calories for the rest of the day (my breakfast is always around 500).

It's also better if you have a goal to aim for, something you are working towards. It sounds like you are just kinda doing your own thing with no real plan. Are you following some kind of program or just making things up as you go along?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I need a program where I will see results. And I'm not looking for fast results. I can aim for 6 months to give myself plenty of time. I usually do HIIT on the treadmill and bike. I also use resistance bands for strength training

Serious and subtle question - what kind of results do you want to see?

I biked competitively for years. It changed my body in very subtle ways that I never saw. Endurance on a bike, speed, strong legs. But not mirror worthy stuff.

Want to be lean? What you eat does that.
    Want endurance? Biking, treadmill, running.
    Want mutlipsort ability? Train for that.

Want to look "toned"? Focus a LOT more on a progressive resistance training program. This usually means weights. Progressive lifting. Sure, you can do it without - but not in six months and not without a level of dedication you don't have now.

Identify exactly what you want train specifically for that. Rinse. REPEAT.
  • BrendanDunn
    BrendanDunn Posts: 3,225 Member
    Options
    To look like us :)
  • arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Rayman79 wrote: »
    Is there something you might enjoy more than the same-ol' routine? If you mix things up a bit you might find something that suits you better.

For example, you could... find a workout partner, join a sporting team, workout with a YouTube video to guide you, try some yoga or pilates, join a bootcamp, gt outside and go for a walk....

As for the tightening up part, a good strength training routine will be absolutely the best option. But overall, just keeping the calorie balance in check and doing something to get you moving each day is great!

Great advice buddy. :)
    I'd second your opinion.. A little change every now and then definitely helps break the monotony and sometimes builds up different set of muscles that you never even knew you had! LOL