Best way to work up to bench press?

Options
PeachyPlum
PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
So, I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, and I'm having some trouble with the bench press.

I can push the women's bar just fine, but I'm not able to add weight to it because the plate holding bits have to sit in on the pegs on the rack.
I have tried to move up to the men's bar, but I can only crank out my first set, then a couple of reps for my second before I need a lot of assistance from the person spotting me. My form starts to break down and balancing the bar becomes a struggle.

Basically, I hate to even ask for a spot right now because I know I'm adding too much weight.

What is my best strategy for working up to the point where I can push the empty bar? Is the Smith machine a decent way to do this? I would prefer not to use dumbbells unless I have to.

My gym does have a hammer strength style machine, but I can't even push the arms without plates, so that's not much use to me.

Replies

• morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells... Even though I find that dumbbell press doesn't translate too well to barbell press. Or just keep pushing through you will get there in no time at all.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells helped me too. I soon progressed on to an olympic bar with weights. Stick at it!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So basically you're looking to lift 40 lbs if the women's bar is too light and the 45 pound bar is too heavy? Does your gym have those small barbells that come in increments of 10?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I used the smith machine for a while when I didn't have access to a barbell. I felt like it didn't translate very well into actually bench pressing with the bar.

Then I found the pre loaded bars (the ones with weights attached) and was able to use those.

Also, get yourself some incremental plates for when you do work up to the Olympic bar. When I was doing SL, I went up 2.5# in my bench and OHP. Much easier than trying 5# each time.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Work with the 40's then try doing the count down rather then doing sets do 25 then 90 sec rest then do 24 count down as low as you can go believe me you will burn
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have much shorter BB that are lighter...I would definitely go light as possible until you form is at least near correct.

DB work with Inc bench will also help immensely as well as OHP. If your sticking point is middle up then floor press will be great help as well.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you can do your first set with the 45lb bar fine but not the 2nd set, add more rest. 3-5 minutes of rest between sets. Try that.

Some sort of bar spacers on the 35lb bar to be able to add weight would probably work too. If you don't have any you can make them out of PVC for cheap.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells. I really wouldn't use the smith machine, if only because it heavily restricts your natural range of motion and bar path. The bar path in bench press will not usually be straight up and down. What makes you not want to use db's?

Also, how many reps are you doing with bench press? A good range for strength is anywhere up to 6 reps, yet I see a lot of people starting out doing 10-12 at least. If you have the technique down and the bar's not wobbling all over the place still like it usually does in the beginning, try lower reps and see if you can manage the full sets. 5x5 is a good place to start, and it should also get your strength up, faster than higher reps.

If you're already doing these rep ranges, ask for a spotter. Just be clear on what you're trying to achieve and seriously, most people will be happy to help. The whole reason most people have one is so they can push themselves that bit further and not worry about safety issues. Plus once you get comfortable with the bar, you can always go back to doing it by yourself if you really want to (although you'll probably progress easier with a spotter, because of being able to push yourself further)
  • lushers80
    lushers80 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I would either look to increase reps on ladies bar, or do lower reps on men's bar. You want to be able to do 3x3 minimum on men's bar before progressing and if you are not able to achieve this then look to increase rep range on female bar. If you are currently doing 5x5 look to hit 3x8 then 3x10 then 3x12.
    Dumbbells would be a better option than the smith machine, in addition if you can't get an intermediate lift try some other additional exercises to target the weak point of your bench. A good exercise that you can very safely do to failure is dips, you can do them after bench press to further fatigue the muscles, also consider fly's or dumbbell bench after barbell bench, if need be to allow you to make the jump.
    Best of luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did not know there were women's and men's bars :open_mouth:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Dumbells or push ups progressions
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Definitely start with the dumbbell route.

I progressively went up to 10kg dumbbells lying on a bench for 3 x 8 presses. Then progressed to empty men's Oly bar which was much more "comfortable" so to speak. Progressing nicely up the weights fractionally now at 5 x 5.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Shorter, narrower and lighter.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will work my way up with dumbbells for now!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    So basically you're looking to lift 40 lbs if the women's bar is too light and the 45 pound bar is too heavy? Does your gym have those small barbells that come in increments of 10?

Even if they do, she'd have no place to safely rack it.

I'd keep using the men's bar with a spotter. They'll have to help quite a bit initially, but unless you're are very small woman (105 pounds or less) you'll most likely develop enough strength to complete the reps quickly.

Never be shy about asking for a spot. You'll find that people are very accommodating
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Shorter, narrower and lighter.

Just like women!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Well most of my female clients got better at bench with me as a spotter. And I incorporate negatives for a couple of sets so they can get used to "feeling" the heavy weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing strong lifts. I was using the smith machine but am now using one of the PT's from the gym to spot me. Its so much better with the barbell than the smith machine and I can lift a lot more. I don't seem to be able to get 'under' the smith machine in the same way.

My gym has 10kg and 20kg bars but I think they are the same length and circumference. I use the 10kg bar because it like to put more actually weight on the bar (its an ego thing!!)

OP, I don't really understand what you're saying about putting weight on the smaller bar. Is it that the smaller bar, that you can lift, doesn't fit into the rack if you put weight on it?

I bench 37.5kg now. (I struggle on the last couple of sets but I have a spotter and I do just about do it - my form is poor on the last couple of lifts) That's either 27.5kg on the small (10kg) bar or 17.5kg on the big (20kg) bar.

If I've understood correctly I would try the find a way to add the weight to the smaller bar so you are working to your max without being unable to lift it.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options

OP, I don't really understand what you're saying about putting weight on the smaller bar. Is it that the smaller bar, that you can lift, doesn't fit into the rack if you put weight on it?

Yes, the smaller bar is substantially shorter. It fits in the rack without weight added, but the part where the plates go sits on the peg. If I add plates, it will not fit in the rack.
    DavPul wrote: »

I'd keep using the men's bar with a spotter. They'll have to help quite a bit initially, but unless you're are very small woman (105 pounds or less) you'll most likely develop enough strength to complete the reps quickly.

Never be shy about asking for a spot. You'll find that people are very accommodating

Depending on who's at the gym when I get there, I feel comfortable asking for a spot. When it's just me and the hardcore bodybuilders I feel less comfortable as they're all kind of in the zone. And I'm pretty close to what you'd call a very small woman - last weigh-in was about 106!

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1) Ask for a spot. Make a friend at the gym who you notice is usually there when you're there, and get them to spot you.

2) Work on your form. Engage your lats.

I started with Stronglifts 5x5 too. I hit the plateau on my bench press pretty fast, meanwhile squats and deads kept going up.

It was my form that was the issue. I was pushing with a flat back and not engaging my lats.

I watched the good powerlifters and bench-pressers in the gym, and started chatting them up. They were very happy to help me correct my form. It has taken about 6 months for me to re-work my bench press form, but I hit a PR yesterday (and I've been on a calorie cut for a while now).

Learning how to engage your lats will be the fastest way to gains on the bench. Plant feet flat, slightly behind your knees, and drive with your heels. Arch your back a bit and pull the bar to just below your sternum. Wrists as straight as you can get them. It helps to pull your chest & chin up to the bar before you do your reps, and squeeze your lats together while your back is off the bench. Then let yourself back down on the bench with the lats still engaged. Now have your spotter lift-off, and then begin your reps. Really work to keep your lats engaged.

I had it all wrong for years; thought the bench press was a chest exercise. But it's all about engaging those wide, strong back muscles.