Best way to work up to bench press?

Options

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    When it's just me and the hardcore bodybuilders I feel less comfortable as they're all kind of in the zone. And I'm pretty close to what you'd call a very small woman - last weigh-in was about 106!

Switch your mindset. Those guys are all more than happy to help a lady with a spot. Trust me :)

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I understand now. I know what you mean about asking for a spotter. If the usual guy in working I will get him to spot me and can lift 37.5kg. If he's not there I'll either use the smith machine (where I can only lift 25/30kg) or use the chest press
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    I find it interesting that no one asked what her press programming was.

y would we care?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    I find it interesting that no one asked what her press programming was.

She's doing SL 5x5.

OP...nothing wrong with asking for a spot. Also, nothing wrong with starting with dumbbells either. I use dumbbells in my programming all of the time. Actually, I more often than not bench with dumbbells as it is easier on my shoulders.
  • DavPul
    Options

OP, I don't really understand what you're saying about putting weight on the smaller bar. Is it that the smaller bar, that you can lift, doesn't fit into the rack if you put weight on it?

Yes, the smaller bar is substantially shorter. It fits in the rack without weight added, but the part where the plates go sits on the peg. If I add plates, it will not fit in the rack.
    DavPul wrote: »

I'd keep using the men's bar with a spotter. They'll have to help quite a bit initially, but unless you're are very small woman (105 pounds or less) you'll most likely develop enough strength to complete the reps quickly.

Never be shy about asking for a spot. You'll find that people are very accommodating

Depending on who's at the gym when I get there, I feel comfortable asking for a spot. When it's just me and the hardcore bodybuilders I feel less comfortable as they're all kind of in the zone. And I'm pretty close to what you'd call a very small woman - last weigh-in was about 106!

at 106, then lifting the 45 pound bar will be something to work up to, but once you get started it won't be too difficult to get there.

the hardcore bodybuilders are usually some of the nicest, most accommodating people at the gym. they've been doing it a long time, they remember how it feels to struggle to get the weight up, and they spot each other all the time (sometimes too much). but don't NOT ask for a spot just because you let the beeeg mooosels scare you. you're going to need those spots and you're going to need some help with a few negatives
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

OP, I don't really understand what you're saying about putting weight on the smaller bar. Is it that the smaller bar, that you can lift, doesn't fit into the rack if you put weight on it?

Yes, the smaller bar is substantially shorter. It fits in the rack without weight added, but the part where the plates go sits on the peg. If I add plates, it will not fit in the rack.

I'd keep using the men's bar with a spotter. They'll have to help quite a bit initially, but unless you're are very small woman (105 pounds or less) you'll most likely develop enough strength to complete the reps quickly.

Never be shy about asking for a spot. You'll find that people are very accommodating

Depending on who's at the gym when I get there, I feel comfortable asking for a spot. When it's just me and the hardcore bodybuilders I feel less comfortable as they're all kind of in the zone. And I'm pretty close to what you'd call a very small woman - last weigh-in was about 106!

at 106, then lifting the 45 pound bar will be something to work up to, but once you get started it won't be too difficult to get there.

the hardcore bodybuilders are usually some of the nicest, most accommodating people at the gym. they've been doing it a long time, they remember how it feels to struggle to get the weight up, and they spot each other all the time (sometimes too much). but don't NOT ask for a spot just because you let the beeeg mooosels scare you. you're going to need those spots and you're going to need some help with a few negatives

I will say that most of your more experienced and stronger men and women are probably nicer than you think. It's the "bro's" in the gym that are typically the dicks
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Oddly, I don't see them asking each other for a spot either. In fact, I see the most hardcore dudes go to extreme measures to not request a spot (bench pressing in the power rack to use the safety rails, for example).

Don't get me wrong, everyone is super nice, if not exactly friendly. I just hate having to impose on people, especially strangers. It's something I need to work on.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I don't see them asking each other for a spot either. In fact, I see the most hardcore dudes go to extreme measures to not request a spot (bench pressing in the power rack to use the safety rails, for example).

That's actually the type of person you want to give you a spot. I do the same thing and the reason is because most people don't know how to spot. Most guys think it's time to do upright rows while you're benching and it's not. Even just a little bit of pressure from a couple fingers can change the leverage. I just want somebody to grab the bar when I get stapled to the bench by it, but that's asking for too much.
  • DavPul
    Options

Don't get me wrong, everyone is super nice, if not exactly friendly. I just hate having to impose on people, especially strangers. It's something I need to work on.

STAHP making excuses and ask somebody for a spot!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what is a correct spotting technique (please excuse the noob question here)?. I stand behind my son when he is squatting and only gently apply pressure if he is struggling to the point of failure, and stand behind his head when he is benching and again only apply pressure if he absolutely cannot complete the lift up.

I bench a 45lb oly plus some weight. I started with just the bar doing 5 lifts, 3 reps with my son hovering anxiously lol as I struggled to lift it. I am slowly building up 2.5lbs at a time when I am ready and now do 5x5. I am 54 and recovering from a shoulder injury so progress is slow.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're engaging your lats, and using correct form while driving the bar using your whole body.

Also, accessory tricep work might help you, i.e. standing tricep extensions, cable pull downs, skullcrushers, etc.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Learning how to engage your lats will be the fastest way to gains on the bench. Plant feet flat, slightly behind your knees, and drive with your heels. Arch your back a bit and pull the bar to just below your sternum. Wrists as straight as you can get them. It helps to pull your chest & chin up to the bar before you do your reps, and squeeze your lats together while your back is off the bench. Then let yourself back down on the bench with the lats still engaged. Now have your spotter lift-off, and then begin your reps. Really work to keep your lats engaged.

Question about this - I'm short, and I honestly can't plat my feet flat on the ground when I'm on the bench. It's so uncomfortable that I seriously just pull my feet up and rest them on the bench with me. Is this totally ruining everything?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

Learning how to engage your lats will be the fastest way to gains on the bench. Plant feet flat, slightly behind your knees, and drive with your heels. Arch your back a bit and pull the bar to just below your sternum. Wrists as straight as you can get them. It helps to pull your chest & chin up to the bar before you do your reps, and squeeze your lats together while your back is off the bench. Then let yourself back down on the bench with the lats still engaged. Now have your spotter lift-off, and then begin your reps. Really work to keep your lats engaged.

Question about this - I'm short, and I honestly can't plat my feet flat on the ground when I'm on the bench. It's so uncomfortable that I seriously just pull my feet up and rest them on the bench with me. Is this totally ruining everything?

My hubby recommended I try this as well. The co-owner of my gym does this when he benches, and he's ripped at 60 years old.
    So, anecdotally, it might turn you into an old dude with a mustache.
  • DavPul
    Options

it's going to change (for the worse) the amount of leg drive you can apply to the lift. stack some weight or blocks on the floor where your feet would be and place your feet on higher surface you create.

Alicia.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what is a correct spotting technique (please excuse the noob question here)?.

The "correct" technique is to know exactly what the person performing the lift wants and expects - as well as what (s)he doesn't want. And do exactly that. Don't try to interpret anything as to what you think it means - if you're not sure you know exactly what's wanted/needed/expected, then ask for the specifics.
  • DavPul
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what is a correct spotting technique (please excuse the noob question here)?. I stand behind my son when he is squatting and only gently apply pressure if he is struggling to the point of failure, and stand behind his head when he is benching and again only apply pressure if he absolutely cannot complete the lift up.

I bench a 45lb oly plus some weight. I started with just the bar doing 5 lifts, 3 reps with my son hovering anxiously lol as I struggled to lift it. I am slowly building up 2.5lbs at a time when I am ready and now do 5x5. I am 54 and recovering from a shoulder injury so progress is slow.

that's fine. a lot of people on this site prefer to not have anyone so much as look at the bar until it's crushing their trachea, but if you only touch the bar when you see it's starting to go back down or you're positive he's stuck on the lift, it's fine. so.....your hands aren't on the bar until you see the struggle, right? and don't be too quick on the trigger either.

annoying things poor spotters do, in no particular order:

1. keep their hands on the bar
    2. reach for the bar in a panicked manner even tho i still have it under control.
    3. drip sweat on my face mid lift.
    4. wear baggy shorts and stand so close to my head that I'm looking at scrotes
    5. shout "YOU GOT THIS!!!" or "ONE MORE REP!!!" like they've lost their damn mind
    6. spit when they shout "YOU GOT THIS!!!" or "ONE MORE REP!!!"
    7. breathe stank *kitten* breath mid lift. or pre lift. or post lift. seriously, go get a mint.
    8. ignore the fact that i told them i was shooting for 8 reps and start spotting me with hands on the bar by the 2nd rep.
    9. instead of a little help to get past the sticking point, they start doing full shrugs all the way to the pins.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Question about this - I'm short, and I honestly can't plant my feet flat on the ground when I'm on the bench. It's so uncomfortable that I seriously just pull my feet up and rest them on the bench with me. Is this totally ruining everything?

it's going to change (for the worse) the amount of leg drive you can apply to the lift. stack some weight or blocks on the floor where your feet would be and place your feet on higher surface you create.

Alicia.jpg

Putting plates down is a great idea. The girl in this photo still doesn't have her feet flat though - is that okay, or a no-no?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That's pretty typical. If she had her legs straight down, she'd be flat-footed. Whatever way you want is fine - as long as your feet don't come up off the floor/plate as you're lifting.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The way I've been taught is press the heels down and drive from the heel. I don't see how you can get any real force with the tiptoes.

If you can manage it with stacked plates, feet flat so you can drive with your heels. Trust me on this: the drive is critical and allows you to provide a lot more force.

It's a lot like squats: the more you drive through the heel, the better off you're going to be.
  • DavPul
    Options

Question about this - I'm short, and I honestly can't plant my feet flat on the ground when I'm on the bench. It's so uncomfortable that I seriously just pull my feet up and rest them on the bench with me. Is this totally ruining everything?

Alicia.jpg

Putting plates down is a great idea. The girl in this photo still doesn't have her feet flat though - is that okay, or a no-no?

she's fine