Best way to work up to bench press?

Options
13»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well most of my female clients got better at bench with me as a spotter. And I incorporate negatives for a couple of sets so they can get used to "feeling" the heavy weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Did you add forced reps with this plan?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    work on your lats and triceps, thats where a whole lot of your bench power comes from. build up your tricep strength.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well most of my female clients got better at bench with me as a spotter. And I incorporate negatives for a couple of sets so they can get used to "feeling" the heavy weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you add forced reps with this plan?
    No, strictly negatives. Usually it's their 1 rep max. I help with the concentric, they do the eccentric.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• KristinaG_is_losing_it
    KristinaG_is_losing_it Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »

Learning how to engage your lats will be the fastest way to gains on the bench. Plant feet flat, slightly behind your knees, and drive with your heels. Arch your back a bit and pull the bar to just below your sternum. Wrists as straight as you can get them. It helps to pull your chest & chin up to the bar before you do your reps, and squeeze your lats together while your back is off the bench. Then let yourself back down on the bench with the lats still engaged. Now have your spotter lift-off, and then begin your reps. Really work to keep your lats engaged.

Question about this - I'm short, and I honestly can't plant my feet flat on the ground when I'm on the bench. It's so uncomfortable that I seriously just pull my feet up and rest them on the bench with me. Is this totally ruining everything?

it's going to change (for the worse) the amount of leg drive you can apply to the lift. stack some weight or blocks on the floor where your feet would be and place your feet on higher surface you create.

Alicia.jpg

Putting plates down is a great idea. The girl in this photo still doesn't have her feet flat though - is that okay, or a no-no?

This is what I do, granted I try to keep my feet flat when I'm driving up but sometimes it happens. I never bench pressed until about 9 months ago and I still don't do it as much as I should but I'm trying to break through my plateau of 90 lbs (regular bar).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I did not know there were women's and men's bars :open_mouth:

Shorter, narrower and lighter.

Just like women!

This is why we're friends. I had actually made that part of my post initially but removed it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The way I've been taught is press the heels down and drive from the heel. I don't see how you can get any real force with the tiptoes.

If you can manage it with stacked plates, feet flat so you can drive with your heels. Trust me on this: the drive is critical and allows you to provide a lot more force.

It's a lot like squats: the more you drive through the heel, the better off you're going to be.

This is a fairly good guideline but is not critical. Some of the best bench pressers in the world bench on their toes. It's all about your build, your mobility and your preferences. I bench feet flat, if I try to get up on my toes my calves cramp every time. My best friend who can bench more than 4 plates in competition is on his very tippy toes.

Neither is wrong, both are right depending on the scenario.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Best explanation for the leg drive in bench press and driving your lats into the bench :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWixOpqQsC8

I manage this method of "on" or "off" toes OK and I'm a shorty 5'2"!

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The way I've been taught is press the heels down and drive from the heel. I don't see how you can get any real force with the tiptoes.

If you can manage it with stacked plates, feet flat so you can drive with your heels. Trust me on this: the drive is critical and allows you to provide a lot more force.

It's a lot like squats: the more you drive through the heel, the better off you're going to be.

I recently started benching with just my toes on the floor and honestly haven't noticed a difference in my ability to push the weight.
  • forrestehrlicha
    forrestehrlicha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best way just do ladders I'm benching 295 as my max right now and I've been doing low weights to start off stretch after your good and warm to prevent injury slow your roll when on the bench also the more the burn the better hit as many as you can a 100 times and than keep half the reps go up a little more weight and so on you will see your results when it comes to maxing out
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Best way just do ladders I'm benching 295 as my max right now and I've been doing low weights to start off stretch after your good and warm to prevent injury slow your roll when on the bench also the more the burn the better hit as many as you can a 100 times and than keep half the reps go up a little more weight and so on you will see your results when it comes to maxing out

Wut?
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Wut?

Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't just me.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Best explanation for the leg drive in bench press and driving your lats into the bench :

Very cool video!

I love his bit at the end about pushing yourself into the bench, instead of trying to push the bar away from you.

When I was learning to deadlift, best advice I got was to imagine yourself pushing the floor away from you, instead of trying to pull the bar away from the floor. It really helped.

Sometimes the way something is phrased gets you into just the right mindset to perform the action properly.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Wut?

Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't just me.

It wasn't just you.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Double post
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote "that's fine. a lot of people on this site prefer to not have anyone so much as at the bar until it's crushing their trachea, but if you only touch the bar when you see it's starting to go back down or you're positive he's stuck on the lift, it's fine. so.....your hands aren't on the bar until you see the struggle, right? and don't be too quick on the trigger either.

annoying things poor spotters do, in no particular order:

1. keep their hands on the bar
    2. reach for the bar in a panicked manner even tho i still have it under control.
    3. drip sweat on my face mid lift.
    4. wear baggy shorts and stand so close to my head that I'm looking at scrotes
    5. shout "YOU GOT THIS!!!" or "ONE MORE REP!!!" like they've lost their damn mind
    6. spit when they shout "YOU GOT THIS!!!" or "ONE MORE REP!!!"
    7. breathe stank *kitten* breath mid lift. or pre lift. or post lift. seriously, go get a mint.
    8. ignore the fact that i told them i was shooting for 8 reps and start spotting me with hands on the bar by the 2nd rep.
    9. instead of a little help to get past the sticking point, they start doing full shrugs all the way to the pins. [/quote]"

Thanks for the answer and I will try to refrain from doing the annoying stuff - I don't wear shorts and haven't got scrotes so #4 is covered!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So when i started doing bench, my max bench was 140 and i weighed 285, so i'm saying i was incredibly weak. I, probably ignorantly, set a goal to bench 300lbs within the year.

What i did is bench as much weight as i could and would just do 1-2 reps (a weight i knew i could do 1 rep) and i would just do many sets of low reps (by many i mean 10 sets or more) and then at the end i would further fatigue my chest by doing a lighter weight of 3 sets at a 6-8 reps.

Within the end of the year i was down to 265 (i wasn't watching my diet then so my weight loss was pretty minimal) and on 12/28 i benched my goal of 300lbs. So to me my method really developed my bench. I lifted every single day and did chest/triceps every 3rd day.

So my suggestion is low reps of heavy weight and do many many sets of it.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Very cool video!

I love his bit at the end about pushing yourself into the bench, instead of trying to push the bar away from you.

When I was learning to deadlift, best advice I got was to imagine yourself pushing the floor away from you, instead of trying to pull the bar away from the floor. It really helped.

Sometimes the way something is phrased gets you into just the right mindset to perform the action properly.
    Glad you liked it!
    I must say I have become a bit of a fan of Alan Thrall and subscribe to his YouTube channel. He says it as it is with clear demonstrations, a proper old school "strong man"!.
    No posing bro-science from this guy. I just wish I had discovered his wisdom a long time ago !