too supplement or not....

Options
So now that most of us have the nutrition part down. What do you all feel about pre-workout supplements? No weights type of gal. Should they be taken for a cardio workout plan?

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Majority of pre-workouts in the most simplistic explanation is caffeine. It's more of a "pick me up" than anything. I personally take one before working out as it's simple, tastes good, cost effective, and I work out at 4am......

With that said.... coffee, caffeine pills, energy drinks/shots, can and will produce similiar effects based on your tolerance for caffeine.
  • tazsababy
    tazsababy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not real big on caffeine. I went to GNC and got some pre-work out stuff without creatine and caffeine. I am hoping it helps with my recovery at least. Thanks for responding though it was very helpful. Healthy Times to you!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear a lot more answers to this question.

For myself, I tend to get concerned when people talk about taking supplements unless they're prescribed by a good doctor.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you are hitting your macro and micro nutrients why would you need to supplement?
  • tazsababy
    Options
    Right. That was the question ;)
  • tazsababy
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'd like to hear a lot more answers to this question. Always :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i dont see a reason to take a preworkout unless i am really really dragging butt that day. And for a cardio workout? I dont see it being necessary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    What's the name of the supplement you bought?
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I sometimes use one in the morning because I get up at 4:45, iEvolve gives me the least amount of problems, a lot of them I can't use...I also sometimes use caffeine pill or coffee, just depends on how I feel and how tired I am and how much time I have. Also.....I don't think this question really has anything to do with macro micro jibber jabber, so let's not be that way.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    20Grit wrote: »
    And I don't think this question really has anything to do with macro micro jibber jabber, so let's not be that way.

I think the point was... someone who is meeting their nutritional needs GENERALLY has abundant (or atleast not lacking) energy levels. I hear many people go on and on about how "i thought i had chronic fatigue syndrome before!" or "I have never had so much energy in my life!" when they actually start hitting their goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I feel they're unnecessary, unless I'm not making my protein goal that day.
  • tazsababy
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I have lost 11 lbs in 7 days meeting my caloric goals everyday. Was going back and forth on a supplement. I may take one on the days I feel tired. Thanks all.
  • 20Grit
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    And I don't think this question really has anything to do with macro micro jibber jabber, so let's not be that way.

I think the point was... someone who is meeting their nutritional needs GENERALLY has abundant (or atleast not lacking) energy levels. I hear many people go on and on about how "i thought i had chronic fatigue syndrome before!" or "I have never had so much energy in my life!" when they actually start hitting their goals.

understood - sorry for the confusion.

• 20Grit
    Options
    tazsababy wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I have lost 11 lbs in 7 days meeting my caloric goals everyday. Was going back and forth on a supplement. I may take one on the days I feel tired. Thanks all.

Are you sure that's not mostly water- that's a lot of weight in one week. A healthy loss averages 1-1.5 a week.

• mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So now that most of us have the nutrition part down. What do you all feel about pre-workout supplements? No weights type of gal. Should they be taken for a cardio workout plan?

What do you want to achieve with supplementation? Everyone has a different reason for it, and there are endless amounts of companies wanting your money so just be clear on what you need. The "should" lies in that answer... :)
  • tazsababy
    Options

Are you sure that's not mostly water- that's a lot of weight in one week. A healthy loss averages 1-1.5 a week.
    I drink 3 gallons of water a day and I do long 75-90 minute work outs a day. I eat under my caloric intake and I eat a lot of spinach. I have a lot of weight to loose and when I am working out and eating right it always comes off easy.
  • tazsababy
    Options

What do you want to achieve with supplementation? Everyone has a different reason for it, and there are endless amounts of companies wanting your money so just be clear on what you need. The "should" lies in that answer... :)

Yeah I seen how many different ones there are. I wanted more for endurance and recovery. But I am totally against caffeine and creatine so it narrowed it down for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    90% of supplements aren't needed if you have a balanced diet. All pre workouts contain some sort of stimulant, hence the "bump" in energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love pre work out , but don't use it lots as don't want my body to get used to it , it does work big time I find
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    hutchy100 wrote: »
    I love pre work out , but don't use it lots as don't want my body to get used to it , it does work big time I find

Second this, after a year and a half of using pre-workouts every session I couldn't workout without them, I was hooked! They are great but if I ever buy one again I'm only using them if I'm training at like 5am or if I'm feeling awful that day!