Paleo Diet

Options
I just started the Paleo diet and I am on my 3rd day. I have already lost 1 pounds with limited exercise.

prior to paleo I ran mile after mile and ate so many processed carbs like crackers and power bars. Once I cut dairy and wheat out my energy skyrocketed.

I weigh 125 now at 5,5 and for my small frame I am thinking my ideal weight is 118. I am less hungry and concentrate better with the addition of all these healthy fats.

Have any of you had success in reaching your ideal weight through Paleo? Any tips?

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I just started the Paleo diet and I am on my 3rd day. I have already lost 1 pounds with limited exercise.

prior to paleo I ran mile after mile and ate so many processed carbs like crackers and power bars. Once I cut dairy and wheat out my energy skyrocketed.

I weigh 125 now at 5,5 and for my small frame I am thinking my ideal weight is 118. I am less hungry and concentrate better with the addition of all these healthy fats.

Have any of you had success in reaching your ideal weight through Paleo? Any tips?

I'm sorry about your health condition that causes you to have less energy when you eat dairy and wheat.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Going to be honest with you. Paleo was really unsuccessful for me. I did it for two years off and on, and lost some weight but always put it back on. The reason why you are losing weight is a calorie deficit - plain and simple. There really is no magic about paleo in particular and it is an approach to nutrition, not a structured weight loss plan.

I got really caught up in the hype of the effects of paleo and I truly think a lot of it is psychosomatic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The 1 lb you lost is water weight from cutting carbs.

I have yet to meet anyone on these forums who really follows the paleo diet. Some say they do, but after discussion, it's clear that they don't. Most just eat high fat low carb and say it's paleo. It seems to be overly restrictive to me. But, if you feel better and are getting proper nutrition from this diet, then best of luck to you with it.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've been on a strict Paleo for 2 months. I've lost 12 lbs eating 1500 calories a day with a goal of eating 130g of protein a day, which on Paleo is challenging, but I have a rhythm now. No dairy, grains, added sugar (to include honey or maple syrup), or legumes. I feel good, think more clearly and have lots more energy. I tried it last year but my heart wasn't really in it and I quit after two weeks. This time I really wanted to give it a sincere effort and I'm glad I did.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

I have followed the Paleo lifestyle for 2.5 years now by my doctors recommendation. The first 2 years I followed it 85%. As of last Dec, I have been on a constant 21dsd, limited sweeteners (no artificial), no fruit, no caffeine & no alcohol. I have never felt better inside & out.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Psalm37v4 wrote: »
    I've been on a strict Paleo for 2 months. I've lost 12 lbs eating 1500 calories a day with a goal of eating 130g of protein a day, which on Paleo is challenging, but I have a rhythm now. No dairy, grains, added sugar (to include honey or maple syrup), or legumes. I feel good, think more clearly and have lots more energy. I tried it last year but my heart wasn't really in it and I quit after two weeks. This time I really wanted to give it a sincere effort and I'm glad I did.

I'm not that familiar with Paleo - why is it that you can't eat legumes?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm not paleo so I don't have a dog in this fight but I've never understood why people get so hung up on "overly restrictive." You hear that thrown out a lot. If cutting calories is the goal isn't there always some sort of restriction? Sure, you CAN have ice cream, pizza, fast food, etc free eating/iifym/whatever you label it but it's usually in bonkers small amounts. A single piece of pizza. Baked potato and chili at Wendy's. 1/2 cup of ice cream. Yawn. Sounds like restriction to me.
    Keyword: overly. Being alive is restrictive on what you can eat: I can't eat unlimited amounts of concrete or hemlock, regardless of what diet I'm on. All weight loss is going to require the restriction of a calorie deficit, but plenty of diets add other restrictions, which is what can make them overly restrictive.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    Something something ancestors didn't eat (unless your Asian), something something phytoestrogens / phyto chemicals, something something requires cooking to eat for non-ruminants.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'm not paleo so I don't have a dog in this fight but I've never understood why people get so hung up on "overly restrictive." You hear that thrown out a lot. If cutting calories is the goal isn't there always some sort of restriction? Sure, you CAN have ice cream, pizza, fast food, etc free eating/iifym/whatever you label it but it's usually in bonkers small amounts. A single piece of pizza. Baked potato and chili at Wendy's. 1/2 cup of ice cream. Yawn. Sounds like restriction to me.
    Keyword: overly. Being alive is restrictive on what you can eat: I can't eat unlimited amounts of concrete or hemlock, regardless of what diet I'm on. All weight loss is going to require the restriction of a calorie deficit, but plenty of diets add other restrictions, which is what can make them overly restrictive.

meh... it's still a relative term.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

here you can find support:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I have yet to meet anyone on these forums who really follows the paleo diet. Some say they do, but after discussion, it's clear that they don't. Most just eat high fat low carb and say it's paleo. It seems to be overly restrictive to me. But, if you feel better and are getting proper nutrition from this diet, then best of luck to you with it.

I agree there is inherent restriction in any weight loss diet. But restricting foods in order to cut calories is far different than cutting out all grains, legumes, nightshade vegetables, limiting fruits, commercial meats and eggs, and the other restrictions paleo entails. Hence the term "overly" restrictive.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Something something ancestors didn't eat (unless your Asian), something something phytoestrogens / phyto chemicals, something something requires cooking to eat for non-ruminants.

basically
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I agree there is inherent restriction in any weight loss diet. But restricting foods in order to cut calories is far different than cutting out all grains, legumes, nightshade vegetables, limiting fruits, commercial meats and eggs, and the other restrictions paleo entails. Hence the term "overly" restrictive.

Whether it's overly restrictive or not would depend on your attachment to those foods and how impacted you are by giving them up. If you tell me "hey, you can't have ice cream every day" I would say "meh, I don't get enough calories to fit a satisfying amount in anyhow so who cares?" Eggs or processed meats are a different story. I get people get freaked out when they're given rules telling them not to do something. Usually they're not doing much of the thing they're being told not to do anyhow though so it's kind of funny.

I can agree with all of that. My "overly restrictive" remark was more about the fact that I've never found a single person that stuck with paleo strictly for more than a short period of time.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Beans & Legumes contain anti-nutrients that prevent the absorption of vitamins & nutrients.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Beans & Legumes contain anti-nutrients that prevent the absorption of vitamins & nutrients.

honestly, I can't tell if that is the 'real' reason, or if you are just being facetious.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

The "antinutrients" are phytic acid and are just as high in the nuts that are allowed on the Paleo diet.

Edit: article on legumes and Paleo http://chriskresser.com/are-legumes-paleo/