Veg&Fruit calories?!

Options
So on the weight watchers diet, you do not include fruit and veg into your point scheme (like of like calories counted) so should I stick to this rule when counting calories? E.g- As a banana has 100 calories but I heard it takes around that to digest it?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Weight Watchers wants its dieters to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, so they are not counted. To compensate, the daily calorie limits are lower than say, at MFP. You could say Weight Watchers is a minimum - plus fruits and veggies diet.

Fruits and veggies all count for calories on MFP. There are no negative calorie foods.

From the Weight Watchers Q & A:

How much 0 PointsPlus values fruit is too much?
    We’ll say it again: Yes, fruits and vegetables aren’t magically calorie-free just by dint of us making most of them free of PointsPlus values. We took this step to encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables; foods that are nutritious, satisfying and help to encourage you to make healthy, lasting choices that will lead to weight loss.

If you’re concerned that you’re eating “too much fruit," ask yourself if you’re enjoying what you’re eating, or if you’re honestly stuffing yourself with bananas because they’re “free." Or maybe you’re blending pounds of berries and bananas with ice into big-gulp smoothies.

If you’re using fruit and veggies as a way to stuff yourself in lieu of stuffing yourself with less healthy foods, then it’s possible that you may be reaching the point of “too much." If you’re eating more than you used to, but you’re using them for healthy snacks, to bulk up your meals or as a tide-me-over when you’re down to the last few PointsPlus values for the day or week, then you’re probably OK.

The bottom line? Let your hunger, and your weight loss, be your guide.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    E.g- As a banana has 100 calories but I heard it takes around that to digest it?

Not true.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're not burning off 100 calories just by chewing your banana. If you're eating 500 extra calories in fruits and veggies a day you're going to gain weight. Too many calories is too many calories no matter what they are.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Log everything
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Psalm37v4 wrote: »
    Log everything

</thread>
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    E.g- As a banana has 100 calories but I heard it takes around that to digest it?

Not true.

Yeah, probably more like 15 calories.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i wish a banana burned 100 calories to digest. i'd eat a lot more of them! ;)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Every.
    Calorie.
    Counts.

I just ate a 642-ish calorie fruit salad. Do I get a pass 'cause it's fruits and veggies?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Not true.

So so so not true. A large banana has about the same nutritional value as a cupcake. They are incredibly high in sugar and carbs. They are absolutely NOT free and if you choose to eat them, they are a food that MUST be weighed as they can vary so much in size.

If it is a food, log it. They all count.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons Weight Watcher's didn't work for me. LOG EVERY BITE.