i need belp figuring out how to gain weight.

Options
Hi I'm 5'7 and 110lbs and trying to gain 10-15 lbs. Preferably in muscle. I go to the gym regularly but I'm not sure what I should be focusing on. I have a medical condition that restricts my diet to lean meats, whole grains, low fiber foods and less than 50g of fat a day. Could anyone give me advice on how to reach my goal? It would be much appreciated.

Replies

• ghealdan
    ghealdan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think your diet restrictions are just fine. The only way to gain muscle is to have a calorie surplus. Focus on compound exercises and limit the cardio.
  • WeAreSageMode
    WeAreSageMode Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here is the info I used to get my macros and nutrition down
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

- Calculate your macronutrient needs. Rough number is fine
    - Eat at those calories for a week and see if you should increase or decrease your caloric intake.
    - You can aim for a pound a week or more. I advise you go slow and steady. As long as youre at a surplus.

Follow a solid workout routine. Im a fan of compound movements early on.
    I started off my workout career with Starting Strength. You can find the details of the program with a quick google search.

Alternative: Friend did this one with good results.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

- Check ego at door. Aim to improve form and the strength will come. I started off using the bar on everything.
    - Slow and steady progression.
    - Keep your diet in check. You will need the extra energy.
    - Keep it simple for the first 6 months.
    - Benchmark everything you do. Keep track of all your lifts and your diet. Strive to improve daily, then weekly, then monthly, and eventually yearly.

About me: 5'7 120 lbs in highschool. Now Im sitting at 165 lbs. Act now. Adjust/adapt as you learn more. Hope this helps.

TLDR
    - Eat alot. Lift Heavy. Repeat
  • majoraslantern
    majoraslantern Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the information!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are not just going to gain 10-15 pounds of muscle some of that is going to be fat. if you gain 10 pounds at a 1:1 ratio then it is going to be five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle, no way around that.

increase calories
    hit macros
    pick a structured lifting program and commit to it.
    I would say get about .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .4grams of fat, and fill in rest with carbs..

• Rnej
    Rnej Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    take a look at Jason Blaha's 5x5 routine, I gained a lot of strength and muscle with that programme! what ndj1979 said is spot on. commit and eat a surplus, focus on protein.
  • emezrahi
    emezrahi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    TLDR

Found the redditor!
  • WeAreSageMode
    WeAreSageMode Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    emezrahi wrote: »
    TLDR