On days you do NOT work out, do you go over your calorie limit for the day?

Options
I'm struggling with this. Like today I wasn't planning on working out but I only have 334 calories left for the day. Dinner will have to be very light and then I'll be starving in the evening. If you look at my diary today, I don't think its that bad. I guess I'll at least get a little bit of a workout in just so I can eat a decent dinner.

Do any of you have this problem?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me open it up.. sorry!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    consider a weekly target vs a daily target. Do you have days where you have a little extra leftover after that bangin workout? Have a good and satisfying meal tonight and save those extra calories from the gym next time.

Weight loss is made in the kitchen, you don't need to workout in order to eat.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is REALLY low... that's not helping you either. Check this out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I can give you a simple answer; 1200 calories is very LOW.

There isn't much room within 1200 calories to eat everything and feel satiated (as far as I believe). OP maybe you could make your caloric deficit lesser?
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes I usually do. I only get 1220 calories and I find it extremely difficult to eat that little. I stay under for week though so it hasn't hindered my weight loss- I mean I'm still losing a pound a week.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I exercise evrey day. I do less cardio on days i lift. Don't do more then your body can handle, but I do not see anything wrong with some exercise evrey day.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I can give you a simple answer; 1200 calories is very LOW.

There isn't much room within 1200 calories to eat everything and feel satiated (as far as I believe). OP maybe you could make your caloric deficit lesser?

Couldn't agree with you more now that the OP has opened her diary.

OP what are your stats?
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Yeah, I've just started using MFP again this past week but I have had a little left over a couple of days. I will eventually do better workouts once I can... I need to build back up to it. Until then, this will be a struggle. I'm just afraid I'll get frustrated and very hungry and then binge on something that I shouldn't.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories so that you can increase your protein.
  • kshadows
    Options
    Jenn3878 wrote: »
    get frustrated and very hungry and then binge on something that I shouldn't.

Eating VLC will contribute to being hungry and bingeing. Good reason to up your calories.

For reference, I'm 5'5, CW: 128, SW: 183
    I lost the majority of my weight on 1450-1650 cals per day, PLUS eating back exercise cals.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    It's low? Really? That's just what MFP gave me.

What stats do you want? I'm 5'6". I'd rather not say my actual weight right now. I'd like to lose 1-2 lbs a week.
  • kshadows
    Options

What stats do you want? I'm 5'6". I'd rather not say my actual weight right now. I'd like to lose 1-2 lbs a week.

Yes, MFP is only as good as the info it's given. Check the link I posted.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Thank you for the links!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Well then we can't really give you another caloric deficit to eat at. Seeing as you're struggling with 1200 calories on the days you're not working out.

Sorry.
  • JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use the IIFYM methodology. You should look into that too if you have this problem. It sets you more realistic goals for your Macros and you have to hit them everyday (whether you workout or not) and you dont count workout calories ever. They are already accounted for based on what you say your average workout is like in the formula.

I also feel this way is slightly healthier because it puts a little more emphasis on the Macros rather than just calories. This will give you a better all around diet versus just eating calories no matter whether they are all carbs or all protein.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

It is likely giving you 1200 based on the rate at which you said you'd like to lose. Did you say 2 lbs/week?

Anecdotally I am shorter than you, 5'2, and I lose weight netting close to 1700 cals/day. I eat closer to 2000 cals every day and still lose.

• BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Ok, it looks like I have a lot to learn and research. I will figure out what I need to up my calorie intake to. Thank you all for your help!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Mine was set at 1200 per day too and I found I couldn't stick to it I was hungry and cranky and would binge. I had to go back in and set my goals to 1lb per week and it gives me 1590 cal per day which is much more doable for me and some weeks I lose more than 1lb. I personally try to limit my bread intake especially flatbreads and tortillas because they seem to be higher in calories and I also try to stay away from anything prepackaged the calorie contents are higher if I prepare everything fresh I get more food for my calories. Yes its time consuming and takes longer but my family likes me better. I also find that my food bill isn't any more than it was before. I just stopped buying all junk food and replaced it with fresh fruits, vegetables and meat. My husband likes having steak rather than eating chips or having chicken nuggets.