Pre-logging?

Options
I've been logging pretty consistently for the past four months or so now, but I've recently started pre-logging all of my meals and snacks the night before. I mostly do it because I've become more conscientious about my macros, but I haven't been doing this long enough to be able to estimate percentages yet, but also because my weight loss has slowed down lately and I'm just trying to be more conscientious in general.

I was just wondering, for the other people who pre-log, if you think it helps you stick to your calories for the day? I think it's helped so far, though I do still add an unplanned item or two to my "snacks" nearly every day.

Just wanted to get the take from people who have been doing this longer and so have more experience to draw upon. Thanks.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Pre log for the day early morning... I also pre-cook and prepare for the week (unless something unexplained happens).. It does help me stay a float with my calories and sometimes it becomes a bit OCD for me as I do tweak during the day... sometimes a lot...
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my food the night before or early in the morning.. It really helps not to go over your calories and you get very close to your Macros!! I also meal prep so it helps me to mix and match proteins and veggies from day to day.. Sometimes I add a snack or so every day but I don't go above my calorie limit!!! I hope this helps, keep logging!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same pattern, I usually make breakfast and pack my lunch & snacks at the same time in the morning, so I'll log basically everything except dinner all at one time. I find it helps two ways: (1) I don't have to feel guilty or worried about eating what I've already logged, so I can just enjoy it. and (2) when I see ALL THAT FOOD at one time in a big pile, I have a visual image that stays with me most of the day that helps me avoid mindless snackage.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I pre-log too. Now that I am near goal and have a lower daily calorie allotment, I am more flexible with my plan for the day. Sometimes this mean switching some planned foods; other times it means adding more calories. Sometimes the added calories reflect additional calories burned during exercise, sometimes not. While pre-logging helps me enormously, I find that there are times I am particularly hungry or am craving something. Being somewhat flexible helps me to avoid a major pigout. :smile:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been pre-logging for almost 8 months and it definitely helps me stick to my calorie goal. I log everything the night before or in the morning. I sometimes make small adjustments.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's a great idea! I generally only do a day or two at a time, unless I've been batch cooking.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i also pre-log first thing in the morning ~ it helps me stay accountable!
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I pre log the night before if I have work so I know if I eat everything I bring for my 13 hour shift I am still in the green.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a week at a time! Always know what I'm going to be having (and I eat the same thing for a week at a time thanks to batch cooking). I do adjust things as I go if things change, but this definitely helps keep me on track!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I pre-log when I know there is something specific I'm going to be having later in the day, or if there's something I want to have later and ensure I have room for it (i.e. a Beer on the weekend).

It's rare I pre-log the entire day, but common I start the day, then add in dinner or a late snack, and then work backwards to fill in the middle of the day.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Pre log for the day early morning... I also pre-cook and prepare for the week (unless something unexplained happens).. It does help me stay a float with my calories and sometimes it becomes a bit OCD for me as I do tweak during the day... sometimes a lot...

Yep. I pre-log, but for 7 years previous to MFP, I also pre-planned and pre-cooked for the week, so there is little difference except that it's more portable!
  • laurieethridge
    laurieethridge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    pre-logging has been extremely beneficial for me obtaining my goals. I log the night before.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I prelog before a big meal with others in order to see what I have left. On my own, I don't need to.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I generally prolog. Sometimes if I'm going out for dinner I will prolog breakfast and lunch and then seeing how little I have left to have on the night out inspires me to get some exercise in to earn a few calories! Even just a 300 cal lunchtime walk / jog makes all the difference later on.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, pre-logging has been extremely helpful for me. I still ending up adding something occasionally, but not often anymore. When I pre-log for longer than a day, it also helps with the grocery shopping (I live 45 min from the store).
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I tend to pre-log on the day before each meal, mainly to check that the calorie count is what I expect it to be. If I'm eating out, I might pre-log the entire day to make sure I can fit in whatever I'm planning to eat out. For me, once it is in the diary, that's it. I find it very hard to change it because it is already recorded. That really helps a lot.

The only problem is occasionally I want to eat something that isn't in the log already (i.e. when someone offers you something you weren't expecting, for example). Even then, because I've already pre-logged I feel like it is easier to say "no".

Even better is completing your entry for the day. Once I've done that, it is REALLY hard for me to "make additional entries" so that stops me being tempted when I'm chilling of an evening :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    In my experience, most people who've had success with this pre-log or at some point have pre-logged. I think it's pretty important, particularly in the beginning. As you progress you become a bit more accustomed to what your day to day is going to be anyway...and then eventually you don't have to log anything.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I make a meal plan on Friday for the following week and pre-log my dinners. Then I'll pre-log my other meals either in morning or the night before. It has helped me stay within my goals.

I even pre-log "fun meals" so I know how many calories I have to work with to stay within my goal but still enjoy the pizza I'm having on Friday night (for example).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've been pre-prepping food for the day in the mornings for years now (it's when I have most of my energy, and I'm an early riser), so adding the extra step to weigh and then pre-log just fits in with that and with my daily schedule.

I might make small tweaks here or there, depending if an odd craving hits me, but it's pretty rare.