Oven Baked Hen Lunchbox (400 Calories w/pics)

Options
RillSoji
RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
My hubby requested a more traditional meat and potatoes meal. It took me a little while to come up with a suitable option but I think this works nicely. My hubby gave it two thumbs up anyway! Instead of beef or even chicken I chose a cornish hen. They have a very flavorful taste to the meat and are low calorie. Especially after you trim the fat and remove the skin. In this case I also cut down the hen into thighs, drumsticks, wings, breasts and tenderloins then split them between us.

227179_2076931164077_1268916663_32512630_8180929_n.jpg

2 Servings | 400 Calories
1 Serving Pictured

1 Cornish Hen
2 Tbl Chicken Breading (I use Andy's Mild Chicken Breading)
1 Small Corn on the Cob
2 Small Potatoes (I used Russet about 2")
1 cup Green Beans
1/2 cup Grape Tomatoes
1 Slice Turkey Bacon
1/8 cup Green Onion
1/8 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Tbl Light Sour Cream
1 Tbl Butter
Cooking Spray
Salt & Pepper

Cut the hen into thighs, drumsticks, wings, breasts and tenderloins. Remove skin and trim excess fat.

Preheat oven to 375° F. Coat each piece of hen with a light coating of chicken breading and lightly spray with cooking spray. Place on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes then remove breasts, wings and tenderloins (so they don't overcook and dry out) and set aside. Bake remaining pieces for 10 minutes more.

Meanwhile...

Bring a pot of water to a boil, add green beans and cook until desired tenderness, 5-10 minutes. Remove from water then add corn and boil until at desired doneness, 5-10 minutes. Set the green beans in a bowl. Add 1/2 the butter and desired amount of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread the remaining butter on the corn and sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.

Microwave the slice of bacon until done and very crispy. Crumble and set aside. Poke holes in the potatoes with a fork then microwave for 3-5 minutes each or until cooked through. Slice the green onions. Slice open the potato, stuff with cheese and sour cream. Sprinkle with bacon and green onions.

Replies

• posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    wow looks amazing. great job!!!!!
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wow! That looks AMAZING!!
  • Faith2FeelFabulous
    Faith2FeelFabulous Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yum. That looks healthy and delish!!
  • Chey16
    Chey16 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BUMPPPPPPPP! That looks so good i think i may have to steel that from you!!!!
  • Jess6901
    Jess6901 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That looks so good. I've got to try this!