Recipes for a healthier cheesecake?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is NOT cheesecake, but to have something cheesecake-ish on the regular? Simply lightly sweeten a big tub of ricotta cheese. Add some vanilla extract if you're feeling fancy. I have no amounts for this, I just wing it.

Put it into a buttered square baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. It will completely firm up once cooled in the refrigerator.

It's GREAT for breakfast with berries.

This actually sounds delicious. I love ricotta.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    1/2 calorie cheesecake:

Make your favorite cheesecake.

Portion out your 'regular' sized slice.

Now cut said slice in half and consume one half. Place other half in container to consume tomorrow.

Here's the answer, end topic. Some things (cheesecake), shall not be ruined trying to make them "healthier". Eat less of it, and enjoy it properly, or don't bother.
    ^^^This...

IMO, making a lower calorie "healthier" version is just a way giving yourself permission to eat the whole thing and thus continuing down a path of disordered eating. Learning how to eat and enjoy a sensible portion is the true key to long-term success...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I've made this and it's pretty damn good:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've made this and it's pretty damn good:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361

I've made it too. It's ok. But definitely not like a real cheesecake.
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is NOT cheesecake, but to have something cheesecake-ish on the regular? Simply lightly sweeten a big tub of ricotta cheese. Add some vanilla extract if you're feeling fancy. I have no amounts for this, I just wing it.

Put it into a buttered square baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. It will completely firm up once cooled in the refrigerator.

It's GREAT for breakfast with berries.

This sounds awesome!! Thank you!
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You can just make a thin base as normal (or use half butter half apple sauce.)

A tub of 0% greek yoghurt
    A sachet of cheesecake or white chocolate jell-o (I add a tablespoon of caster sugar sometimes),
    Mix up with a hand mixer pour onto your normal base, pop in freezer for 30 mins. Then fridge or serve and yummy low, fat low cal cheesecake for 4 people.

Super simple if craving cheesecake and comes out a similar taste/consistency.

(Quark cake is a German version of cheesecake, slightly less sweet, healthier than real baked cheesecake if you want a baked one.)
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Perhaps replacing cake with something healthy such as fruits
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Thou shall not desecrate they sacred cheesecake by substituting low-anything ingredients !
    Take upon they a portion made right by weight and measure.
    And again I say rejoice !
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The right way to slice cake.

Lower fat cream cheese or quark as mentioned above.
    Half the sugar or use an artificial sweetener.
    Sweeten with fresh fruit.

Thanks for posting this. I love Numberphile!
  • Tezzi_B
    Tezzi_B Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Apud85 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Try this one and tell me what you think, I want to try it but I haven't got to it yet...

http://www.abakinggirl.com/2013/01/21/greek-yogurt-cheesecake/

I've never seen this one before! It looks really good, I'll let you know!

Hey,

So i have baked the lemon and blueberry greek yogurt cheesecake off of the website, it smells and looks amazing but i have to let it chill for a few hours... fingers crossed it tastes as good as it looks :smile: 503cv01xb7fk.jpg
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The thought of making cheesecake with anything but regular cream cheese, is making me feel ill!! There are plenty of different things I like to substitute with lower calorie versions, but cheesecake... I just don't think that's a good idea, ever. Even the lower calorie cream cheese is NASTY, always has this powdery feeling to it.
    If you're gonna do cheesecake, get one from whole foods or a place you really enjoy (or make one), eat a reasonable slice that fits into your calorie goal. :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    1/2 calorie cheesecake:

Make your favorite cheesecake.

Portion out your 'regular' sized slice.

Now cut said slice in half and consume one half. Place other half in container to consume tomorrow.

Here's the answer, end topic. Some things (cheesecake), shall not be ruined trying to make them "healthier". Eat less of it, and enjoy it properly, or don't bother.
    ^^^This...

IMO, making a lower calorie "healthier" version is just a way giving yourself permission to eat the whole thing and thus continuing down a path of disordered eating. Learning how to eat and enjoy a sensible portion is the true key to long-term success...

I like you. B)
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of ww but this really does taste great. (I would personally freezer it for half hour I serving soon after making. I play around with the base, sometimes ginger nuts, oats baked, museli crunch etc to get the calories lower. )

http://sleevedinthecity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/weight-watchers-faux-cheesecake.html?m=1
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

First I felt angry at your comment. And defensive. So what if I want to feel better about eating a giganto piece!!! Then I realized that is part of my bingey food issues/own "disordered thinking"....I had this feeling of needing to consume ALL of it or else (all food)...now learning about moderation and real portions at 35 yrs old....it's all new to me. So, thank you for posting this for a reminder.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    One should not abuse the deliciousness of cheesecake by turning it into some low-calorie disaster. I bought a lovely cheesecake when I hosted my bookclub. There was a lot left over, which I froze in individual containers. I thaw one out every now and again and enjoy every bite. The self-control comes from only thawing out one piece at a time and being committed to not going over my calories.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    This^^^^^^^^^^is what I do too, if I have a freezable dessert, and one piece at a time on an excercise day. The goodness just goes on and on... B)