Bulking and getting 6-pack??

Options
anyone have any tips on getting sufficient calorie intake for muscle growth while shedding this super stubborn thin layer of pad that's covering my abs. I'm real skinny but can't seem to shed that later of fat. Especially while trying to bulk.........!?!?!?

Replies

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Not sure if troll or haven't done any of your own research yet. Read the sticky and come back. You can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's not how it works. You either bulk or you get shredded. Can't do them at the same time unless you use PED's.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    100% impossible as you are going to gain fat when bulking. Now, when you cut after your bulk you can cut to a body fat % that shows said abs....
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    strong post is strong
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you are low BF then you just need to build up the ab muscles to see them more clearly but if you are skinny fat then bulk first to about 15% or so then cut for them to show up. I'm doing a clean bulk and my abs are still clearly visible (profile pic is a few days old) after gaining almost 10 pounds (fluxuating between 6-9 pounds right now) but I had them before I started.

Build first is my advice for you then worry about cutting. If you do the bulk and cut right your abs will be there when you finish your cut.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Recomp.... eat at maintenance, lift heavy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Recomp is the only way, but it takes a long time to see results but you will if your diet is on point.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    If you are low BF then you just need to build up the ab muscles to see them more clearly but if you are skinny fat then bulk first to about 15% or so then cut for them to show up. I'm doing a clean bulk and my abs are still clearly visible (profile pic is a few days old) after gaining almost 10 pounds (fluxuating between 6-9 pounds right now) but I had them before I started.

Build first is my advice for you then worry about cutting. If you do the bulk and cut right your abs will be there when you finish your cut.

This is what I was a little worried about. I understand I'll gain some fat, but I've worked hard on my body and it would be a little discouraging to lose definition. Even though I know I can cut later. So far, so good for me. I've gained only about 2-3 pounds so far over the last month and my pic is from a few days ago as well. Good to know it's possible to retain some definition.

It's always possible, it depends on how slow you want to bulk and your willingness to allow for softening. You can do fast cycles of bulking and recomp/cut if you are dead set against losing your abs or you can just do a long slow bulk then cut or recomp at the end.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    It's always possible, it depends on how slow you want to bulk and your willingness to allow for softening.

It also depends A LOT on your genetics, and where you store most of your fat. Some people have clearly defined abs at 15-20% BF. Some people (me, unfortunately) have to be <10%.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    It's always possible, it depends on how slow you want to bulk and your willingness to allow for softening.

It also depends A LOT on your genetics, and where you store most of your fat. Some people have clearly defined abs at 15-20% BF. Some people (me, unfortunately) have to be <10%.

Who has clearly defined abs at 20%?

• ndj1979
    Options

yes,who?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

yes,who?

iBygXds.jpg

This guy right here*

Not even implants*
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

yes,who?

iBygXds.jpg

This guy right here*

Not even implants*

No looks more like a photoshop or site enhancement tbh. Those abs don't look correct.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    kwwPr.png
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Not gonna happen....unless you get on some gear.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The guy above with the red hair in the pic did have implants, he is/was some Australian PR agency guy who tried to 'muscle' in on the reality TV shows about 10 years ago. An idiot, basically!
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes,who?

iBygXds.jpg

This guy right here*

Not even implants*

can't be serious...