To Barefoot or not to Barefoot - that is the question

smkey
smkey Posts: 121 Member
edited 3:56PM in Fitness and Exercise
So I've just started running... well, jogging. I don't love it. Heck, I barely like it - but what can I say - it's great cardio. I need to pick up new running shoes for the treadmill, some outdoor running and a couple of 5k races. I'm debating on the barefoot idea and am confused on shoes. And by barefoot I mean the Vibram-type gloves or the like shoes.
Does anyone have any thoughts, preferences or words of advise?
Sandi

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    yikes..i wouldnt want to run outside without shoes..there are rocks, glass and sharp metal.

i dont know..to me it all seems like hype.. its the natural way, its not..blah blah...whatever.

we've been wearing shoes for how many millenia now? seems to me our bodies are adapted to wearing shoes, not barefoot.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Personally, I would say to never run barefoot. especially not on a surface like the treadmill. Without proper arch support you can seriously damage your joints and possibly get shin splints which can put you out of commission with running for a little while. Personally- I think that you can get a really cheap pair of shoes, then go with the dr scholes or other brand of insoles that are built for the type of foot you have to give you the most comfort and the best arch support. Personally, I have the knockoff of the shape ups and I jog in those and love it, but I know they arent for everyone. I think the most important part would be getting the right fit for the type of foot you have:) I know that prolly didnt help very much lol
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    I agree with everyone else, running barefoot will damage your feet and I am sure it does something to your back also.

I went to the sports store and they had me step on a foot plate and it tells you how you stand and where your weight is distributed in your feet. Then they give you the shoes that suit you best. Not sure if they have those stores where you are but they are worth checking out.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    If you really want to go barefoot, buy some barefoot sport shoes. They're like gloves for your feet. Supposedly, you get the same benefits as going barefoot, but your feet are protected.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    I'm a newbie runner too, but have come to love it ever since switching to minimalist shoes (Merrell trail gloves), but am working toward going full barefoot myself. Whenever i tried to take up running before I always gave it up early in the process due to massive knee and hip pain - those problems are TOTALLY nonexistent for me in the minimalist shoes - they've made me focus on my form so much more and eliminated the hard heel-strikes which were sending jarring jolts up through my knees & hips. Of course the flipside is that during the first couple weeks in the flat shoes, my achilles tendons and my calves were constantly on fire while I adapted and strengthened those muscles.
    My efforts to switch to full barefoot were somewhat set back last week when I developed some bad blisters after a short barefoot walk in which I didn't focus on my technique as much - which I guess points out how critical it is if you're going barefoot to have proper form... I definitely feel like it's the right move for me.. hard to say if it's right for YOU, but I'm a fan & would suggest trying it at least. Definitely do some reading though - barefootjosh.com has some great links to other barefoot running sites, and http://therunningbarefoot.com/ has some good technique tips in the "begin here" section - but be forewarned these sites are VERY pro-barefoot, definitely NOT unbiased assessments of the pros and cons of it...
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    I have heard the same things from others - no more back and knee pain - and that's what I'm looking for. But I'm a bit nervous because I had an Achilles tendon rupture almost 10 years ago and sometimes experience that "tightness."
    I've run TRUE barefoot once and it was actually great - and only about a 1/2 mile. But as others have cautioned, the sticks/stones/glass/and-misc.-other-want-to-stick-items prevent me from really trying the extreme....
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Glass/gravel etc are discussed on that 2nd link I posted above - ( http://therunningbarefoot.com/begin-here ) & he's got me convinced that those hazards are a lot less significant than most would have you believe. If you remain aware of your circumstances and the surface upon which you're running, I think you'll be fine - obviously with the caveat that you have start out slow/short.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Another vote for minimal/barefoot here. Just make sure you ease into it. Go look at the faqs in the runnersworld barefoot forum.
  • kar74
    kar74 Posts: 49
    I just started jogging a couple of years ago. I recently bought the Merrell Trail Gloves, too, and love them! Of course, I bought them right before a 5K and a 10K so I didn't have enough time to ease into them to where I'd feel comfortable wearing them for the runs. I love that I don't feel like I have weights strapped onto my feet. I feel, I don't know, "free" in my Merrells. It's definitely a different way of running. I've watched endless videos on proper form and such and between the videos and personal experience, I see absolutely nothing wrong with barefoot/minimalist running. :)
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    @xray...Well, we haven't been wearing shoes for millennia...our grandparents (and some of our parents) only wore shoes in polite company. Ask them...they often carried their shoes to get where they were going. And they didn't have no fancy ergonomic 100 Reebok shoes...their shoes hurt, so they took them off whenever possible. So no. We haven't evolved to wear shoes, unless you think evolution takes 50 years.

That being said. I wear shoes all the time. Because I want to. I grew up wearing shoes and am accustomed to it. I don't care to get accustomed to barefoot anything. :wink:

So...to barefoot or not? I think it depends on whether you feel like getting into it or not. Because it is "a thing" and you'd have to get into it...no dabbling allowed. Its one of those things where you have to chose a side and stick with it. I agree with the folks who advise visiting some barefoot running sites, We tend to be mainstream folks around here and are going to err on the mainstream side. Folks who actually barefoot run would be able to give you practical advice about things like stones and broken glass.

Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Some interesting opinions here, many not very fact based.

My advice, is do some more research on it at some of the better barefoot sites. What I have found is that most people to bad mouth "barefooting" are those who have never tried it.

The biggest pitfall to avoid is doing too much too soon. You have to ease into in, some people take to it more than others. I also feel that what you "learn" during your barefoot runs can be applied when you wear regular for your runs.
    It is certainly not an either-or situation, especially if you already have any cardio base established. Your lungs will be far ahead of your legs.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    If you get the book Barefoot Running - or www.runbare.com most of you questions would be answered from a barefoot runner perspective.

I run short runs barefoot, mainly, I hate shoes and long story short, just fit me better. I have trouble with fatigue once I get in that 7-10 mile range and use a Nike Free then (it's a happy medium between barefoot and shoes). I'm pleased with both My barefoot shoes are a Terra Planna, the vibrams just didn't work in the area I live with so many goat head/puncture vines in the area.

They say when getting started - 1 barefoot miles = 3 shod miles. So you need to break in slowly, which I through I did and was still sore. I do all my homeworkouts barefoot from P90X to Insanity. I just simply hate shoes.

The barefoot running book talks about how to get your feet ready for barefoot, its not something you just "do".
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Can you afford to buy a good pair of running shoes, and a pair of the vibrams (or similar)?

If you have a specialty running store in your area, they will likely be able to set you up with a pair of shoes that fit your needs the best (our local running store has a treadmill with a camera on the feet so they can slow-motion look at how your running strike is, if you pronate, supinate etc and then put you in the correct support of shoes)

then also get the gloves and try those and see which suit you better... I'm not a barefoot run expert by any means, but I don't think it has to be all-or-nothing, does it? can you switch barefoot(nearly) with shoed running days?

I run a 8.75mi run each january that ends the last 2 miles or so on the beach after crossing a small stream. Everyone wears their shoes until the stream, takes them off and carries them across, then dumps them in a bucket for someone to drive to the finish and runs the rest of the race barefoot. Yes, it's on sand, but I run on the packed/wet sand and never have a problem with anything hurting afterward.

I also did a 3.5K race (strange distance) through a park barefoot last fall, just for the heck of it. it was on grass and over a packed-dirt trail covered with leaves. it was exhillerating to run barefoot (Except for the30foot span of gravel parking lot I had to cross about a 100 yards before the finish.. youch!)

I also own a pair of "racing flats". basically tennis shoes but very light weight, not a lot of support, and made just for when I run races. I really enjoy running in them because of how light they are, I feel like I can go faster and farther because I dont' have weights strapped to my feet... so for that reason, you may also like the vibrams approach.

good luck with whatever you choose..the most important thing is to get out there and do it!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    bump... I have started towards barefoot and will follow this discussion with interest.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    I run in vibram 5 fingers and have since November. I love them! If you want to try these shoes go really slowly. It really does take time for your feet and your body to get used to them. It works different muscles than other shoes. My calves and inner thighs really felt it at first and my feet when i would first get out of bed. Start off just wearing them around the house and then just a mile at a time til you get used to them.
    Before vibrams i had so many problems with shoes rubbing and toes getting scrunched together (i have bunions) and laces coming undone. I run in these exclusively even in the winter. they do make toe socks for them. the only time i ever wear regular shoes is when its really icy and i want to wear spikes.
    I just ran my first half marathon this month wearing these shoes so they can go the distance.

The shoes are a great conversation piece too. The only thing i don't like about them is once you have one pair you'll want more in other colors :)
  • i vote barefoot! switch over slowly and enjoy it!
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    I've only heard great things from the people I know who wear the Vibrams. The only negatives/injuries I hear about are from people who go too far too fast right out of the gate with them.
    But with a history of achilles trouble, you probably should talk to a sports medicine doc or physical therapist for guidance on how to start transitioning over. You don't want to mess with that.
    You might also look to see if there are any running clinics in your town that teach proper form - particularly for the barefoot/Vibram.

Good luck!!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    If you get the book Barefoot Running - or www.runbare.com most of you questions would be answered from a barefoot runner perspective.

I run short runs barefoot, mainly, I hate shoes and long story short, just fit me better. I have trouble with fatigue once I get in that 7-10 mile range and use a Nike Free then (it's a happy medium between barefoot and shoes). I'm pleased with both My barefoot shoes are a Terra Planna, the vibrams just didn't work in the area I live with so many goat head/puncture vines in the area.

They say when getting started - 1 barefoot miles = 3 shod miles. So you need to break in slowly, which I through I did and was still sore. I do all my homeworkouts barefoot from P90X to Insanity. I just simply hate shoes.

The barefoot running book talks about how to get your feet ready for barefoot, its not something you just "do".

I also recommend this book. When I started barefoot running, I was in motion control shoes and was running about 25miles/week. I went down to racing flat and worked my feet up slowly to gain foot strength. When I started completely barefoot, I didn't wear shoes at all. This is recommended because your skin is more sensitive than your tendons and it prevents over doing it. It took a lot of playing around with different shoes (REI is the best because you can take things back no matter how many miles) until I found what worked for me. Then winter came and I switched it up again.

If you want to do completely barefoot or not is up to you. However, make sure it is an informed decision and that you build it up the strength appropriately. I do everything in FiveFingers but after a year of wearing them, I still have times where my feet get tired. Being aware of your body is what running is all about.

Another good book is ChiRunning. It is a great book on form and injury free running.

Good Luck and have fun.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    So I've just started running... well, jogging. I don't love it. Heck, I barely like it - but what can I say - it's great cardio. I need to pick up new running shoes for the treadmill, some outdoor running and a couple of 5k races. I'm debating on the barefoot idea and am confused on shoes. And by barefoot I mean the Vibram-type gloves or the like shoes.
    Does anyone have any thoughts, preferences or words of advise?
    Sandi

Sandi,

I weighed over 352 lbs, hadn't walked in over 3 years when I first heard of VFFs. I thought that they were only for folks who loved running and were skinny. I was seeing a Z-Health coach who fixed my foot walking/running form imbalances so that I no longer get plantar fasciitis or achilles injuries. I was lifting Kettlebells barefoot and learning to walk from scratch. I kept seeing YouTube videos with people wearing the VFFs who were training with KBs. I was wary because of my size and although I had shed over 50 lbs, I still feared injury.

I read up on minimalist running and the science behind my personal medical challenges. Then I made a leap of faith. Right into those funny foot gloves. That was 16 months, two pairs of VFFs and over 40 lbs ago. Been *pain and injury free* since the shift. I still rehabilitate my body with Z-Health. I still train with now slightly larger KBs. I tried to use my brand new but abandoned high quality running shoes when I was waiting on a new pair of VFFs to arrive and even though I only wore them to mall walk, I had blisters, pain in my hips/knees/back/etc. Not again.

I now own 2 pair: men's KSO Treks and Women's Jaya LRs. Fit is very important. Breaking your feet in to healthy ergonomic motions, maybe for the first time in your life, takes time. IMO, so-oooo worth it!!!
This discussion has been closed.