Fast food help?

Options
lovinmamaxo
lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
Tonight for dinner i am having chicken and broccoli chinese food with white rice. Does anyone know what the avg calorie count is as well as sodium. Usually i eat the whole thing and add duck sauce so i want to treat myself but not go overboard. This is a local chinese restaurant so i am not sure if there is nutritional info. So if you were to guess how much would i be safe with for white rice and the chicken & broccoli combo? Also sodium and duck sauce i am worried about as well.

Replies

• Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm not sure, but are you getting steamed chicken and broccoli?
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    The chicken and broccolli actually does have a thing if you search for it. I just use that, though it may very well be underestimating. Chinese food is so HARD to find counts for. Also, for added nutritional value, you should ask for brown rice - but if you want to treat yourself or whatever that's fine :) You can just count it as a cup of white rice if you have a cup. The Chinese food rice can't be so different.

I'd just assume the sodium is really bad and go on with your life. Cut sodium corners elsewhere in your day as much as you can and try to get some extra potassium.
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    I'm not sure, but are you getting steamed chicken and broccoli?

I don't even know it just says chicken w/brocolli
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Remember that a lot of Chinese places use a lot of unnesscary ingredients that they don't put in their menu like how much oil is in everything. If I was you, I would not get white rice at all or eat brown rice. When I diet I also don't use condiments because they are not needed, If you need to cover up a taste, then more than likely you don't need to eat it to begin with. Like Erica said, try to see if the broccoli is steamed. Just in General, when in doubt, ask the people who work there what they have in everything.
  • veganhoneys
    veganhoneys Posts: 34
    Options
    half a cup! the answer is always half a cup! and with sauce the answer is always 2 tbsp. Break out the measuring cups and google half a cup brocolli, rice, etc. for close guestimates
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    Yeah it's hard i love it and haven't had it in awhile but they coat the brocolli and chicken in a sauce and i am not sure how much calories are in it.. i worry about it because i don't want to be over either.There is something like this in the database but i don't know how accurate it is just yet.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I say get some steamed veggies instead of the white rice, if thats an option
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The chicken and broccolli actually does have a thing if you search for it. I just use that, though it may very well be underestimating. Chinese food is so HARD to find counts for.

I'd just assume the sodium is really bad and go on with your life. Cut sodium corners elsewhere in your day as much as you can and try to get some extra potassium.

I agee!
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't think they would have brown rice. I am Chinese, and we always always eat white rice, it's a habit. As for the chicken and broccoli, it would be stir fried, I don't think it would be steamed.
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    I called the chinese place interesting they don't have nutritional info except to say the chicken is sauteed? lol
  • romiga
    romiga Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food but I save it for my cheat day because it's terrible calorie wise. Unless it specifically says steamed, it's not gonna end well. Most menus now have a healthy section so you can choose from that one if you don't want the extra cals. Just remember that those will be kinda high in sodium unless it says low sodium or you ask dor no salt. Sorry, that this doesn't sound more encouraging. Just trying to be real.