Which fitness watch should I buy??

Options
Hi

I'm looking to buy a fitness watch, mostly to count my calories when exercising but there are so many out there. Any advice on which one is the best and most accurate? Not looking to spend more than £100.

Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Go onto www.fitbit.com . There are so many options in your price range and people generally love them. They count your steps, some tell you how many calories you've burned and much more. I personally have the Fitbit Surge and I love it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR, but all Fitbits calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, aka your maintenance calories) and sync with MFP.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have worn the Fitbit Flex for more than a year and have found it to be pretty accurate. It also works with my company's health program in which I earn money for steps - woohoo! If I could, I would seriously look into the Misfit Shine because it does the same things as the older Fitbits (does not have an HRM...) I think the Misfit Shine is really pretty and they have a lower-priced option than any of the others, but I cannot recall the name of it. If you search for Misfit, you will find it.
  • emmaupton1980
    emmaupton1980 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have read reviews online about the fitbit watch but they are not very good but looking at what your saying and looking at the user groups for it, it's making me think I should go for one. :)

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Thanks. I have read reviews online about the fitbit watch but they are not very good but looking at what your saying and looking at the user groups for it, it's making me think I should go for one.

Keep your receipt, and return it if you don't like it.
  • emmaupton1980
    emmaupton1980 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I do a lot of fitness classes so I was going to use it for that to see how many calories I burn and to push me to work harder in them etc
  • brianpperkins
    Options

I do a lot of fitness classes so I was going to use it for that to see how many calories I burn and to push me to work harder in them etc

HRMs aren't accurate for most classes because they are programmed and designed around a narrow range of steady state activities (running, cycling, rowing at relatively constant speeds without rapid changes). The step aspect of most activity trackers will track movement levels. None of them counts calories. They only estimate burn using a formula that may or may not match what you do.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I lost the weight and have maintained for ten months—meaning my Fitbit is 100% accurate.

Plus, it's great motivation. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block. I do the maximum number of Fitbit challenges every day with my friends.

Using a Fitbit for a couple of weeks is a great way to get a realistic idea of one's TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). And if you find you just don't like Fitbit, return it. (When I upgraded from a Flex to Charge HR, I started lending my Flex out to my friends.)
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I lost the weight and have maintained for ten months—meaning my Fitbit is 100% accurate.

Plus, it's great motivation. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block. I do the maximum number of Fitbit challenges every day with my friends.

Using a Fitbit for a couple of weeks is a great way to get a realistic idea of one's TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). And if you find you just don't like Fitbit, return it. (When I upgraded from a Flex to Charge HR, I started lending my Flex out to my friends.)

When were you hooked up to carts to measure your output while having your input calculated to ensure what you log is actually accurate? Unless you've done that, what your Fitbit numbers show is correlation ... nothing more.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend any of them. I've had a fitbit and a jawbone and both are only good for tracking steps. Their HRMs aren't particularly accurate and in the jawbone's case, I had to have it replaced three times due to defective issues. Additionally, the Apple watch is not waterproof, so in my opinion, for $400 - $700, it's a waste of money - wait for the next release.

I've finally settled on using my iPhone's motion detector, which syncs with MFP for tracking steps and using my Polar FT7 with a chest strap for my workouts. I use it in the water and on land.

The technology on these trackers is still in beta.