How do not let nights out effect your diet?

Options
I'm meant to be going for a night out on Friday with my girls. I've been good so far sticking to my low calorie diet but just wondered if anyone had any tips on alcoholic drinks I could have that would have as little impact on my diet as possible?

I've been recommended vodka lime and soda but don't want it to put all my hard work to waste!

Thank you in advance

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Calories, calories, calories. Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram; fat is 9 calories per gram. Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. Best way is to avoid the alcohol. I suppose if you MUST drink, then straight drinks are probably a little better, since they wouldn't have sugar in addition to the alcohol.

Can you stick with diet soda???

Just make sure you log it. And, as with your eating, try to drink in moderation.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Shots, shots, shots!
  • AnnaMakepeace106
    AnnaMakepeace106 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, think that's what it might come to Randomtai! And thanks Dave, I'll try that!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,532 Member
    Options
    It's still about CICO, but having alcohol before you go to sleep impacts how much body fat you burn during that sleep time. So you make a choice: drink because everyone else is, or don't drink and still enjoy time with your friends. Personally I take the approach of being the DD of the group.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My honest answer: don't have many nights out, and enjoy the ones you do have.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OP, what kind of drinks do you like? why can't you have those?

Jruzer wrote: »

yeah, this.

my tip is to make sure you've eaten before hand so that you're not drinking on an empty stomach, and so that you aren't tempted to do drunk food binging.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I try avoid drinking but if it's a friends birthday or such:

I lower my carbs on the day, sometimes also the day before and day after.

By having less food I have more calories to fit alcohol in plus it takes less to get drunk.

As said above, shots or diet drinks are usually best!
  • AnnaMakepeace106
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys, think I'm going to stick to a few vodka and diet soda waters.
  • AnnaMakepeace106
    edited May 2015
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    I try avoid drinking but if it's a friends birthday or such:

I lower my carbs on the day, sometimes also the day before and day after.

By having less food I have more calories to fit alcohol in plus it takes less to get drunk.

As said above, shots or diet drinks are usually best!

fab I'll do that! Thank you!
  • AnnaMakepeace106
    Options
    Ha drink food binging is defos something to consider! Hopefully I'll have enough willpower to resist. Thank you
    OP, what kind of drinks do you like? why can't you have those?

yeah, this.

my tip is to make sure you've eaten before hand so that you're not drinking on an empty stomach, and so that you aren't tempted to do drunk food binging.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

This.

I tend to DD so that I can go out but not consume the cals. But when I do go out and drink, I tend to only have maybe two beers (I'm a bit of a light weight). If I'm going to do something like camping or a wedding where I know I'm probably going to legitimately drink, I aim for maintenance. You won't actually gain anything unless you go over your TDEE.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I went out for drinks with some friends last night. I had 3 drinks with liquor and a diet mixer. I had a good time and only spent about 200 calories. I also did an hour of cardio, skipped the bar tacos, and made sure I went to bed without munching on anything. :)
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My go to drinks are Jack and Diet Coke or gin and tonic with a lemon and a lime. Have fun!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive been drinking way more than i usually do but also eating far fewer calories too (very stressful time right now) so... im still doing good with calories and weight loss LOL

in general, i would plan for it - whether its cutting back a few calories each day during the week, or whatever works for you- plan for the calories and youll stay on track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

pretty much this.

to think there won't be any impact when you're trying to cut is probably not realistic. you can mitigate the "damage" by not having frequent nights out...but still, even on my best day there was no way I wasn't going to be over on my calorie targets for a good night out.

When I was cutting I didn't drink during the week...I usually went to town on Friday and Saturday though. I lost all my weight, but it was also probably a bit slower than it otherwise could have been...but I also like a good party.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I often go out several times a week.

Dancing a lot and just drinking water is my strategy.

If I have alcohol, I have ONE drink, generally something with tequila (no carbs.)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Make sure it fits into your calories. I always try to workout hard the day before I know I'm going to go out drinking so that those burned calories can be my drinking calories.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

If I have alcohol, I have ONE drink, generally something with tequila (no carbs.)

Why can I not get John Anderson's "Straight Tequila Night" out of my head now???
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

Why can I not get John Anderson's "Straight Tequila Night" out of my head now???

Gah....I was definitely NOT thinking about country music. Twangy music makes me want to flee in terror. :)