Personal trainers: yay or nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• Zowiesb
    Zowiesb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps! This has been really helpful and given some great tips which I will be keeping in mind and using. The lady I approached was nice enough to do a free taster session. She checked my heart rate the whole way through and if it got too high she made me take a break. I liked her style of encouragement and choice of exercises and she talks about nutrition as well which I think will be a great help. :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think all of this advice is right on. A trainer can be a big help. A trainer can push you harder than you otherwise might train. But some are good. Some are not so good. You might have a rapport with one and not another. So I would say: Shop around. Try two. Maybe three. That will give you some perspective on what you want and whether you are working well with someone.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    As long ad it's the right trainer, then go for it.
    There's many that aren't nearly as qualified as they should be. I've had a few idiots for sure. But once you find the right person, it might be really helpful.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a personal trainer, so I'm in favor of us. lol But there are a lot of not so great ones and there are a lot more men than women, which is not always good for us.

My recommendation is not to rely on a PT for nutrition - it is outside of our scope of practice, even with nutrition training. Go to a licensed dietician for that.

A reputable PT may not give you a full free session, but should give you an assessment, which usually takes about a half hour. And, yes, you pay for what you get.

I've used a personal trainer myself on two occasions. Once for six months about three years ago through a big box gym when I started with MPP. I was highly motivated and saw her once a month. And this year for a refresher, once a week for six weeks, with an independent PT who came to my apartment building which has a small gym. Both were great for what I needed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Obviously I feel worth it if people spend the money for help that they need and don't want to put a lot of research or thought into. Many just want their programs designed and then implemented. Also lots of times, many people hire trainers because they know that they won't train themselves as hard as a trainer would. A mental block? Possibly, but kinda like a drill sergeant in boot camp, when the trainer gets you doing things you probably wouldn't do on your own, you'll do them because that's what you paid for.
    A good trainer will help people get results. Results happen with the correct inspiration, direction and cooperation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a great personal trainer that I see 2-3 times a week. It's about $50 for a 45 - minute session, which is really pricey but I think it's a great investment especially if you have no idea what you're doing or just need an extra set of motivation. The money is biggie, I agree! But the way I see it is that I'm investing in my health. Having that extra motivation is awesome too. I have a mindset where I don't want to fail him, because he works really hard right along side me during our sessions and he's told me that he's going to feel like a failure if he can't help me shed the weight. I want to make him proud! I enjoy working out with him and look forward to our sessions!

I've had 2 other trainers before settling on him and they did not seem as dedicated as him. My trainer is awesome and I wouldn't trade him for any other trainer! I say go for it! If money is a biggie, budget your finances and you'll be able to to afford it. I cut back on going out to eat 3-4 times a week, seeing a movie every other week and buying things that I really don't need. Good luck!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    think you have to kiss a lot of frogs -
  • f14abc
    f14abc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Zowiesb wrote: »
    ive decided to get a personal trainer because I have no clues when it comes to adequate exercises and trying to learn about it online and from magazines just confused me. Sadly this isn't a cheap decision which I don't mind so long as it works. Has anyone used personal trainers or have one? Personal experiences? Did you find it helped having support and knowledge from someone being paid to help?

• dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it, especially if you are just starting out in the gym. A good trainer will design an exercise program to help you meet your goals, tell you why you are doing certain exercises, demonstrate proper form, encourage you, and make working out fun. A bad one does little of that, and spends his time trying to upsell you on expensive supplements that he is compensated to sell. You get what you pay for.

For me, having a training appointment twice a week accomplishes the most important part of my workout goals: getting my *kitten* out of bed at 6:30am in the morning when driving to the gym is the last thing I want to do. :)

All that being said, please realize that while a trainer can provide expert help, they can't make you lift those weights, run that mile, and they certainly can't prevent you from stuffing that donut in your pie-hole. Between working out and eating properly, the latter is far more important to overall weight loss and health. All of the usual disclaimers apply here: You can't outrun a bad diet, Abs are made in the kitchen, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Zowiesb wrote: »
    The lady I approached was nice enough to do a free taster session. She checked my heart rate the whole way through and if it got too high she made me take a break. I liked her style of encouragement and choice of exercises and she talks about nutrition as well which I think will be a great help. :)

Exercise heart rates vary too much to be of use in that way. There is no "too high" of a heart rate unless either a doctor tells you, or you personally feel it is too high.

Which certification(s) does she have?

Does she have any nutrition credentials?
  • kdt000
    kdt000 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy it. I meet with a trainer 2 days a week. I've done so since I joined my gym in December 2014. I've had 4 different trainers (there's a little bit of an excessive turnover) but each one has taught me a new approach or gave me new ideas. One was a bit more of a crossfit style, one was more focused on heavy lifting, one on circuit training, and my current one is a mix of all aspects. I have workouts from each of them that I can kind of mix and match to make up my own. I find that I can do stuff that is out of my comfort zone while they're there to show and help me. If I didn't have a trainer, I'd probably just be someone who got on an elliptical for half an hour and went home. Also, I know for sure that I will get two days a week in at the gym because I schedule a week ahead of time. That accountability is one of my favorite parts. It is expensive, but to me, it's a good investment because I get good results and build up my confidence to do stuff on my own. Just my two cents.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I just hired a personal trainer because I wanted to start lifting- seriously the best decision I've made. Yes, it's expensive, but for me, there is no way I could have properly started doing this, learned technique, or felt comfortable without him. Plus he texts me and tags me in motivational posts on instagram- he's the best!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer from 24 hour fitness from Late October to March this year. I learned a lot of routines and information from her and feel much more confident in the gym especially when doing free weights. If I could do it again I would in a heartbeat even though it was really expensive.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    unless you are trying to compete i don't see a point.
    There are lots of people who try to learn through videos only and find out later on that their form was way off. Why? Because many times they don't know how to evaluate good form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png