cheat

Options
i had a milkshake today.. then I went home and had some popcorn.. and I've been eating really clean for four weeks other than that but will this make me gain weight?

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Did you go over your calories?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" doesn't make you lose weight. Eating fewer calories than you burn makes you lose weight.

Go ahead, enjoy your milkshakes, your popcorn, whatever else you like. As long as it fits your calories, there's no problem.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eating too many calories makes you gain weight - doesn't matter if those calories are from carrots or milkshakes.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If your diary is complete, you've only been eating around 1000 calories and netting about 600. And you only have about 8 lbs to get to goal... I think you're ok on eating the popcorn and shake. I think you should be worrying on how little you're eating instead. Why are you eating so little in the first place? :huh:
  • sunnydays851
    sunnydays851 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    One day won't make you gain weight unless you eat 3500 cals over maintenance. And popcorn is actually not a bad snack. One milkshake won't kill you.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    i had a milkshake today.. then I went home and had some popcorn.. and I've been eating really clean for four weeks other than that but will this make me gain weight?

You might have gone over your maintenance level calories for the day, and if you've been close to your deficit target the rest of the week, you'll still have a net deficit over the whole time. You'll probably see a small bump (as much from water retention as actual gain), but if you go back to your plan, it will be temporary.

Enjoy the milkshake and don't equate it to a moral failing.
  • segacs
    Options
    If your diary is complete, you've only been eating around 1000 calories and netting about 600. And you only have about 8 lbs to get to goal... I think you're ok on eating the popcorn and shake. I think you should be worrying on how little you're eating instead. Why are you eating so little in the first place? :huh:

^ This.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - I recall now. You're under eating as it is - the milkshake and popcorn probably did you some good.
  • mtringali13
    mtringali13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    should i be eating more? honestly I am just trying to get in shape for summer and i know i'm not fat, but i could tone up and lose a bit of belly fat...
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

^ This.

Maybe it's a cry for help. Or do they actually think one milkshake will make them gain weight if they have been under eating by that much.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    should i be eating more? honestly I am just trying to get in shape for summer and i know i'm not fat, but i could tone up and lose a bit of belly fat...

Start lifting weights. That will help you much, much more than severely restricting your calories.

~Lyssa
  • segacs
    Options
    Yeah, you probably don't need to be dieting, OP.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You should be accurately logging and eating up to the goal MFP gives you. If you're at a healthy weight, why not look into a body recomposition plan instead?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Of course you should be eatinig more!! Just for the sake of looking good for summer, doesn't mean that you have to under-eat... Follow the calorie goal that MFP gives you when you enter a 0.5lb/wk weight loss goal. Or as others have mentioned, do a body recomp instead. If you feel you need to lose weight (even though you already are at a healthy weight, so it's not even really necessary), it's best to do it in a healthy manner, no matter what.
  • mtringali13
    mtringali13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Of course you should be eatinig more!! Just for the sake of looking good for summer, doesn't mean that you have to under-eat... Follow the calorie goal that MFP gives you when you enter a 0.5lb/wk weight loss goal. Or as others have mentioned, do a body recomp instead. If you feel you need to lose weight (even though you already are at a healthy weight, so it's not even really necessary), it's best to do it in a healthy manner, no matter what.
    if you don't mind me asking what's a body recomp?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Falling off the wagon one day does not have an impact on your future goals...

Recomp, in short is eating at a deficit and lifting weights or some sort of exercise program where you lifting weights or do body weights, etc which essentially allows you build minimal muscle but really are maintaining your current muscle mass while in a deficit...

Unless you want to change your body composition, this is not necessary for you to loose the 8 pounds you have left. This takes a lot of time and patience. And to do this right you do not need to eat at a deficit, you need to essentially be eating a maintenance and this is another level above just loosing weight.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Falling off the wagon one day does not have an impact on your future goals...

Recomp, in short is eating at a deficit and lifting weights or some sort of exercise program where you lifting weights or do body weights, etc which essentially allows you build minimal muscle but really are maintaining your current muscle mass while in a deficit...

Unless you want to change your body composition, this is not necessary for you to loose the 8 pounds you have left. This takes a lot of time and patience. And to do this right you do not need to eat at a deficit, you need to essentially be eating a maintenance and this is another level above just loosing weight.

From what I have read the op is already at a healthy weight, wants to get her body ready for the beach. I would think lifting weights/strength training while eating at maintenance of the smallest deficit would be best.

But really either way isn't summer like just around the corner for you guys? Not much time to lose much weight or tone up is there?