Calorie Deficit?

Options
I'm confused a little. MFP tells me that I have to have a X amount calorie deficit per day to achieve my goal.
1.) What is a calorie deficit?
2.) Is it already figured for me on MFP?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1. Eating less than you burn
    2. Yes, it's already taken 250-1000 calories off depending on the loss per week you chose (and not dropping below 1200)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is created when the amount of calories you take in, is less than the total calories you use. Yes, MFP already has it built in.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    lets say your body can maintain its weight at 2000 calories... if you only ate 1500 calories a day that would be a 500 per day calorie deficit... supposedly 3500 calories is a pound so at that rate you'd loose a pound every 7 days... so the lower the calories you take in the more weight you will loose... however it is not recommended to go below 1200 per day because your body needs calories and nutrients to sustain energy and muscles. and to answer you 2nd question MFP figures it for you when you input you age/weight/and physical activity level... it's all pretty simple do what the program tells you and you will reach your goals. good luck to you
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    lets say your body can maintain its weight at 2000 calories... if you only ate 1500 calories a day that would be a 500 per day calorie deficit... supposedly 3500 calories is a pound so at that rate you'd loose a pound every 7 days... so the lower the calories you take in the more weight you will loose... however it is not recommended to go below 1200 per day because your body needs calories and nutrients to sustain energy and muscles. and to answer you 2nd question MFP figures it for you when you input you age/weight/and physical activity level... it's all pretty simple do what the program tells you and you will reach your goals. good luck to you

Great explanation!
  • SWhitlock69
    SWhitlock69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification!