All I Want...

Options
All I want is a big hamburger and a giant tub of fries with dipping sauce and a giant ice cream sundae. And I want to eat them all at once! I've been sooo good so far, so I'm trying to push past the urge but now all I want to do is complain that I can't ever realistically fit that into my day and still lose weight.

Ack! Tell me. How do you get past the cravings? Are you a wait it out type of person or an it's okay to overindulge occasionally person? I'm really trying to decide what I want to do here.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Can you make a lean burger and cut some potatoes for baked fries?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I allow myself small amount of all the foods I enjoy and include them in my calorie budget. As a result, I almost never have 'cravings' 'cause I'm eating plenty of food to feel satisfied.

Is it possible you've been trying to be too "good" that you're not allowing yourself some balance? Hamburgers, fries and ice cream sundaes can all fit into your day on occasion, if you plan for them.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I always have a day (that I still log) but I go a little over. Maybe instead of having all those things maybe pick the one you want the most or, portion out a smaller version of what you want. After all, I think it's beneficial to try to incorporate things you love into your life. It'll make it so much easier after you've reached your goal to maintain it if you find new habits and still are able to squeeze in some fun things or days.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me, I'm having a Boca burger and 2 servings of tater tots for dinner tonight! If you want something, plan for it and make it fit your day. I don't do well with deprivation, and I eat what I like. ;)
  • bewarethedog
    bewarethedog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I definitely haven't been depriving myself. :) I eat a lot of stuff still that I love and used to eat before I was really dieting. I always fit it into my goals and I make a lot of "healthy" alternatives, too. I wouldn't have come this far otherwise!!

But every now and then I just want to pig out on all of them at once. The real thing, too. Just a big fatty meal. Haha.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I decided that life wasn't worth living without cheeseburgers and chicken nachos. So I lose at a slower rate, but I'm happy.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I definitely haven't been depriving myself. :) I eat a lot of stuff still that I love and used to eat before I was really dieting. I always fit it into my goals and I make a lot of "healthy" alternatives, too. I wouldn't have come this far otherwise!!

But every now and then I just want to pig out on all of them at once. The real thing, too. Just a big fatty meal. Haha.

Then just have them. I have monthly date nights with the husband, where I just say *kitten* it, log 2000kcal and eat whatever I want. I find it makes turning down lesser treats easier. Sure 800kcal of ice cream looks nice, but it pales to the zeppolli I had last week!
  • segacs
    Options

Yeah, I hear ya. But I disagree with the other poster who says to just do it.

I think that a lot of times, what we crave at times like that isn't the food itself, but that feeling of stuffing our faces. Often it's related to emotional eating -- we associate food with comfort, with celebration, with other emotions.

Try replacing that with some other ritual when you feel that way. Maybe exercise if that's your thing -- go for a run, do yoga, whatever, or watch a really cheesy movie, or call a friend and laugh for a while, or, really, it could be anything. We're all different. But find something that makes you feel that warm and fuzzy glow instead of food.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There are days when I really want the Scoopie meal from Culvers, which clocks in thusly:

- ButterBurger with Cheese, 460 cal
    - Small Fry - 240 cal
    - Root beer - 220 cal (which I've switched for the diet as they taste identical...so now 0)
    - Single scoop in a dish flavor of the day custard - minimum 300 cal

So in one meal that's 1220 calories (or 1000 if I go for the diet soda) and that's my allotment for the day before exercise LOL.

How I handle that intense craving for a particular food is to wait it out for a day. If 24 hours go by and I still want it, I'll ask myself "Okay, do you really want all of it or is just some ok?"

Some days I'll just go for the burger and soda and be done. Others I do what @crazyjerseygirl does and say **** it and go for it all.

It might help to look at your calories over a week and save some up so you can go over. That's what I end up doing and it helps a lot - looking at my weekly average and seeing I'm under despite being over a couple days makes me feel better.

~Lyssa
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My usual strategy is this:
    - I ask myself if I really want it
    - If the answer is yes I ask myself if I have calories or can make calories that day
    - If the answer is no I ask myself if I could wait a week to save enough calories for it
    - If the answer is no I ask myself I if it will be within my maintenance calories
    - If it would exceed my maintenance and I still really want it I have it
    - I make up for it by exercising an extra 15 minutes or eating slightly less calories for a week, or by having a fast day afterwards
    - If I can't make up for it (or can't be bothered) I call it a day. One day over will not undo 2 years of work.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    All I want is a big hamburger and a giant tub of fries with dipping sauce and a giant ice cream sundae. And I want to eat them all at once! I've been sooo good so far, so I'm trying to push past the urge but now all I want to do is complain that I can't ever realistically fit that into my day and still lose weight.

Ack! Tell me. How do you get past the cravings? Are you a wait it out type of person or an it's okay to overindulge occasionally person? I'm really trying to decide what I want to do here.

From what I hear from some people it makes me start to think I have rock hard will power.

Or maybe it's because I don't deny myself "bad" foods and just fit them into my week in moderation.

Have a burger and chips and sundae if you must, just have a normal size burger not the deluxe one with the meat of four different animals included.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Any chance the craving could be due to where you are in your menstrual cycle? I find at certain points in my cycle that I'm much hungrier than is rational. I also find that if I've been lower on carbs for a few days that it leads to wanting to eat all the things.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I usually have one really terrible meal a week, along with dessert. I save up my calories to splurge; it works and I still end up enough under every week to lose weight.
  • bewarethedog
    Options
    I ended up having an extra serving of pretzels tonight and calling it a day. :)

I think a lot of it is emotional and me getting a certain amount of diet fatigue. It's not easy watching the hubby get so many more calories than I do! Plus I know my period is right around te corner. If the urge to stuff my face is still here after that comes and goes, I'll allow myself a day to just blow things calorie wise.

Luckily I'm blessed with iron strong will power. This is really the first time the entire time I've even considered eating something huge.
  • segacs
    Options
    It's not easy watching the hubby get so many more calories than I do!

Yeah, that seems unfair, doesn't it? But look at it this way: He has to eat lots more food (and, therefore, pay lots more money) to feel as full and satisfied as you do on far less. He also has to drink lots more alcohol to get that buzz.

So, really, when you think about it, we're the lucky ones. :)
  • bewarethedog
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    It's not easy watching the hubby get so many more calories than I do!

Yeah, that seems unfair, doesn't it? But look at it this way: He has to eat lots more food (and, therefore, pay lots more money) to feel as full and satisfied as you do on far less. He also has to drink lots more alcohol to get that buzz.

So, really, when you think about it, we're the lucky ones. :)

Haha! Yes. Good points. I'll try to remember those next time I see him chow down on a platter of chicken and fries while I nibble my salad. :smile: