How soon can you expect to "see" progress once you start strength training?

Options
Jmgkamp
Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
I'm meeting with my trainer (yay!) on Thursday. I've lost 33.4 pounds so far, since March 4. Unfortunately I still have approx 60 to go as a 5'2" (optimistic height) 42 yo woman.

I'm well aware that I'm losing muscle along with fat. Fat can go, but I need the muscle. I do cardio every day for at least an hour - I do 2 if I also have a class (Zumba, boxing, etc.).

If I start to do 30 min of weights each day (switching muscle groups for rest and repair purposes), when, what and where will I see first progress?

Replies

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You see it first in strength gains. Each week you may find you can do a few more reps, or increase the amount of weight you use. If you are working with a trainer, he or she will guide you in increasing your reps and/or weight.
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sad that it took me so damn long to start, but happy I didn't give up!
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    You see it first in strength gains. Each week you may find you can do a few more reps, or increase the amount of weight you use. If you are working with a trainer, he or she will guide you in increasing your reps and/or weight.

+1

I would encourage you to keep all the bits of paper your trainer gives you with your weights/reps on so that you can look back in the future and see what you were struggling with 'back then'. I've been at a gym since Feb and I mentioned to my trainer that I didn't feel like I had gone very far, but looking back, I've almost doubled some weights even though I don't feel or look very 'muscle-y'.

Good luck on your journey and don't forget you actually NEED rest days.
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    Great idea! I'll keep track. I wish I'd taken a real before picture, but since I'd never allow myself to be in front if the camera I don't have one. Won't make that mistake with strength training. Wouldn't have even thought of it so thanks!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I think when you're in a deficit, you feel it more than you see it. You're already losing the fat to begin with, but now you're saving more muscle, and it's just a new body...All you can do is imagine yourself at a similar weight, except with not as great of a body composition. Maybe that sounds dumb. Long day.

Anyway, you will feel amazing probably right away.