Need a little lift

Options
I've lost close to 90lbs so far, I stumbled across some old pictures recently, but it just doesn't look like 90lbs is gone to me. I am the lowest weight I've been since my mid-teens, almost 20 years ago. Another 8lbs and I will fall out of the obese category based on BMI.

I look in the mirror and a fat guy is still looking back, another 30lbs at least to go, probably 40.

I lose on average less than 1lb a week, nothing I do increases my weightloss. Whilst I'm happy to carry on eating the way I am for the rest of my life, I'm desperate to get to goal weight and see a slim me, but staring at another year before I see the end of weight loss is depressing. I started in Jan 12, and took a 12 month break to go traveling.

I guess not looking for answers, just a little boost.

Around 300 on the left, 220 on the right.

y1jr55kri4w9.jpg

Replies

• Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There is a massive change and a good one too! Well done, I can only hope I can be as determined as you seem!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    As above, that is a HUGE change. Your weight loss is steady and sustainable, next Year is coming and you'll be greeting it lean and fit. Let time do the work and be very proud of what you've achieved.
    Thanks for posting the pictures, they're very inspiring.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dude... you got this in the bag...

Your desperation (your words not mine) to get to goal weight is what is holding you back... let the desperation go as this "need" to "hurry" and get there is setting you back.. and not psychically... but it what is stirring around upstairs (in your mind)...

Set a couple of small goals to reach the last (what 30+ pounds)... each day set and reach a milestone, before you know it will be setting weekly milestones, and so on and so on...
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Massive difference, you look great, honestly! !
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Matt, you look absolutely wonderful, my friend B) Congratulations on your success so far! This is a huge accomplishment and it certainly shows in your pictures :) I really do see the difference, but I know all too well that feeling of not being able to see it yourself when you look in the mirror or at pictures. I'm in the middle of my journey to lose more than 200lbs. So far I've lost 120lbs in 10 months. While my clothes sizes have changed, my mind's eye still sees the same 369lbs woman staring back at me in the mirror. I, too, have weeks where my scale barely budges...and omg, those weeks of water gain which nearly kills me inside! But I know it's all temporary because I am continuing to do the right things every day for myself. I stick to my routines and try to never let myself get deterred. So you see, you're not alone. I'm right there with you for many of your feelings, my friend. Try to be patient and remain focused. I've heard that it may help to shock your metabolism by having a sudden drop in your calorie intake for a few days (still keeping it healthy though). Bottom line is that you should be so very proud of all your hard work! Don't let getting off these last few pounds depress you like this. They will come off and you will see your goal one day very soon, Matt :)
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins this race. You've come along way and are looking great. And let that little girl in the backpack be your inspiration.
  • MattBoySlim
    MattBoySlim Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses all, they're really helpful and cheered me up. Are we sure its not the beard making the difference.

I know its just a waiting game now, just sometimes feel like I'm done with this chapter and ready to move onto the next.

So taking the comments on board, I think I need to find something else to focus on while I keep plodding along with weight loss.

I don't really do any "formal" exercise, I started to at the beginning of 2012 with a PT, but as I wanted a life long changes and couldn't see myself going to the gym 6 days a week forever I knocked it on the head. Instead I chose to be generally more active, like walking dogs more etc. I'm glad I took this route as some of the sites I found for inspiration like 344pounds seem to have disappeared/gained the weight back. I really wanted to avoid that happening.

Towards the end 2012 I started weight training though and really enjoyed it, I didn't restart after traveling (we had a baby and house to renovate), but have been planning to when I hit 200lbs. Reason being, you cant really see muscle growth when your fat, and I wasn't convinced I would get muscle growth whilst in a calorie deficit. So figured at around that weight I would be able to up calories a little and still lose weight.

I think that plan needs to be pulled forward, I have enough equipment, just need to sort out the spare room and get cracking.

Thanks again.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You look like a new person!
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me, you look awesome!!

I know exactly how you feel, I've lost 10lbs and some days I look in the mirror and I can see the change and I feel great. Other days I can't see the change at all and I wonder why I even bother!

But you can't lose faith in the journey and in yourself, to me you're an inspiration and you should be so proud at what you've achieved!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think that the extra exercise could be a good idea.
    Like you, I was loathe to do anything that I wouldn't still be doing in 6 Months time (hence my initial reluctance to join a gym)
    I started cycling to work every day last October, it's not far, only a 12 mile round trip but it helps as well as saving me money.
    Now, I don't even think about the car, I just cycle, and that's it so I've found it hugely helpful.
    If you really enjoyed the weight training, it sounds as though it could be the way forward for you.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You're Losing At A Healthy Rate, Keep It Up!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are *inspiring*!! I started at 286 and am just under 250 in 4 months; your transformation though is incredible! Keep doing what you're doing and you'll get better and better; hang in there!
  • Jebber99
    Jebber99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are losing at a healthy rate but if it bugs you quit weighing. Us FFP (formerly fat people) like to punish ourselves. It's time that you do what you can to stop it. We also have very poor self images. The first time I realized I was overweight I was 12 years old and my self image formed. Interestingly that self image never changed. Not when I was a size 8......not when I was a size 22. It is the hardest change we have to make. I don't have much advice there because I haven't addressed it myself. Maybe hypnosis would work. Just know you look great and are on the downhill stretch. Enjoy the victory lap. You are an inspiration to us.