How to get rid of that fear?

I'm getting back onto using MyFitnessPal after being on and off of it. I'm really hopeful this time that I'll be able to reach that goal. When I gained an extra ten pounds my first years of college my goal was to lose those ten pounds. I started working out and began to accept that number on the scale because I was seeing changes in my body. I told myself the number doesn't matter so much because I felt good and I felt I looked good. Unfortunately, I got out of that workout cycle again, and have gained ten more pounds in the past 5 months. This time the number actually scares me. (I'm at my heaviest right now.) Worried that it just won't go down since I've had such a hard time doing it in the past that I just grew to accept the number. Can anyone else relate? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• grammyhoyt
    grammyhoyt Posts: 19 Member
    I know what you're talking about. For me, faithfully logging food and exercise and patience to wait for the loss to come is the thing that gives me the strength to continue on toward my goal.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    I think you need to be a little realistic. 21 lbs is not a great deal of extra weight. I would suggest putting all your stats into MFP and set a realistic weight loss goal of 1 lb a week. This will give you an achievable calorie goal. Log everything accurately and eat back half of any exercise calories MFP calculates you burn. Consistency will then see this excess gone well before the end of the year...
  • fattylardkins
    fattylardkins Posts: 14 Member
    @grammyhoyt Thanks for the advice! I really hope being more serious and patient this time will help me reach my goals! :)
  • fattylardkins
    @juleszephyr I really liked your suggestion with regards to being consistent! Thank you :)
  • frederick7891
    frederick7891 Posts: 2 Member
    It seems to me that your issue is not losing the weight but actually breaking that cycle which makes you put on the weight. Once you break that cycle, the weight will come off and stay off too.

How do you break that cycle? You have to radically alter your diet completely, I've always believed in the philosophy that the best bodies are built in the kitchen and not at the gym.

Limit your carbohydrate intake to under 130 grams and replace the calories with proteins and fats. (from good fats sources). Doing this will mean you stay fuller for longer and less likely to snack on junk. If you do feel like snacking choose something with zero to low carbs and high fat or protein like peanuts.

Exercise regularly like you would do and just follow the basic principle calories in vs calories out.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You arent being logical about it though. Eat at a consistent calorific deficit and you will lose, which is your responsibility and deal with by your own mental discipline. Make small targets and buil up confidence that way.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    I take monthly progress photos and combine them into one large picture. I can scroll down and see the month-to-month changes.
  • fattylardkins
    @frederick7891 Thanks for the insightful post!
  • fattylardkins
    @999tigger You make a good point! Thanks! Any tips on how you personally build up that mental discipline? My poor mental resolve is one of my biggest enemies when it comes to losing weight, sadly.
  • fattylardkins
    @CipherZero Sounds like a really good way to motivate yourself! Thanks for the tip!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You need to take responsibility, do things properly avoid making excuses and get on with it. I apprecuate for many people its difficult and soemtimes I find it hard or just eat something thats a bit more calorific than I want, but I take responsibility and work hard to get back on track, never wont cant frustrated depressed when it comes to weight loss dont enter my vocabulary. I have a very powerful focus that accepts what happens and does soemthing about it, many dieters spend too mucch emotional energy on getting frustrated, depressed, sad or making excuses instead of using that energy to get things done.

Keep it simple, do it well , focus on eahc day and each lb then you will get what you want. Mental attitude and being smart, knowing how to motivate and look after yourself are importnat tools.

You talk about poor mental resolve, mine is awesome and powerful, nothing short of a bomb or me being run over will prevent me from target. Believe in yourslef, understand what you have to do and make the commitment you will follow the plan you have till its done, then do it. Follow your well though out plan and its a winner, its straightforward. Dont start until you are ready to do what it takes.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited May 2015
    Fattylardkins - REALLY! Your name makes me want to cry for you. It's like you are your own bully. I don't even know you but I am sure that you deserve better than that.

I hope you do something good for yourself today and then have a really nice day!

• christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Fattylardkins, I'm in a slightly different situation so I can't really comment. One thought though, your username sounds like a negative self fulfilling prophecy. How about something more positive like FutureFitnessGodess?
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Oops, that would be FutureFitnessGoddess...sorry
  • fattylardkins
    @christchick7 Thanks for your response! I really appreciate it. I guess it's also just my personality that likes to make fun of itself but I will definitely take your advice with being more positive :smile:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    It seems to me that your issue is not losing the weight but actually breaking that cycle which makes you put on the weight. Once you break that cycle, the weight will come off and stay off too.

How do you break that cycle? You have to radically alter your diet completely, I've always believed in the philosophy that the best bodies are built in the kitchen and not at the gym.

Limit your carbohydrate intake to under 130 grams and replace the calories with proteins and fats. (from good fats sources). Doing this will mean you stay fuller for longer and less likely to snack on junk. If you do feel like snacking choose something with zero to low carbs and high fat or protein like peanuts.

Exercise regularly like you would do and just follow the basic principle calories in vs calories out.
    why does she need to eat under 130g of carbs? carbs are not what make you fat