How many carbohydrates is a lot?

im averaging about 150 grams per day. Is that considered low carb?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I consider 400-500g a lot. One day...!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    No, that is not low carb. It seems like most people on low-carb diets are aiming for under 30-40 G/day.

I try to stay under 100 G a day, which I consider moderate carb. Yes, I have a medical reason why I need to do this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    150 would be about a third of my calories or more, and more if you have lower calories, and is higher in calories than my protein or fat goal, but not dramatically so. So to me that's moderate carb, if you want a label.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    why does it matter? as long as you're in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member

Unless you are one of a large percentage of people for whom it makes all the difference...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited May 2015

Unless you are one of a small percentage of people for whom it makes a difference...

FIFY
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    im averaging about 150 grams per day. Is that considered low carb?

It depends on what your goals are.

What are your goals?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Unless you are one of a large percentage of people for whom it makes all the difference...
    What "large percentage" would that be? Please define and cite it. Thank you.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    The CDC says 9.3 % of US population has type 2 diabetes, 25.9% of people over the 40+ million over 65 in the US. Doctors advise that they limit their carb intake. Many others are insulin resistant, prediabetic or at risk for diabetes and are avoiding the diagnosis by limiting the number of carbs they consume. Diabetes is the 7th highest cause of death in the US.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    The CDC says 9.3 % of US population has type 2 diabetes, 25.9% of people over the 40+ million over 65 in the US. Doctors advise that they limit their carb intake. Many others are insulin resistant, prediabetic or at risk for diabetes and are avoiding the diagnosis by limiting the number of carbs they consume. Diabetes is the 7th highest cause of death in the US.

So you're mixing diabetes treatment with low carb weight loss? OK.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    I think what people mean with "low-carb" is 30 grams or lower or something, so they get into "Ketosis". I tried it years ago, felt horrible and never did it. I lost some weight, but it was water weight and came back soon after. Personally, I lost all my weight with a calorie deficit. Macro wise, I focused on high protein, low-fat and a medium-low carb intake, but that's mainly to ensure I get enough protein in my diet and don't binge on fatty foods all day long, lol.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I'm averaging about 350g so to me 150g would be low carb
  • frederick7891
    frederick7891 Posts: 2 Member
    Anything under 130 grams is low carbs, anything above to 150 is moderate, beyond that is high