Increasing stamina after long term illness

Options
CarolynB38
CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi
I used to be fit, even when I was fat, but due to being ill for many months I have lost any stamina I had before. In fact, my stamina is absolutely rubbish! My strength isn't too bad but with all the extra weight I don't feel as strong as I should be. My muscle strength also deteriorates very quickly when exercising.

I am now in a position to be able to exercise again but I am finding it extremely frustrating because the lack of stamina is totally demoralising, especially after having been very fit in the past. I need to get over this so I can increase my stamina to the point that I enjoy exercising again. I do karate twice a week but struggle to get through a lesson without losing strength in my muscles and feeling like I need to sit down!

I lead quite a busy life and have two kids and can't get to a gym however I have a small amount of space in my living room and there's always the outdoors. I have some Dumbbells and stretch bands and a yoga mat. I would welcome any strategies to increase my strength and stamina so I enjoy exercising again, can get through a karate lesson and exercise for a decent length of time before losing all the strength in my muscles. I'm not expecting miracles; I know it's going to take a while. I'm just not sure where to start! Do I start with short intense sessions, long gentle sessions, strength training, cardio?

I do suffer with hypothyroidism which is proving difficult to treat effectively. This does complicate things but it isn't insurmountable. Other than that, I am reasonably healthy now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me :)

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I got through your post and the end you mention a medical condition... you symptoms such as muscle loss/strength, fatigue , etc.. and not being able to get through (an hour of somewhat light to intense/vigorous effort?) seems pretty serious..

I was going to make a best effort to answer your questions, but metabolically and physically you have issues in which the only suggestion would be to seek medical advice and/or get on a treatment that may or may not involve medication..

If you do not want to seek a doctors advice, then only you can determine where your starting point is/will be and how much effort you can put into it.. and improve on this daily or weekly and go as fast/slow as you need to.. I would not feel good about telling you to do XXXX and it totally be the wrong thing for you to be doing..
  • CarolynB38
    edited May 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I got through your post and the end you mention a medical condition... you symptoms such as muscle loss/strength, fatigue , etc.. and not being able to get through (an hour of somewhat light to intense/vigorous effort?) seems pretty serious..

I was going to make a best effort to answer your questions, but metabolically and physically you have issues in which the only suggestion would be to seek medical advice and/or get on a treatment that may or may not involve medication..

If you do not want to seek a doctors advice, then only you can determine where your starting point is/will be and how much effort you can put into it.. and improve on this daily or weekly and go as fast/slow as you need to.. I would not feel good about telling you to do XXXX and it totally be the wrong thing for you to be doing..

I am under a doctor and apparently I am now adequately treated however, after months of inactivity, I have no stamina. I have been told to start exercising again but I don't know how to increase my stamina. Apparently there is no reason why I can't eventually get back to being fit. I suppose I will need to start like someone completely new to exercise but having never been there until now, I don't know how to do that. It is very likely I am expecting too much of myself. The only advice from the doctor was to start slowly and build up but that's not particularly helpful!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply :)
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Stamina is about cardio. Suggest using the C25k app. Even if you don't intend to do a 5k, it will build your cardio so that you can sustain other workouts.
  • CarolynB38
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    Stamina is about cardio. Suggest using the C25k app. Even if you don't intend to do a 5k, it will build your cardio so that you can sustain other workouts.

Thanks. I have done something similar years ago (way before smartphones, lol) which is how I got into running. I am class I obese at the moment but I suppose I could apply it to walking using intervals of brisk walking in between gentle walking. When I have lost some weight and gained some stamina walking, I could do it again with running intervals. I doubt it would be considered sensible to run at my weight and appalling level of fitness (I am 213lb at 5ft 6).

Thank you. This is a really helpful suggestion :)
  • grammyhoyt
    grammyhoyt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Make sure your thyroid levels are correct, some of your symptoms remind me of the exhaustion I felt prior to my Hashimoto's diagnosis
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There's really no reason you can't run at your height/weight. It's not dissimilar to mine and while when starting lugging the extra weight is a lot of effort, with a good pair of shoes and realistic expectations it can be done. I started C25K but it triggered long term panic attacks (long story) but up until that point I was making good progress.

Now I'm doing Insanity at home, again, I'm pretty overweight but I'm in month two and still going. Don't let your weight and dreams of being lighter put you off just starting. I know how that feels, I was a gymnast and dancer and two years of ill health after several years of not great health had me at absolute zero fitness wise, you'll be surprised how quickly you can increase your capabilities.

But I would agree with others who say to make absolutely sure you are signed off to work out, your weakness could just be due to being unfit but they could also be a sign you're not quite as stable as you should be.
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    grammyhoyt wrote: »
    Make sure your thyroid levels are correct, some of your symptoms remind me of the exhaustion I felt prior to my Hashimoto's diagnosis

Yes, my levels look pretty good now. I can only take T3 (cytomel) so I am gradually finding the right dosing schedule. I'm pretty close now :smile:
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    There's really no reason you can't run at your height/weight. It's not dissimilar to mine and while when starting lugging the extra weight is a lot of effort, with a good pair of shoes and realistic expectations it can be done. I started C25K but it triggered long term panic attacks (long story) but up until that point I was making good progress.

Now I'm doing Insanity at home, again, I'm pretty overweight but I'm in month two and still going. Don't let your weight and dreams of being lighter put you off just starting. I know how that feels, I was a gymnast and dancer and two years of ill health after several years of not great health had me at absolute zero fitness wise, you'll be surprised how quickly you can increase your capabilities.

But I would agree with others who say to make absolutely sure you are signed off to work out, your weakness could just be due to being unfit but they could also be a sign you're not quite as stable as you should be.

Thanks. This is very motivating! I'm glad you are getting your fitness back :smile:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    CarolynB38 wrote: »
    I am now in a position to be able to exercise again but I am finding it extremely frustrating because the lack of stamina is totally demoralising, especially after having been very fit in the past. I need to get over this so I can increase my stamina to the point that I enjoy exercising again. I do karate twice a week but struggle to get through a lesson without losing strength in my muscles and feeling like I need to sit down!

I went through the same thing after heart surgery - one day I could hump all my work stuff eight miles, no problem, the next week it took all I had to walk 150 feet.

Be patient with yourself. It will return with work.

Read this for the story of how it can be done.
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    CarolynB38 wrote: »

I went through the same thing after heart surgery - one day I could hump all my work stuff eight miles, no problem, the next week it took all I had to walk 150 feet.

Be patient with yourself. It will return with work.

Read this for the story of how it can be done.

A very inspiring story! If you can do it after open heart surgery there should be no stopping me!
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend with similar frustration. She was very fit, but could not exercise during cancer treatments and lost her conditioning. Also hypothyroid. Hang in there. It is hard, but doable.
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    pcrucifer wrote: »
    I have a good friend with similar frustration. She was very fit, but could not exercise during cancer treatments and lost her conditioning. Also hypothyroid. Hang in there. It is hard, but doable.

Thanks. I hope your friend's recovery goes well :smile:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I exercise way less than many of my MFP friends. I simply don't have the stamina.

Overtraining will not make you stronger. It will make you even more tired, and can even lead to injury. Please listen to your body.

MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism