Starting dieting again, and need some advice.

Options
I have a hard time sticking to my diet already being surrounded by family who eats almost everything fried :s i was raised on cooking some what unhealthy and i dont know how to step away from that 100%. I have two kids (3 & 2) and is lucky if i have time to work out. If any home fitness suggestions. Then maybe just suggestions on staying focused since i have a boyfriend who can eat everything in this world and not gain a pound so he pushes me to eat anything and everything he eats.

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time sticking to my diet already being surrounded by family who eats almost everything fried :s i was raised on cooking some what unhealthy and i dont know how to step away from that 100%. I have two kids (3 & 2) and is lucky if i have time to work out. If any home fitness suggestions. Then maybe just suggestions on staying focused since i have a boyfriend who can eat everything in this world and not gain a pound so he pushes me to eat anything and everything he eats.

Your post has some red flags into me. No offense meant but your blaming your family and your boyfriend. In the end it's you that controls how much you eat and what goes into you mouth. Also be careful of this idea of healthy and unhealthy foods. Food is just that food and yes some are better nutritionally than others but they all can add something so the idea is to get some balance.

Weightloss is all about the calorie deficit. You can exercise all you want but if you're eating too much you wont lose weight. Rather than throwing too many new things at yourself at once I would suggest sorting your food out first. Eat smaller portions weigh and measure all your food and log it, then introduce some exercise around your busy daily schedule. Maybe go for a walk with your children just small things add up in the end. This thread will give you some great tips but remember you control things not others

good luck

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My advice would be stop dieting, start making a lifestyle change. Diets just tend to lead to disaster and eventual weight gain.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. So often, we take our cues from other people when it comes to what and how much we eat. That's why people clean their plates at restaurants, even when they give you enough for three people, and why using smaller plates works, even when you know you are using a smaller plate.

First, tell your boyfriend what you are trying to accomplish and how he can help you accomplish it. If he is worth anything, he'll be glad to help. If not, its time to get rid of him.

Fried food is okay, in moderation, but look for better alternatives to fit into your diet where you can. Make sure that you have plenty of vegetables available and fill your plate with vegetables first. Then, when you take a small helping of the fried food, it isn't because you are trying to cut back, but because you don't have room for it on your plate.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person saying to make a "lifestyle" change. That is why this site is so good. You can eat anything so long as your intake stays within whatever criterion you have set up (calories, carbs, protein, etc.) While certain foods are obviously better for you than others, you should never completely eliminate any food you like to eat. You may just eat it less often. When I started my issue was portion control more than anything. If you are good about entering EVERYTHING on here you can quickly see what you are consuming and changes can be made accordingly.

In order to get around being affected by those who are close to you, you will have to make up your mind that this is something you need. I started a vegetarian lifestyle about 3 years ago. Most of the people I ever eat with are not. They always try to pick places that offer such options. Generally, however, I've found few places that offer me no options in this regard. People usually will not inhibit you if you let them know it's important to you!

I'm big on smoothies... They're healthy, quick to make, and you can use most fruits and or vegetables with almond or coconut milk. Add protein powder if possible for added nutritional value. Your kids will like these too!

I have a gym membership but like to workout at home mainly. Go to sites like Spark People, Popsugar, or set up a Pinterest account. You can find lots of ideas for workouts that don't require equipment at all. If you have a DVD player, look for workout videos that can be done in a small amount of time. I have a variety of Billy Blanks, Leslie Sansone, Jillian Michaels, and Zumba.... All can be done in 10-20 minute chunks. At worst, grab your kids and take a quick walk.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have four children that are 7 and under, so I know the no time for exercise excuse very well, but you have to make time for it, you can even find things to do with your children. We go on walks, dance, play sports outside (soccer, basketball, tennis), inside the home I have bicycle pedals, a gazelle glider that folds up, and I do several different workout DVD's. Exercising has definitely helped me in that I feel more energized and happy. As far as the food situation, you need to find healthier alternatives to what your family eats. Eat at your suggested deficit and stay strong. You can do this!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    When you first start setting your boundaries, people might be irritated. For example, I no longer share. I work out and weigh the calories of every gram of food that goes into my mouth so no, you cannot grab a chip off my plate or have a bite of my biscuit and I will no longer offer. Other people need to stop offering too. They will learn if you are clear and consistent about refusing. No.. I do not want a taste of that or spoon of that. No, I do not want a handful of that. Eventually it sinks in and people will stop constantly forcing food and drinks on you.

Once you have established your plate boundaries, start establishing boundaries for other things to. No, I do not need to eat fried rice just because the rest of the family is eating it. I want something else (maybe even a bowl of ice cream for dinner!) No, I do not need to eat at a certain time just because everyone else wants to eat at that time. Eat the things you want, when you want to. You can cook for others or sit with others, but if they want to eat things that you do not want to fit into your allowance, just sit there and smile and eat what you want to eat.

The push back will settle down and people will get used to the fact that eating for you is private and specific. It will become the norm and then it will be much easier.