No Judgement: what little things/weird habits to help maintain your weight

Options

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I have only been maintaining for a few weeks, but I intend to continue doing everything I did to lose my weight for the rest of my life. Like the OP, I'm 5'4, but I weigh between 140 - 143. I have lost about 82 lbs. so we are similar in that respect. I did (and still do) the following:
    1. Log everything I eat
    2. Drink plenty of water
    3. Exercise most days of the week including challenging myself with some form of exercise I've never done before (currently, preparing for a Warrior Dash)
    4. Eat healthy meals and snacks (gotta have my snacks) at least 75% of the time
    5. Eat in moderation and have some self-control
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Fasting and under eating
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I often have a bowl of soup as soon as I get home from work around 7.30 Pm - as I'm starving by then it keeps we from overeating whatever's for dinner...
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I made derogatory remarks about the office doughnut-bringer's mother. She never offers me doughnuts anymore.

You... I like!
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to soda. In order to keep it at by I put Crystal Light in my water, all the sweetness & none of the calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    blossom015 wrote: »
    Backstory: I've been at my goal weight for approximately 9 months now.
    Stats: female, 5'4", 127lbs +/-. Lost 80lbs

I use to have a sweet tooth. Therefore, in order to keep it a bay I don't keep sweets readily available. For example, instead of baking an entire cake or pie I purchase individual slices. I figure out of sight is out of mind...

What are some of the little things you do to help maintain your weight?

I keep most sugary sweets out of the house as well. I keep some low sugar treats around, for desserts etc. But, I must admit that after a "reset" of my taste buds when I started (by eliminating all pastries, cookies, candies etc for a time) I find that I don't really crave things like pie, cake, cookies any more. I have a few things left that I could easily over indulge on, or indulge too often, so I don't keep them lying around.

Maintaining for about 13 or 14 years now.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I made derogatory remarks about the office doughnut-bringer's mother. She never offers me doughnuts anymore.

I literally laughed out loud at this.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing. What's been most helpful for me is planning my weekly dinners in advance and then shopping accordingly. I write out the menu for the week on a white board so everyone knows what to expect (and they can save their complaints, LOL) and it's a good reminder to me each morning of what I need to do for the day (defrost something, set up crock pot, etc). It's also lowered our grocery bill significantly - shopping lists are very specific - and helps me avoid just grabbing things off the shelf because they look appetizing. :)
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I love fashion and I don't wear yoga pants and things with elastic waist bands much...my wardrobe is not forgiving of gaining 10 pounds. I have a supportive family. I walk a lot. I find a reason to walk somewhere nearly every day.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Laura3BB wrote: »
    I often have a bowl of soup as soon as I get home from work around 7.30 Pm - as I'm starving by then it keeps we from overeating whatever's for dinner...

I like this. I always have soup around so this would work for me.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I bought 6" pie and cake pans and I always freeze leftover cookie dough so I can cook 2 at a time. ..same thing with frozen Parker house rolls. I thaw just two.

If I want something salty and crunchy I have all kinds of pickled vegatables on hand.

Getting my fiancé on the same page with diet has made a huge difference.
    Wish I I didn't like frozen cookie dough!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    1. I still weigh stuff even though I know how big a portion is after years of weight watchers and the past three years on MFP.
    2. I throw out food if I see myself going through the whole package in one sitting (I don't know why it's so hard to find 1oz. packages of chips).
    3. I only get ice cream when I'm out. Although I do keep frozen fruit bars around.
    4. I eat off of small dinner plates - I think I have one regular sized one around still.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I have 1/4 cup of really good ice cream every night - usually with cashews. I started when I was losing. Tastes wonderful. Does everything I want it to do. Completely satisfied with that amount. Oh, and if you put plain yogurt on it, the tart cream flavor is awesome on the sweet - like cheesecake is good with a sour cream frosting. Yum.

Weirdest thing? My kids and husband think I'm a loonbin for counting out the 51 pretzels in a serving or the 22 chips in an oz. What can I say? There are times I want to eat them, but I want to know how much.

Do you leave the broken chips? I don't understand why bother doing all that when you could put a bowl on the scale, zero it, pour one ounce of chips and be done.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I limit the "ready to eat" food that's in my house- things like granola bars that only need to be unwrapped, cookies / chips that only need to be pulled out of the bag, etc. That way, snacking is a little more inconvenient because it requires some more thinking, planning, and prep work to make it happen.

It doesn't stop me completely, but it does cut down on the ability to eat without thinking or eat just because I'm bored.

• vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have 1/4 cup of really good ice cream every night - usually with cashews. I started when I was losing. Tastes wonderful. Does everything I want it to do. Completely satisfied with that amount. Oh, and if you put plain yogurt on it, the tart cream flavor is awesome on the sweet - like cheesecake is good with a sour cream frosting. Yum.

Weirdest thing? My kids and husband think I'm a loonbin for counting out the 51 pretzels in a serving or the 22 chips in an oz. What can I say? There are times I want to eat them, but I want to know how much.

Let's just be weird. Weird is so much better than unfit and unhealthy. It's that mindless uncontrolled eating that got us here in the first place.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

:s Ouch! But effective. Just like the dietician at my dads rehab facility. She was at least 100 lbs over-weight. Just saying!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options

I used to do this, too. Just a quick suggestion though: weigh out the portion on a food scale instead, if at all possible. It will be more accurate and save you a bunch of time! ;)

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Love this!!!!!

I am also still losing, but incorporating high levels of protein in my meals and snacks has been really helpful in eating at a deficit without hunger. I also do at least 30 min of heat-pumping exercise nearly every day.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I maintain by eyeballing food and not logging exercise. Seems to balance each other out! And shows you how much extra you eat when you don't weigh things.
  • blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    blossom015 wrote: »
    I try to use some sort of vinegar based or cayenne pepper on certain foods to boost metabolism and encourage weight lost.

That's a myth

It's okay to laugh. I've even tried drinking a few ounces of vinegar prior to eatting a high fat/calorie meal such as fast food. I read some where that it's suppose help your body burn fat/calories better. Pure vinegar is actually kind of gross.