Help - 1200 is tough, but I'm not really losing much weight!

Options
Please help!!!
I'm on 1200 and generally sticking to it. I do go over but its only really into my exercise cals - over a week I'm in the 'green'.
1200 is just about manageable most of the time but I find I can only do it if I skip breakfast - once I have my first meal of the day I just get more and more hungry. This seems to be regardless of what I eat or when. I've tried adding more fat and protein. Can't decide if its helping or not.
Plus, even though I seem to be hitting the 1200+/- and am still exercising regularly, I've only lost about 0.35kg a week.

TBH I'm getting a bit tetchy!
Is this just a hump I need to get over?! :/

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by you are not really losing much weight?
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You seem to be losing at a great rate!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    .35 kg is just under a pound, right? Your profile says you only have 17 pounds to lose, so that's right about where you should be. Any quicker and you risk losing muscle mass along with the fat (that may be happening now as well, depending on if you do strength training and have adequate protein intake).
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you are legitimately eating only 1,200 calories per day, you should be losing some weight. I would guess that you're not accurately eating 1,200, but either underestimating your food intake or overestimating your exercise burns or a combination of both. This may not be intentional on your part; we're all guilty of eyeballing and guessing. I don't know your stats or goals, but I'd wager that 1,200 is to low for you. You're struggling with it, skipping breakfast, and ready to throw in the towel. This is not something you can sustain. I'm eating just under 1,600 per day and still losing slowly. The winner is the one who can effectively eat the most, while still losing. Find that balance for yourself.
  • ellenmarie319
    ellenmarie319 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I will let others critique your calorie goals/weight loss problem. As for being hungry after your first meal of the day, I had this problem. I found that if I load up on carbs in the morning for my first meal I dont try to eat everything in sight. I eat a mini bagel or piece of toast to get the carbs up.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Agreed with everyone, you are losing at 0.5-1 lb/week, which is great for the last 20 lbs. But make sure you are doing some kind of total body resistance training and upping your protein because this is the stage when muscle loss escalates, with little fat left to lose.
    What kind of deficit are you eating at wrt your TDEE?

ETA: As for your hunger problem, try some low calorie high volume foods like ridge gourd and bottle gourd.
  • schrinerdc
    schrinerdc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever ever skip breakfast. Eating in the morning will help boost your metabolism. Also, try some HIIT training. The high intensity will help you burn calories all day long even when you're not doing anything. Keep it up and good luck.
  • Mary0519
    Mary0519 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I see lots of things happening. 1. How much are you going over on your daily intake? If it's 300-500 cals that could be the bust right there. Are you counting calories correctly? Are you counting your exercise correctly? 2. If you do the same exercise every day - day in/day out your body becomes accustomed to the routine and you will not see the same changes in body and weight loss as when you first started. You need to mix it up with another routine. If you run all the time try Zumba or another exercise that works other muscles. 3. 1200 cal's is tough to maintain, I don't know enough about you but you may be in a starvation mode and your body is holding on to every calorie just to maintain. 4. Spend calories wisely. Eat breakfast! Skipping it does more harm than good. The body needs fuel to function. A protein like Greek yogurt (non fat is 130 cal a cup) with berries or banana or granola with a little honey. It's filling and healthy intake of protein/vitamins. Drink Almond non fat milk (30 cals a cup) it's high in protein, low in fat and loaded with calcium. Drink water!! You do need some fat in your diet but take in healthy fats like avocado instead of mayo. Stay away from fatty meat, eat healthy proteins like chicken, fish, lean pork - not ham (ham has a lot of sodium). Measure everything and account for everything! Snacks are good because they help keep the metabolism going, but snack healthy - an apple/FF popcorn/low fat granola or protein bar. I'm sure you know a lot of this already, but sometimes reading it again will trigger an "Oh yeah, that's right I forgot" Hope this helps you and good luck!! : )
  • GreenIceFloes
    Options
    schrinerdc wrote: »
    Never ever ever ever skip breakfast. Eating in the morning will help boost your metabolism.
    Mary0519 wrote: »
    you may be in a starvation mode and your body is holding on to every calorie just to maintain.
    Eat breakfast! Skipping it does more harm than good.
    Snacks are good because they help keep the metabolism going

Nah.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever ever skip breakfast. Eating in the morning will help boost your metabolism. Also, try some HIIT training. The high intensity will help you burn calories all day long even when you're not doing anything. Keep it up and good luck.

Sorry but this isn't true. Meal timing has no effect on your metabolism.

I was the same way as the OP. I now push my breakfast off until 10am. I drink black coffee in the mornings until then and it has helped eliminate a snack that I was needing to get through the mornings.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I see lots of things happening. 1. How much are you going over on your daily intake? If it's 300-500 cals that could be the bust right there. Are you counting calories correctly? Are you counting your exercise correctly? 2. If you do the same exercise every day - day in/day out your body becomes accustomed to the routine and you will not see the same changes in body and weight loss as when you first started. You need to mix it up with another routine. If you run all the time try Zumba or another exercise that works other muscles. 3. 1200 cal's is tough to maintain, I don't know enough about you but you may be in a starvation mode and your body is holding on to every calorie just to maintain. 4. Spend calories wisely. Eat breakfast! Skipping it does more harm than good. The body needs fuel to function. A protein like Greek yogurt (non fat is 130 cal a cup) with berries or banana or granola with a little honey. It's filling and healthy intake of protein/vitamins. Drink Almond non fat milk (30 cals a cup) it's high in protein, low in fat and loaded with calcium. Drink water!! You do need some fat in your diet but take in healthy fats like avocado instead of mayo. Stay away from fatty meat, eat healthy proteins like chicken, fish, lean pork - not ham (ham has a lot of sodium). Measure everything and account for everything! Snacks are good because they help keep the metabolism going, but snack healthy - an apple/FF popcorn/low fat granola or protein bar. I'm sure you know a lot of this already, but sometimes reading it again will trigger an "Oh yeah, that's right I forgot" Hope this helps you and good luck!! : )

1. She said she's in the green for the week
    2. No it doesn't
    3. Starvation mode doesn't exist, and she's losing anyway
    4. There are people who do fine not eating breakfast or snacks, and your metabolism is going 24/7 until you die
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Nope. It won't boost your metabolism. Breakfast is not mandatory.
  • ghealai
    ghealai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody

Wow, thanks for such useful and speedy replies! Exactly whats needed when you start losing the will..

So firstly, diet and measuring calories: I'm weighing everything. I am a little more 'flexible' with salad items such as lettuce or cucumber - if for example I know a piece of cucumber in my salad weighs next to nothing, and will therefore have very few calories, I might not bother recording it. On the flip side, if its something potentially high cal and I don't have a precise weight for some reason I usually err on the side of caution and go for a higher estimate.
    I was veggie for a few years and these days I don't eat much meat. I have started eating wafer thin chicken slices during the day. Think they help fill me and get the protein up. For fats, I am careful with cheese, but allow myself a bit and I've also started eating more nuts, to see if either help with hunger. The rest comes from milk and yoghurt mainly.
    I've actually recently stopped drinking almond milk and moved back to normal milk, just a personal preference. I eat a lot of fruit and veg. Overall, I think I'm pretty lucky to have such a good diet really.

On the metabolism thing. I used to think breakfast was important for metabolism, but I don't believe that anymore. I usually cycle to work though and I do think that exercise generally does get me going a bit. Giving up breakfast is heartbreaking for me - its my favourite meal of the day! But something like a piece of toast would barely touch the sides, so I don't think its worth it. I've wondered about flipping the day and having a big (dinner style) meal in the morning, lunch at lunch time and breakfast at dinner time. I'm scared to try it though because if I get it wrong my cals will go through the roof!

With regard to exercise, I think I'm fairly realistic - I've used google to cover things not on MFP, or in the case of a gym machine I just record whatever the machine says. I realise they can't be accurate but they can't be off by much more than 50% I'm sure, so I think it must balance out over the week. Also, as I'm not aiming to eat back the cals, theres less of an incentive to overestimate. My exercise if fairly mixed between cardio and strength I think. It could always be better, but I can't spend all day doing it!

And on to the weight... I am delighted to have lost some, don't get me wrong. Someone suggested I was losing nearly a lb a week - its more like 3/4lb, so not too far off, and certainly not bad. I think perhaps its an issue of managing my expectations. When I started this whole 'dieting' thing and really started looking in to it all, I discovered that 1200 was the generally accepted healthy minimum for a woman, and according to various sources one could expect to lose 0.5kg (1lb) if one could stick to that. I knew it would be hard but I set myself a challenge! But here I am nearly 6 weeks in, exercising hard (as was usual for me before) and eating less than ever, and apparently plateauing already. So I suppose I'm just a little disappointed not to see more impressive results and TBH slightly concerned that I will forever need to be really diligent with myself just to maintain a borderline 'overweight' physique. In terms of losing muscle mass - I don't think I'm slim enough for it to be an issue yet, and I guess the weight will have to go from somewhere if I'm to get smaller overall... if that makes sense?!

Thanks again one and all, just have to wait and see... :)
  • GreenIceFloes
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ghealai wrote: »
    When I started this whole 'dieting' thing and really started looking in to it all, I discovered that 1200 was the generally accepted healthy minimum for a woman, and according to various sources one could expect to lose 0.5kg (1lb) if one could stick to that.
    It's basic math, you will lose a lb/week at 1200 if you are in a 3500 calorie deficit by the end of the week, or a 500 calorie deficit every day, because 1 lb = 3500 cals. Which means your TDEE has to be 1700 for you to lose a lb/week at 1200 (1700-500=1200). If your TDEE is closer to 1450, you will lose 0.5 lb/week at 1200, and so forth.

In terms of losing muscle mass - I don't think I'm slim enough for it to be an issue yet, and I guess the weight will have to go from somewhere if I'm to get smaller overall... if that makes sense?!
    Losing muscle mass is always an issue; it's only less of a risk in people who are at the higher end of obese (who still do lose muscle, just not as much). At simply 'overweight', you are definitely losing LBM, and apart from not being healthy, this will also probably result in you not looking as 'tight' as you might want. Some form of resistance training is a must at all stages.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some weeks we just don't see much weight loss. It looks like this is going to be one of those weeks for me. I might have even gained weight this week, even though I've been at a deficit all week, with the growling stomach to prove it. But some weeks we lose more than we expect.
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Agree with those saying breakfast is not needed. It has a name IF intermittent fasting. Keep going you are losing weight. Mark it down as success.

Play with macros a bit to help with your hunger. Try more fat and protein. then try more fiberous carbs. you said you eat veggies so you've got low cal fiber with those. Real dairy milk is a sugar/water mixture if it is skim or low fat.

Keep going you are doing great!
  • ghealai
    ghealai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's basic math, you will lose a lb/week at 1200 if you are in a 3500 calorie deficit by the end of the week, or a 500 calorie deficit every day, because 1 lb = 3500 cals. Which means your TDEE has to be 1700 for you to lose a lb/week at 1200 (1700-500=1200). If your TDEE is closer to 1450, you will lose 0.5 lb/week at 1200, and so forth.

"GreenIceFloes", thanks again for the input. I am aware of the maths. Thats kind of my point though - as far as I can see there is no good reason why I wouldnt be in sufficient deficit to be losing closer to a kilo a week. My estimate of my TDEE is between 1799 and 2145 depending on ones definition of 'active'. Perhaps I shouldn't be counting any activity that would be included in my 'normal' routine, as the TDEE calcs are already assuming a certain level of activity.

MrM27 wrote: »

OP, it's been 1 week and you did lose weight, I'm not seeing the problem.
    After 1 week you've already tried to make adjustments to your intake which isn't necessary. You need more patience.

And MrM27 - I don't know what you mean 'its been a week'

Thanks everyone else :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

absolute unadultered hogwash! Ignore this
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Nope to pretty much all that^^^^^

OP, it's been 1 week and you did lose weight, I'm not seeing the problem.
    After 1 week you've already tried to make adjustments to your intake which isn't necessary. You need more patience.

Not true.

Listen to this though - because that right there, the part I bolded, is the only thing missing from your weight loss :wink: