Night Time OverEating

Options
javba2
javba2 Posts: 57 Member
Hello I am writing to ask if others also have this problem - day goes by fine - Night's another matter - all that's gained is lost :smile: Any plans on how to handle this.
Thanks

Replies

• sunshine4u229
    sunshine4u229 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as Well. SO BAD. i don't know how to Control it
  • shancourcy16
    shancourcy16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with the same thing!! I have been doing well for one week so far, i.have found that if i eat a little more throughout the day im not as hungry at night. I think i was trying so hard to eat well and stay below my calories all day that i wasnt actually eating enough! Another person mentioned to me that when your hungry at night eat an apple, if you dont want an apple your not hungry. Its a really hard habit to break
    but im sure you can do it!!
  • vickyhurtado93
    vickyhurtado93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have this issue! My friend shancourcy16 is right. I save some of my calories for dinner and eat a little more at dinner. I still consume the amount of calories I want, but I put them where I need them most. I also drink a bottle of water before and after dinner and I try to eat within 2 hours of going to bed. I have found that going to sleep more than 2 hours after I have eaten makes me more hungry. If its really incontrollable eat some carrots or an apple to take the edge off. It is something you have to get your body used to. It took me about 3 weeks to stop the late night munchies habit..but I did it and it was worth it:) you can too!
  • jacksae
    jacksae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very smart vickyhurtado93! I will try n save some morning and lunch calories for my dinner, it's so difficult for me, I always always always crave chocolate frozen yogurt after dinner... I guess it's better than the ice cream alternatives... And I've also tried frozen grapes or frozen cherries as well.
  • gotechgo
    gotechgo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh this is so me. I just love to have some light ice cream or crackers at night. So I've started eating just a big salad at "dinner" and then later when I'm feeling peckish, I'll microwave a veggie burger or veggie dog and just put mustard and pickles or onion on it. Fills me up and at less than 100 calories. I drink a lot of seltzer water all day with fresh lemon slices in it and even though I'll have to get up in the middle of the night to pee, I make sure I drink plenty of water with that last snack.
  • justpeachypink
    justpeachypink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is so me, ughhh!!
    I'm trying to be better about it though. Some days I do better than others.
  • dianna1286
    dianna1286 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I struggle with nights as well. For the last month I've felt like I can't control it and it hasn't gotten better.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing too. I used to skip breakfast because i wouldn't feel hungry, have a huge lunch(which would be my breakfast) and then another huge late dinner.... After stopping eating late I found that I'm hungrier during the day. Also, it's important to have filling and satisfying foods- protein, fibre and so on. Now, even though it's only just week 3 I cannot finish my old evening portion. It's just re-training the body and mind and allowing it to adapt to its new routine and diet! If I have a craving nearer bedtime I would have 1 light baby bell cheese and it satisfies me.
  • javba2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for great ideas and support, I'm going to try the within 2 hours of bedtime, eating more filling food leaning to proteins, cutting the munchies with some carrots.

I have a few tricks, my dinners are around 300, +/_ 50 calories, so I am further subdividing to 100 cal portions, but realistically, there's not a whole lot to go around.

I'd not got any notification of the thread having responses so I was late in answering. Good long weekend y'all.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You might have your target calories set unsustainably low. I usually eat close to half of my calories for the day between 5pm and 10pm, because I like to eat in the evening, but for me, that's ~800 calories.
  • christinawallag
    christinawallag Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a huge issue with this. It's like I get one taste of anything and it starts a chain reaction of just binging. I lost about 27 lbs last month but gained it all back. Help:(
  • javba2
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    You might have your target calories set unsustainably low. I usually eat close to half of my calories for the day between 5pm and 10pm, because I like to eat in the evening, but for me, that's ~800 calories.

Yes that's marginally true - but true - I started out a year ago - and have blown 80 lbs at this time - was 90 lbs - the night time eating has me back to 80 lbs at this time - The issue with night time eating is a "comfort and appetite returning issue" - along with not being able to burn it (as we sleep at night). However I have exceeded the allowance is how I have gained wt - I know this is a tortuous answer - but that's what it is - Night time binging along with inability to keep in the allowance of calories is what causes problem.
  • javba2
    Options
    I have a huge issue with this. It's like I get one taste of anything and it starts a chain reaction of just binging. I lost about 27 lbs last month but gained it all back. Help:(

Slow and Steady wins the race - all forms of diet changes which leave you hungry will fail - hence the massive wt loss followed by gain again.

My recommendations - calculate calories needed for a 1 - 1.5 lb wt loss per week - Divide them in 5 smaller meals and this way you're never more than 3 - 4 hours away from a 250 - 300 calorie meal - Next BIG recommendation - Stay away from anything that tastes sweet including diet drinks, fizzy drinks, energy drinks. The insulin release by "sweet tasting" "Zero Calorie" foods and drinks causes Hunger i.e. - Insulin = Hunger.

If you doubt that connection - Just think of your favorite food - it will water your mouth - that's your body getting ready for the food - including "insulin release cephaic phase". Sorry for the technical jargon but some of us will need to know this stuff.
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This has also been my biggest issue. I've learned that if I eat five times a day 3 to 4 hours apart it helps. The days that go good for me:
    Start with breakfast of 2-300 (shake or bar usually).
    I make it to lunch with no issues and the 3-500 (lean and green),
    MUST have that mid afternoon snack of 2-300 (nuts, lite cheese with wheat thins, yogurt, bar, shake whatever)
    Dinner lean and green, the more veggies the better 4-700
    Then I go ahead and log my day complete and pre enter what I'll have after dinner. Somehow this seems to get my mind involved with the plan. Banana, apples with a little peanut butter, mixed fruit, cottage cheese whatever fits in my plan for the day.

If I miss the afternoon snack the evening seems really difficult.

Just my two cents.