Having 1700 kcal per day then going to 2200

Options
timo9627
timo9627 Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi i just wanted to know if it's alright moving from a 1700 kcal diet to 2220 kcal for lose just the last fat remaining and build some muscles at the gym 'cause before with 1700 the gain in muscle was low.
MFP says me that with 2700 kcal i mantain so with 2220 i will lose some other weight right?
Thank you

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are really close to your goal, which makes me think that you are not going to fall into the "overfat beginner" category of people who build muscle in a deficit. I definitely think that you should up your calories and kind of think that you may want to up them higher than 2220. But I'm not the best at figuring out good calorie levels for men so I'm hoping that somebody else pipes up here.

In the meantime, how tall are you? What are your current and goal weights?
  • timo9627
    Options
    I'm tall 6 ft 1.62 in (187cm) and i am 185 lb, i was 206 lb about 2 months ago. By the way i want to lose some fat but at the same time build some muscle. And i'm afraid if i up my calories i'm going to get back what i lost, so i figured out if i eat something between 1700 and 2700 is good.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Have you been at 1700 for a while? Your metabolism likely slowed down if you have, so when you up your calories you'll want to ramp them up slowly. About ~100 calories a week. Look up reverse dieting for more info.
  • timo9627
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Have you been at 1700 for a while? Your metabolism likely slowed down if you have, so when you up your calories you'll want to ramp them up slowly. About ~100 calories a week. Look up reverse dieting for more info.
    Yeah, about 50 days. So if i moved from 1700 to 2200 i will gain some fat back?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    timo9627 wrote: »
    Yeah, about 50 days. So if i moved from 1700 to 2200 i will gain some fat back?

Not if you're reverse dieting and under your TDEE. You'll be fine. You'll definitely gain some weight as glycogen and water, but don't let that scare you.
  • d1664256
    d1664256 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The glycogen comment is right. And when those reserves replenish, it comes with water. So the scale will look worse than what's really happening.
  • timo9627
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And if i increase 300 kcal at week will i gain fat or it is ok to do the reverse dieting? i mean from 1700 to 2000
    By the way thank you for the answers
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    timo9627 wrote: »
    And if i increase 300 kcal at week will i gain fat or it is ok to do the reverse dieting? i mean from 1700 to 2000
    By the way thank you for the answers

It's hard to say, I'm actually not really aware of any studies on this. But it is known that your metabolism is slowed when in a deficit for a long duration. The idea is that the metabolism can adapt to gradual increases more effectively than a big jump, and also, a gradual increase keeps you from overshooting your guesstimated TDEE.

This study may be relevant, it's at least an interesting read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22475574/