scale not budging

Options
I have been extremely faithful on counting calories 1500 a day and exercising every day..30.45 min. High intensity on eliptical. I have been at this 4 wks..NOTHING!!! I DON'T GET IT! PRIOR I was midnight snacked and probably ate over 2300 calories a day..this does not make sense.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Patience. It'll happen. Sometimes it just takes awhile. Are you weighing your food?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. Are you using a food scale to accurately weigh your food?
    2. Are you holding on to the handbars on the elliptical? This greatly reduces the calorie burn of elliptical workouts.
    3. Four weeks is not very long.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It took me nearly four weeks to lose a pound on 1200 calories a day.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It is highly likely that you are not calculating calories correctly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are eating more and burning less than you think, check your logging or open your diary. Start with weighing food and if you are eating exercise calories then limit it to 25-50%.
  • irishgirl2014
    irishgirl2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the eliptical I am working my butt off..to the point of exhaustion. Do you think the Fitness Pal exercise estimation of calorie burn is way off?
    For instance yesterday I had toast for breakfast, fruit for lunch and 1 chicken breast baked with cauliflower, vinegar and a very small amount of cheese and grapes in the evening.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Switch to the TDEE method and stop tracking calories burned. Exercise is built into that formula.
  • irishgirl2014
    Options
    What's TDEE?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    How many pieces of toast? What kind? What did you have on it? How much of that? How much fruit? How much did the chicken breast, cauliflower, cheese, and grapes weigh? None of what you said is loggable, so it's impossible to quantify the calories-in part of the equation, let alone the calories-out part. Time to invest in a food scale and start logging accurately, methinks.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I personally think MFP calorie burn estimates are off.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I personally think MFP calorie burn estimates are off.
    This.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much weight are you trying to lose?
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Add weight training... I find cardio alone doesn't do much for me
  • irishgirl2014
    Options
    I guess I'll invest in a scale. But I definitely know my calorie consumption is hugely reduced from prior eating habits. It seems as if something would show on the scale. I did weigh after coffee and 2 pieces of toast..homemade white bread..a rarity and probably 1T butter total.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    What's TDEE?

Google is your friend.
  • irishgirl2014
    Options
    I'm 5'3"..40 lbs is what I want to lose.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    What's TDEE?

Google is your friend.

So you tell her to do something and then don't explain what it is? Gee, that's helpful.

OP, switching to TDEE method isn't going to help you if you underestimate your intake and overestimate your exercise. Can you open your diary so we can see how you've been logging?
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    What's TDEE?

Google is your friend.

So you tell her to do something and then don't explain what it is? Gee, that's helpful.

OP, switching to TDEE method isn't going to help you if you underestimate your intake and overestimate your exercise.

I find that it is more educational if people learn for themselves instead of someone just telling them what to do.

Switching to the TDEE method will definitely help her if she understands how it works. Far too many beginners overestimate calories burned.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    @irishgirl2014 The first post in this thread goes a little into TDEE and it has a ton of other great info:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    What's TDEE?

If you go to the stickies at the top of the forum pages, you will find great info, including info on TDEE.

Also, if you just started a new exercise routine, you may be retaining water that is masking any weight loss. This is temporary.

But the best thing you can do is get a food scale and tighten up on your logging.