Burning 1000 calories at the gym?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Agree with your first 2 points. The OP did suggest she has the time to put in. If I was going to do it i'd take rest days and listen to my body, be careful to avoid overtraining, take it steady, hydrate and properly fuel any workout. I'd also need a lot of music. 3-4 hours it becomes easy, but do most people have 3 hours?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SO one time I wore a HRM during a full non active 24 hours that shows how many calories you burn. It said I was burning over 3000 calories just for being alive. I threw that thing away so quick after that.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    hi
    If I was to burn 1000 calories every day at the gym do you think I would be on track for losing 2lbs per week?
    How accurate are the gym machines?
    I weigh 11 stone 12 at 5 foot 2
    Thanks

Technically, if you were eating at maintenance for calorie needs, and you did burn an additional 1000 calories per day above that that you did not eat back, yes. BUT...not likely going to happen, or be sustainable.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Agree with your first 2 points. The OP did suggest she has the time to put in. If I was going to do it i'd take rest days and listen to my body, be careful to avoid overtraining, take it steady, hydrate and properly fuel any workout. I'd also need a lot of music. 3-4 hours it becomes easy, but do most people have 3 hours?

The average American watches 5 hours of TV per day, so yeah, I think most people have 3 hours.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    SO one time I wore a HRM during a full non active 24 hours that shows how many calories you burn. It said I was burning over 3000 calories just for being alive. I threw that thing away so quick after that.

That's not how you use it. It isn't made to be worn 24 hours.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hi
    If I was to burn 1000 calories every day at the gym do you think I would be on track for losing 2lbs per week?
    How accurate are the gym machines?
    I weigh 11 stone 12 at 5 foot 2
    Thanks

diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. You don't have to burn any calories with exercise to lose weight, though it helps in that without exercise your calorie targets will be paltry at best. Weight control is most efficiently achieved through your diet....exercise is for fitness.

you would be hard pressed to burn 1,000 calories in the gym day in and day out. Even when I'm actively training for an event, I don't burn 1,000 calories everyday with my training. It's not impossible, it's just not really advisable, particularly as I doubt you have any clue as to how to actually feed your body appropriately for that kind of activity.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible to burn 1000 calories per day in the gym, I do it just about every time I go (running about 8-10 miles, averaging 8 minutes per mile). My weight loss numbers back up this calorie burn calculation. My concern would be if you're eating 1200 calories and burning off 1000. This is not sustainable, and will leave you exhausted, potentially injured, and likely to give up.

The typical person cannot run 10 miles (for me it would be more like 11 or 12 miles for 1000 calories) per day, every day, so while it's possible, skepticism is reasonable when someone proposes that. So often they mean going from the couch to that level of activity, which clearly is 100% unrealistic. (On the other hand, some people also have lengthy bike commutes or active jobs, so there are a variety of ways people can routinely burn a lot.)

In any case, I agree it's possible, and I totally agree with your point about that level of activity requiring extra calories.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

That's not how you use it. It isn't made to be worn 24 hours.

Well I trained long enough to know my difference in intensity levels.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible to burn 1000 calories per day in the gym, I do it just about every time I go (running about 8-10 miles, averaging 8 minutes per mile). My weight loss numbers back up this calorie burn calculation. My concern would be if you're eating 1200 calories and burning off 1000. This is not sustainable, and will leave you exhausted, potentially injured, and likely to give up.

Your average MFPer isn't going to be out running 10 miles per day, nor is that really advisable. From a fitness performance and recovery perspective, rest is just as important as the work. And given other posts from the OP, she really doesn't know what she's doing in the first place so advising 1000 calorie burns really isn't a very good idea.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You can, but it will take you a while. I usually do this, but I take a break. I would burn 400- 600 calories, take a break, and then do the rest. I usually end up doing about 3 hours of cardio if I'm trying to burn 1000 calories in one gym session. It's much easier if I break it up: walk for 90 minutes in the morning, walking for 90 minutes after work. I go by 50% of whatever the machine reading gives me because exercise machines aren't accurate for most people. This method is tiring... but fun if you like this kind of thing, but it is better to focus on your diet than burning 7000 calories through exercise weekly.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your average MFPer isn't going to be out running 10 miles per day, nor is that really advisable. From a fitness performance and recovery perspective, rest is just as important as the work. And given other posts from the OP, she really doesn't know what she's doing in the first place so advising 1000 calorie burns really isn't a very good idea.

I will say it like if you question something to burn 1000 calories then more likely you don't need to be training that way.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You can, but it will take you a while. I usually do this, but I take a break. I would burn 400- 600 calories, take a break, and then do the rest. I usually end up doing about 3 hours of cardio if I'm trying to burn 1000 calories in one gym session. It's much easier if I break it up: walk for 90 minutes in the morning, walking for 90 minutes after work. I go by 50% of whatever the machine reading gives me because exercise machines aren't accurate for most people. This method is tiring... but fun if you like this kind of thing, but it is better to focus on your diet than burning 7000 calories through exercise weekly.

Three hours of walking at 3mph comes out to 9 miles covered .... a 200 pound person nets about 540 calories from that.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Using MET tables comes to out to a comparable number using more math.

• llUndecidedll
    Options

Three hours of walking at 3mph comes out to 9 miles covered .... a 200 pound person nets about 540 calories from that.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

I usually walk with an incline of 9 to 15 % at 3 mph-ish. I can only sustain this for about an hour. I have done it for 100 minutes once, but it was a bit much... but I completed my little personal challenge.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I usually walk with an incline of 9 to 15 % at 3 mph-ish. I can only sustain this for about an hour. I have done it for 100 minutes once, but it was a bit much... but I completed my little personal challenge.

That amount of incline is enough to roughly double the burn of flat terrain ... assuming it is all up hill (rarly done in the real world) and no mechanical advantage provided if using a treadmill.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Most people who do that hold the bar though, so you can remove 20% of the burn easily.

I did 9% at 3.5mph without holding to anything and was completely beat after an hour. Not sure what my burn was but the treadmill said 500 calories, so probably less. Can't even imagine doing that for over 2 hours to burn 1000 calories... just nope. I haven't even been able to do 9% without having my calves screaming at me since... but I'm not giving up!
  • llUndecidedll
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That amount of incline is enough to roughly double the burn of flat terrain ... assuming it is all up hill (rarly done in the real world) and no mechanical advantage provided if using a treadmill.

Yep, I'm sure the treadmill gives me some advantage. That's why I try to walk at a good incline. I know that I'm much better at higher inclines than brisk/speed walking, so I just increase the intensity of my cardio session by upping the incline. I keep it uphill the entire time or would that be half the time? I choose a mountain climbing program where it takes me from 9 to 15% incline, then reverses half way so it then goes from 15 to 9% incline. Either way I never go below 9% and never hold onto the rails. I think it's fun and challenging enough for me.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yep, I'm sure the treadmill gives me some advantage. That's why I try to walk at a good incline. I know that I'm much better at higher inclines than brisk/speed walking, so I just increase the intensity of my cardio session by upping the incline. I keep it uphill the entire time or would that be half the time? I choose a mountain climbing program where it takes me from 9 to 15% incline, then reverses half way so it then goes from 15 to 9% incline. Either way I never go below 9% and never hold onto the rails. I think it's fun and challenging enough for me.

Now that's pretty awesome!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread is herp and derp.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well....according to the MFP calculator, I burned 2005 calories playing racquetball for two hours yesterday. YMMV
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options